How do I stop cell standby from draining my battery?

AzureFDemon

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, cell standby has been a major problem of mine for a long time. I know that it has something to do with connecting to WiFi while idle or sending streams of data required by some apps, but I don't know how to reduce the battery strain. It's battery drain can range from taking up to 25%-50% of my battery life, whether or not I use my phone during the day, and my phone will only last about 1/2 of the day. I have been looking up ways on how to solve this on other popular threads on this site, but none have had any lasting solutions. I have done the usual battery saving tactics like turning down brightness, scanning for Wi-Fi, location, Google now, Bluetooth, sync settings, disabled bloatware that I don't need that commonly suck up battery life on other Galaxies, attempted both turning on and off advanced calling, and attempted the method where you wipe the cache partition and reboot the device, and reset the settings and restored to factory defaults, all of which only reduced the battery strain a little bit. For the love of Pete, does anyone know how to fix this?

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, cell standby has been a major problem of mine for a long time. I know that it has something to do with connecting to WiFi while idle or sending streams of data required by some apps, but I don't know how to reduce the battery strain. It's battery drain can range from taking up to 25%-50% of my battery life, whether or not I use my phone during the day, and my phone will only last about 1/2 of the day. I have been looking up ways on how to solve this on other popular threads on this site, but none have had any lasting solutions. I have done the usual battery saving tactics like turning down brightness, scanning for Wi-Fi, location, Google now, Bluetooth, sync settings, disabled bloatware that I don't need that commonly suck up battery life on other Galaxies, attempted both turning on and off advanced calling, and attempted the method where you wipe the cache partition and reboot the device, and reset the settings and restored to factory defaults, all of which only reduced the battery strain a little bit. For the love of Pete, does anyone know how to fix this?

If you tried all that and it still is not good your choices come down to if you want to keep the phone or not. I wouldn't bank on a software update fixing the problems. I had both the S6 & S6E, returned them both in the buyers remorse 14 day period and just cut my loses. Software updates for android won't overcome the physical limitations of battery capacity of this S series.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, certain things will help battery life, but nothing can get rid of this issue in the long term. Just have to wait for an update to fix it. It's a lollipop issue, so we can only do so much.

Posted via the Android Central App

Im with you 100%. However it is a temporary fix that may have some positive results for someone.

Just like myself it has kept Cell Standby off my top used battery drainers. Whether it keeps the battery alive longer is purely speculation.

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Im with you 100%. However it is a temporary fix that may have some positive results for someone.

Just like myself it has kept Cell Standby off my top used battery drainers. Whether it keeps the battery alive longer is purely speculation.

I don't doubt the positive results one bit. I turned my advanced calling feature off, Verizon, and it's been significantly better. I recommend it to everyone, especially on Verizon because it doesn't seem to be quite ready for primetime yet. Factory reset cured a lot of my issues with battery drain as well, however the cell standby issue is still there, and will continue to be there until it's addressed with an update. It's not just an issue with the s6/edge, it's unfortunately a lollipop issue. If you aren't seeing cell standby drain anymore, or very little, I would guess you aren't on Wi-Fi very often? Or you're just very lucky lol

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If you tried all that and it still is not good your choices come down to if you want to keep the phone or not. I wouldn't bank on a software update fixing the problems. I had both the S6 & S6E, returned them both in the buyers remorse 14 day period and just cut my loses. Software updates for android won't overcome the physical limitations of battery capacity of this S series.

A software update, assuming they're working on a fix, will absolutely take care of the prime culprit, which is the cell standby issue while on Wi-Fi. If/when that update comes, the battery life should be nothing short of acceptable, if not amazing. As it is right now I get pretty great battery life with my edge while still dealing with this standby issue. When it's fixed it can only get better. Hopefully they bump us up to 5.1 sooner rather than later. We shall see.

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I do know the Verizon S6 (and I think Edge?) have received an update and some are reporting good results after installing it. Hopefully it is fixed and can roll out to other carriers -- this way we won't have disable things like VoLTE or HD Voice.

You can read more on that here -- http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/535622-verizon-software-update.html

ATT had this update weeks ago and it did not solve cell standby.

Scorpion747

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
ATT had this update weeks ago and it did not solve cell standby.

I think that this update has combine previous update from other carries plus new things from Sammy like the "fix" for the rotation problem. This wasn't included in other update by the other carries.

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Exchanging won't fix this issue. It's a notorious Lollipop issue that has yet to be fixed.

Most likely. But doesn't hurt to try. Could also exchange it for another phone, not another S6E. Just saying doing something better than nothing....

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Most likely. But doesn't hurt to try. Could also exchange it for another phone, not another S6E. Just saying doing something better than nothing....

Not sure at all how that would be better. Really makes no sense, considering we know what's causing the issue, and it's not designated to this phone alone.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure at all how that would be better. Really makes no sense, considering we know what's causing the issue, and it's not designated to this phone alone.

I understand both sides of the ball. It's better to say you tried than to never have in the first place. However as stated there isn't much that can be done anyways.

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I understand both sides of the ball. It's better to say you tried than to never have in the first place. However as stated there isn't much that can be done anyways.

With all due respect, I don't get that mentality at all, given what we know about this issue. Considering what goes into making this phone, the edge especially, it's wasteful and pointless, in my opinion, to exchange for an issue that will be there either way. Just makes no sense to me. To return it and go with a different device is maybe one thing, although the issue will still be there if it's running lollipop below 5.1, but to exchange for the same device with the same OS version and hope for a different (read better) outcome is ridiculous to me... But, to each their own.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
With all due respect, I don't get that mentality at all, given what we know about this issue. Considering what goes into making this phone, the edge especially, it's wasteful and pointless, in my opinion, to exchange for an issue that will be there either way. Just makes no sense to me. To return it and go with a different device is maybe one thing, although the issue will still be there if it's running lollipop below 5.1, but to exchange for the same device with the same OS version and hope for a different (read better) outcome is ridiculous to me... But, to each their own.

Well Darthhen, who stated to exchange the device, said not to exchange for another S6E. I based my response off of that. I assumed that was understood. Oops. xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol