S6 Edge - Weird Battery Problem

koki911

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I am hoping this isn't just another thread on poor battery performance, as I am quite stumped by the behavior of my phone.

I've had the phone less than a week, I bought it used. From Wednesday to Friday, the battery drain was super fast and it runs HOT sometimes, to the point I have to take it out of my pocket. It lasts me half a day at work... where I am not using it much. I thought I had a dud battery and was preparing to take it to a service center and pay for a new battery. However, I wake up Saturday morning, and notice that by the time I brush my teeth and get dressed, the phone is still at 100%, not 95% like it was the first three days. I go the whole day (until about 9pm without a charge, and the battery doesn't get hot). Same thing on Sunday. On the weekend I use the phone a lot more, playing games etc... so I'm quite pleased with the battery life.

I wake up this morning, and the battery life is back to being garbage and running hot. It's lunch time and I've had to plug it in because I was down to 7%. I guess the phone doesn't like work days...

I haven't changed any settings, haven't added anything, so I am trying to figure out if there is something in my weekday usage that the phone doesn't like. The only things I can think of are, I run Google play music on my commute, I use my alarm on weekdays, and this weekend I was home for the most part, so would have been on wi-fi a majority of the time. The only thing I can think of is that the phone is getting bad reception and that is draining the battery? In terms of usage, Google Services is 7%, Screen is 6%, Facebook, Android and Google App - 5%.

Anybody have any ideas or any ways I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

TerFar

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar weird problem in my S5. It would seem OK for a day or two, then it would go bananas. I've got a battery app installed and this normally shows between 1% and 1.5% per hour discharge with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. So I get at least 3 days light use from it before recharging.

Then out of the blue it starts a heavy discharge (sometimes 7% an hour). The battery app showed normal discharge until around 3am when at about 73% it took a nosedive. Another morning I picked it up to go out and found it had dropped overnight from full to just 22%. I had to take it with me, so I turned it off. When I got back home about 2 hours later, I turned it back on before plugging it in to recharge and it had dropped to 7% while it was turned off.

It turned out to be a faulty battery. A new battery solved the problem. It was less than 2 years old. I purchased a genuine Samsung replacement (£12 from Amazon), but I don't suppose genuine Samsungs are any better than than the third party alternatives that claim to be unpackaged, bulk buy versions of the Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles