Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Spontaneously Cracked

cliffy

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm posting this here to see if anyone else has experienced this. My wife has had a Galaxy S6 Edge for about 3 months now, and hasn't had any problems with the phone other than it gets pretty hot when charging. Yesterday, she showed me that her phone had an update but the battery was too low to initialize the update. At that time, the screen had zero cracks in it. She set the phone down on the couch next to me and went upstairs to get her charger. When she came back and plugged her phone in, the phone screen was completely shattered as if it had been dropped on gravel. I know 100% that from the time I looked at her phone and when she discovered it cracked, it had not sustained any kind of fall or impact. I am absolutely at a loss for how this kind of thing could have happened. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having owned many MANY devices I can say I've never experienced this. I also don't know anyone that has.

I do know people that have accidentally damaged their phone and don't actually recall doing it though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see you said put on the couch -- Any chance someone sat on it or an animal jumped up there?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can contact Samsung. If it is a manufacturers defect then they will replace it. But if they determine that it was due to outside forces then they don't cover it m

Personally this has never happened to me on any phone including the s6e or to anyone that I know.

cliffy

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
There's no chance of someone knocking it off the couch, or anyone hitting it and we don't own any animals. She placed it right next to me when I was sitting there. There was no one around me, I didn't touch it, it did not move from its original position, and my wife did not drop it while plugging it in. This is why I'm so dumbfounded: not five minutes before, the screen was fine, during this entire timeline the phone was in my presence, I did not witness any impact or dropping, and now the screen is inexplicably shattered.
My wife called Samsung about it. They said to go to Best Buy and talk to the Samsung rep there about it. The rep noted that the phone gets exceptionally hot when charging, and indicated that it could be related to the screen cracking like it did; the heat causing the integrity of the glass to be compromised (I'm pretty sure it takes a lot more heat than that to do that, but I'm not gonna argue if they're willing to replace it). He gave us a box to send it to Samsung, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
If it truly is a drop free cracking, there should be no other signs of a drop, ie chips in the aluminum bumper or on the buttons. I would try to see if you can get a warranty replacement on this premise. Can't hurt to try. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Before I read the second post from the OP I suspected that heat may have been the issue. I have not used the included rapid/fast charger from day one and I have not had any heat issues. I really think Sammy boo-booed on this "feature"! And yes I have read about other people having their screens "supposedly" spontaneously crack. Cannot remember though which phones they were using.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
My wife had the same issue. She was at the pool with friends. Her edge was sitting in the pool bag untouched. She went to go grab her phone before leaving and the screen was cracked. Right in the center. It was spider webbing out. I'm sure the heat had something to do with it. Thank god we have best buy insurance.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

lalyon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my S6 edge. There was no impact, but there was excessive heat in the sun. I had it under my shoulder while I was tanning, and it must've been too hot for the glass. A crack from the top left to the bottom right appeared. Mind you this is just three days into owning the phone! I contacted Samsung, explained my issue and sent in the phone for tests. They determined that it was not a manufacturing defect; either I pay the $280 repair fee or I use a cracked screen for two more years. Again, three days into owning the phone! Absolutely baffled, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the repair department, talked to a manager, and got it bumped down to $100. Having to pay anything for a defect that was not my fault is appalling. When it happened (in late May), I couldn't find any other instances of this happening online. It's a relief to know someone else had this happen to them.

Also, since you said you sent in your phone to Samsung, if they say it's your fault, be really persistent with them on the phone! Although paying $100 isn't ideal, it's a heck of a lot better than ~$300!

