New T-Mobile update today 9-10-15

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my S6 edge, it didn't notify me, I just checked for updates and there it was.

So far I can confirm that video calling is now enabled, RCS, New touchwiz icons, Live broadcast (Youtube) and Apps Edge, the log also mentioned that included Samsung pay, if it also contains other things that the today's Note 5 update brought, it may be good, there are already reports that the RAM management seems to be fixed, finally.

I can't confirm this yet as I don't have my s6 edge with me now and I've been very busy at work today, but be my guest and please post results here.

Last edited:

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I checked on my edge on a whim and there it was. It's a beefy 410MB. The update matches the Note 5 in look and feel. We'll see about RAM management. Hopefully they patched the cell standby drain while they're at it.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I hate the updating system of Android. Like people in Australia wouldn't like fixes for the exact same thing. The updating system is one thing I HATE with a passion about android and LOVE about ios

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
It's not something that's easy to solve considering the diversity and customization. It's not an easy solution, if there even is one in the current state.

JoeR32

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Took like 35-40 minutes. Feels smoother also a few new apps
3c0790dd035dc66d60f4fad311ffe11b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
It's not something that's easy to solve considering the diversity and customization. It's not an easy solution, if there even is one in the current state.

If Samsung REALLY wanted to they could do the same as apple and bypass the carriers and allow updates through peoples Samsung accounts. Their company is big enough to demand that. They just choose not to

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung REALLY wanted to they could do the same as apple and bypass the carriers and allow updates through peoples Samsung accounts. Their company is big enough to demand that. They just choose not to

That would be so much easier. I have always wondered why they choose not too. We as Android customers get kinda bent over with how much control the carriers have over updates and our devices. As much as I don't like apple, they take no shortcuts with having NO carrier logos, tramp stamps (looking at you, Verizon) carrier bloat ware and timely updates. IMO, that is the main disadvantage android has with iOS

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
That would be so much easier. I have always wondered why they choose not too. We as Android customers get kinda bent over with how much control the carriers have over updates and our devices. As much as I don't like apple, they take no shortcuts with having NO carrier logos, tramp stamps (looking at you, Verizon) carrier bloat ware and timely updates. IMO, that is the main disadvantage android has with iOS

There's something I love so much about getting my updates on my iPhone six plus in Australia at the exact same time as my boyfriend and best friend in America. Waiting literally weeks or months for Android updates to reach Australia from America not so much

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
This is all about carrier pull and having multiple companies making Android devices. Samsung doesn't have that pull. No one else but Apple has it because of the insane popularity it gained and how carriers were foaming at the mouth for iPhones. Apple easily would just say no and they wouldn't care. (e.g. ATT exclusivity for the first few years.) They were in the driver's seat.

The exception (generally) are Nexus devices. If you want the latest software on Android, it's gonna be with a Nexus...unfortunately.

But we can dream, right?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
This is all about carrier pull and having multiple companies making Android devices. Samsung doesn't have that pull. No one else but Apple has it because of the insane popularity it gained and how carriers were foaming at the mouth for iPhones. Apple easily would just say no and they wouldn't care. (e.g. ATT exclusivity for the first few years.) They were in the driver's seat.

The exception (generally) are Nexus devices. If you want the latest software on Android, it's gonna be with a Nexus...unfortunately.

But we can dream, right?

Are you for real? Samsung just defeated Apple as the number one phone company so what are you talking about they don't have the pull

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Just a few observations on this update after 3 days. They seem to have fixed the CPU throttling issues that I've been seeing since the release. The phone would get warm or hot for absolutely no reason more often than not. With the update, I've seen a vast battery improvement since the update from 14-15 hours to about 20 (based on the battery runtime estimator) on a full charge. I've also noticed that wireless charging is also much faster since the phone doesn't spend as much time at the higher clock speeds when it's at idle. Overall the update is much better. I'm interested if anyone is seeing the same improvement on their S6 edge.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
On the video calling any idea who you can video call?

Is it only Samsung to Samsung?

Works to another Edge only for us...

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
On the video calling any idea who you can video call?

Is it only Samsung to Samsung?

Works to another Edge only for us...

As of now only between S6, S6 edge, edge +, and Note 5. Being a T-mobile feature not a Samsung feature it will be available to other devices as soon as T-Mobile begins to update them. PLUS, the person initiating the call must have VoLTE activated and working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz