Torn between S6 and the S6 Edge. Would appreciate user experiences!

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I was torn between the two phones. Went to Best Buy and played with both for a good 30 minutes. My impressions were that:

While off - the S6 Edge was stunning. The screen was off and you can see the bend of both sides. Very cool and looks great.
While on - The screen was great on home screen but when I used some functions like the browser and went on webpages, I felt that the edge on the sides were a little distracting and might be a detriment if I would look at the screen for an extended period of time. Though other apps like settings, S health were fine and I have to say that when using camera, the edge screen was actually favorable and I appreciated the curve.

I really want to get the Edge because it is the only phone in the world that has this such design but at the same time I am worried that the edge curves would take away from the experience and that I might get irritated after a month always look at things at an edge angle.
I am already impressed with how the 2560x1440 display looks in person on the regular S6 so should I take the conservative route and go with that?
If anything I am fairly certain my color will be Gold Platinum so maybe that would be flashy enough?

How are other users experiencing this? Am I being too sensitive regarding this edge screen and maybe it doesn't have that much of an effect when one gets used to it?

If you have had ample time with both the S6 and the S6 edge, please share your thoughts!

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Honestly after a few hours of using the edge I felt like it was the normal style and it felt weird to hold anything else. Also dont forget the nifty contact bar on the side (also the fact that the sides glow a colour when a friend calls + I can just cover the heart rate to hang up and send a text). Also during brunch it looks awesome to see my notifications on the side while the screen is off. I dunno its not jsut the edge, its got some added benefits which are also a bit gimmicky but they look awesome

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Get the Edge simply as it looks great
The few little edge feature (favorites/night clock etc) you soon forget they are there IMO
I have noticed on some downloaded apps the menu button falls a little awkwardly on the edge and there is no S View case for the edge
Personally I think it's nicer in the hand

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I preferred the standard S6, but it's not available in 64gb in Ireland. So i bought the edge. Your right, it's a fantastic looking phone, but other than the wow factor the S6 is a more practical phone and I prefer the way it feels in the hand too.
If i was to buy again with both phones available in 64gb I'd buy the standard S6

Posted via the Android Central App

sinisterunknown

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You have to take screen protection in consideration.
The reason I went with S6 is because I am one of those people who can't go without a tempered glass protector. Too worried about getting a scratch on screen from sand or something.
So as it stands now there aren't any proper tempered glass protectors for the edge.
Just thought I'd mention my reasoning.
Can't go wrong with either as the S6/S6 Edge are both beautiful devices.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I really want to get the Edge because it is the only phone in the world that has this such design but at the same time I am worried that the edge curves would take away from the experience and that I might get irritated after a month always look at things at an edge angle.

No I didn't at all get irritated after a month, quite the opposite. Anything that I found distracting or annoying two months ago, I got used to very quickly. You should definitely get the edge imo, because you state the one good reason to get it: you love the unique design as an aesthetic value and without asking what it's going to do for you functionally. I think that's how those of us who love our edge feel about our phones. I'm thrilled to pick it up and use it every time. The regular s6 is just another generic-looking android phone.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The edge doesn't deter that much from a standpoint of usability. Yes, you get some glare from time to time on the edges, but other than that the phone works just as well as the standard S6. Get what YOU want. If you want it because its aesthetics are pleasing to you, then go ahead.
(Granted, i would always recommend NOT going that route but considering the edges don't cause much of an issue at all and the phones are completely identical, you aren't losing at all)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I initially started with the Edge but after a couple days felt the differences were not so beneficial. Plus I the lack to accessories due to the curve screen bothered me, I like tempered glass screen protectors and companies are having a hard time getting them to work and Samsung's own cover damages the display so what good is that.

So I opted for the Straight Six, and after a month or so I started to rethink the Edge but ultimately the slight loss of screen (curves) and overall feeling like I would drop it was enough to keep me on the Straight Six.

Perhaps the GS7 Edge will be a bit different and worth getting. Plus I couldn't get the color I wanted and dragging out the whole color choice thing for months is tiresome.

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm torn between keeping my S6 edge over the release of the S6 active.. In all honesty I'd rather have the water proof IP8 cert over the fingerprint sensor.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between keeping my S6 edge over the release of the S6 active.. In all honesty I'd rather have the water proof IP8 cert over the fingerprint sensor.

Ultimately its your decision. I find having waterproof interesting but not needed nor worth it.
To each their own though.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. Dude I'm in California swimming it up 24/7..lol

*Cringes*

I for one grew up on not having anything electronic near any type of liquid source (Pool, Tub, Beach, etc)
I still respect that rule to this day.

When i had a life proof on my old iPhone, the purpose was for those 'in case of emergency' moments. Gladly i never had any xD

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
If you at all, are interested in collecting lots of cases do not get the edge, you can get a lot of cases for it online but there are a LOT more cases offered for just the S6 and not the edge.

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I like my Edge for aesthetic reasons but realistically, that's all.

I am a little annoyed at the lack of cases and screen protectors that are currently available but with time I hope that will improve.

So if you are more of a practical person, the normal edition could be the way to go.

If you want a phone that hands down looks better but doesn't really offer much significant feature, get the Edge.

If I could go back, I don't know if I would get the Edge again or the normal edition.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Love my Edge, wouldn't switch, but it's purely for aesthetic purposes. It really is COOL and worth the $100.00 IMO. I use UAG cases only and the UAG for the Edge is perfect. I've seen any of the so-called glare, it's a full day battery no matter what I do to it, and it looks real purty naked.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My biggest delight has been how good this phone looks and feels in the case. You can still appreciate the difference of the screen, and because the phone is so thin it doesn't feel chunky at all. I using the spigen slim armor.
Of course naked it is insanely beautiful.