Francois Giroux

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm posting this here to see if anyone else has experienced this. My wife has had a Galaxy S6 Edge for about 3 months now, and hasn't had any problems with the phone other than it gets pretty hot when charging. Yesterday, she showed me that her phone had an update but the battery was too low to initialize the update. At that time, the screen had zero cracks in it. She set the phone down on the couch next to me and went upstairs to get her charger. When she came back and plugged her phone in, the phone screen was completely shattered as if it had been dropped on gravel. I know 100% that from the time I looked at her phone and when she discovered it cracked, it had not sustained any kind of fall or impact. I am absolutely at a loss for how this kind of thing could have happened. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

The same happened to me today as well. My phone was fine in the morning, I had it packed in a bag, in my phone case and wrapped in my spare shirt for the day. I had used it a few times and a couple hours later a crack appeared out of nowhere. WTF this is the second problem I have had with this phone. Samsung has built a horrible phone. I will be calling them again tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

compton845

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me with my Sony Xperia Z3. The problem is with the actually battery expanding on the inside of the device. As the phone overheats the battery expands and that makes the screen crack to due the internal pressure. None of the manufacturers will admit or claim responsibility for this though so be careful.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The same happened to me today as well. My phone was fine in the morning, I had it packed in a bag, in my phone case and wrapped in my spare shirt for the day. I had used it a few times and a couple hours later a crack appeared out of nowhere. WTF this is the second problem I have had with this phone. Samsung has built a horrible phone. I will be calling them again tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

No they didn't. Most people don't have this problem. Are you sure you didn't break it by mistake?

dm718

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
My standard style S6 spontaneously shattered. It's a perfectly centered spiderweb. The battery life was worse than expected leading up to this. Absolutely no user damage. Frustrating, but reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

My husband has had good luck with Samsung phones, but this is my second lemon. I won't speak to quality, but the Apple distribution system handles defective merchandise much more easily than Samsung's system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Michael Ball2

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

This same thing happened to me today not impressed have only had the phone for a few weeks, and also had an update a couple of days ago, been advised to take it back to my local network store tomorrow, will see what they have to say

henrna1

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Spoke to SAMSUNG REPS 4 to be exact and have got nothing but the run around ... How is it that glass just crack? device was not dropped or anything ... notice a small crack in the right upper part of the screen fee minutes later I have additional hair line cracks this is unacceptable. They offered me to send my phone in for repair and be without it for 7 days. After explaining this is my only line of communication all I got was an apology and that's the only option we have .... Contacted my carrier and they stated I could do a warranty replacement for a fee . but why should I have to pay for something that's not my fault ... Carrier rep said until it becomes a known issue by Samsung they would have to charge me ... UN FREAKIN BELEIVEABLE!!! should HAVE STAYED WITH APPLE!!!

Billmh12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My wife had the same problem on her galaxy edge through Verizon. A crack from the upper left all the way down to the bottom. She has had a case on it since she got it covered with a protective screen and NEVER NEVER DROPPED IT! A friend noticed it looked like a crack and sure enough it is. No misuse or mishandling of it.Verizon reps acted like no one could possibly not drop a phone. Anyway, they did not thing, put her on the phone with tech support...NOTHING, then gave her the number to Samsung to call. Can't wait to hear what happens there. There is obviously something wrong because people would not waste their time posting these notices to cover up their own negligence. This is a manufactures problem and we have to continue to push to bring it to their and the carriers attention. I was going to get the edge plus but heck no. After this. A cracked screen they say voids the warranty.
Spread the word, we are not alone in this and yes it is very rare. But we should not be punished by the carriers and manufacturers.

Billmh12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. Will be calling this week and noting what has been posted here. Keep going and let's try and help each other if we get a result.

alusi

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I have exactly the same thing!!! Two phones in 2 months. I just paid asurion $200 for a replacement and it cracked 3 weeks later.:mad: What is the phone number you had to call for this?

Hungryjoe222

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
For those who keep saying that "screens don't crack spontaneously," I want to assure you that they do. I have owned more than a dozen tablets, and none of them ever gave me any screen problems. Then I bought a galaxy s4, and within 3 days a crack suddenly developed in the screen. it went from top to bottom.,and I did nothing whatsoever to cause it. Seems your software is creating problems with my words. Looks as if I'll have to end here. Won't allow me to continue.

italygrl1

May 5, 2014
Visit site
That is very strange. You also didnt hear it do anything while it was sitting next to you? I would think you would hear it shatter like that. Very strange..These phones have gorilla glass which is supposed to be pretty strong...Good luck with the outcome