Is there any way to back up an S6 Edge how you would an Iphone?

DJz3ro

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I just bought my S6 Edge and I love it however I found out that there's something wrong with the front facing lense. Theres a black blob on my screen it looks like dead pixels or something in the lense I'm taking it back and exchanging it tomorrow however I changed a lot of settings around and theres lots of pictures and files and etc on this phone now.... is there anyway for me to back up the S6 Edge how you would an iPhone so that every setting I changed will be there when I restore it? As well as pictures, videos, settings, contacts, apps being already downloaded as well as where they are on my home screens?

pbasister

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Download and install smartswitch. Use it to back up your data to your computer..

Then do a factory reset to delete everything from the phone.

1. From the Home Screen go to Menu and then to Settings.
2. Tap Backup & reset and then Factory Data Reset.
3. Afterwards find and select Reset device.
4. To confirm your choice select Erase everything.

DJz3ro

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Its telling me to have both devices ready and to have one receiving and one sending... that's not exactly what I was looking for. I was more or so looking for a way to have some sort of iso maybe of my current phone of all its settings and files and take that ISO and restore it on my new phone.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You only need to use the Smart Switch app on your phone if you are transferring directly from phone to new phone, I've used it and it works excellent. This is useful if your Carrier mails you a replacement phone and you have time to do a direct transfer, just make sure both phones are plugged in. You'll need Smartswitch on both phones.

If you want to back up your phone prior to going to you carriers store to do an instant swap, then download the Smartswitch program for your PC or Mac, Get it here: Samsung Smart Switch™ (look towards the right where it says "Get Samsung Smart Switch"). When you use the Smartswitch on your PC/Mac, you do not start the smartswitch app on your phone. Just start the program on your PC/Mac, plug the phone in and that's it. By default it backs up everything, you can change that in the programs settings if you want.

I found that it restored all my call logs, SMS/MMS messages, pictures, settings, etc. The only thing that didn't transfer over for some reason were my Ring tone setting s for each app that I changed.

One thing I would suggest prior to bringing your old phone back, and this goes with all phones, Encrypt your phone first (Settings -> Lock screen and security ->Other security settings -> Encrypt phone). Tell it to Encrypt the entire phone (it will take a bit). Once it's encrypted, then you can do a factory wipe. This will prevent anyone from being able to recover any files from your phone once you hand it over. I'm in the IT field and I've been able to restore deleted items from a phone after they've been factory wiped. When they were encrypted, it's not so easy and almost nearly impossible to recover anything from it because the encryption key is discarded during the factory wipe and without it, you can't decipher the files.