Looking for user feedback of their GS6 Edge battery life

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
If you're a die hard samsung or android fan boy (not really concerned about apple fanboys on an android forum :p) you can just leave now. So for my next phone I'm stuck between the GS6 Edge and iPhone 6S. The battery life is the most important, my job requires me to be able have at least 3 hours of on screen time using relatively power hungry apps but nothing too extreme (google chrome :p and a CAD viewer mostly). I know those who want extra battery life should go 6S+ or Edge+ but I absolutely hate phablets, they're too big, not to mention more expensive (already have to shell out an extra $100 for the 64GB option on both....).

Basically I'm looking for real world feedback from users here on their GS6 Edge battery life (I mean if you have a 6S too then you're welcome to post too). Like how much on screen time you get on average and after a day what your battery % is when you get home. Thanks.

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have owned the S6 edge since Sept. 18, so I've had it for a little over a month. As for the battery life- I will classify it as disappointing. I have not made it from 7 in the morning to 11 at night without having to charge it up (usually around 4pm). Also, I keep battery saver on 24/7 and my screen brightness is probably 30% indoors, 50% outdoors. If I were you and you require a phone that you can use away from an outlet for an entire day, STAY AWAY from the S6/S6 edge. I am looking into buying a portable battery as I write this to help keep the phone juiced up during the day. iPhones aren't known for their incredible battery life but I almost guarantee you will get better battery life on a 6S vs S6 edge. Unless you spend your day at a desk with an outlet right next to you to charge your phone, I (sadly) must recommend you don't get the edge. It's too bad because I love everything about it aside from the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Disabled some Google features and set the screen brightness to around 50%.
Today I played Real Racing 3(I set it to high/60 fps by using Samsungs new app 'Game Tuner') for some time. I used Google Maps and talked on Skype.

Edit: Most of the time I get an LTE signal (today LTE+) for like 6 hours.

Attachments

• 1222.jpg
    1222.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1221.jpg
    1221.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 1220.jpg
    1220.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 1219.jpg
    1219.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 83
Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for responding guys. I have to say I am more disappointed with that than the 6S battery life. Even though iOS is more optimized than android, I still would've thought the bigger battery would've yielded better results. Posted a thread on an apple forum but for the 6S battery life and they were complaining about the 6S battery, but at least 3-4 hours of on screen time with light/medium usage is better than <2 hours... My LTE signal is really good (like 50-60 dbm average) where I am so hopefully the battery will be slightly better with both phones, no access to wifi most of the day so that might cancel out the better signal.

Li-ion is definitely showing its age, hope we get a new breakthrough in battery tech soon :)

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I typically get 5-6 hours of screen on time. That all depends on what coverage is like where I work at (hospital basements suck for service in case you didn't know). It hasn't been very often where I don't get at least 4hrs of screen on time.

neebi007

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I typically get 5-6 hours of screen on time. That all depends on what coverage is like where I work at (hospital basements suck for service in case you didn't know). It hasn't been very often where I don't get at least 4hrs of screen on time.
Well i wud say it completely depends how you use your phone. Battery was rubbish until new update. How i get long battery is disable all unwanted apps.
Then under battery setting you can disable apps to start at startup. Most of the google and samsung syncs are disabled. Brightness is on auto. Power saving enabled. Battery last me all day with 6 to 7 hours of SOT.
best thing is it comes with fast charger which charge this phone 0 to 50% in under 10min.

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Well i wud say it completely depends how you use your phone. Battery was rubbish until new update. How i get long battery is disable all unwanted apps.
Then under battery setting you can disable apps to start at startup. Most of the google and samsung syncs are disabled. Brightness is on auto. Power saving enabled. Battery last me all day with 6 to 7 hours of SOT.
best thing is it comes with fast charger which charge this phone 0 to 50% in under 10min.

Those SOTs are amazing I disabled most of the apps in my battery settings. I'll test it today. 😊

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
My Edge has been on (location/Bluetooth/wifi/data) since 8 am this morning. At 4:30 pm I popped it on the wireless charger just because it was convenient. My battery showed 84% life.

I feel the battery life of this phone is much better than the battery life of my now dead S4.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Go over to GSMArena and look at the recent battery tests they did. Spoiler, the iPhone has a better battery, about 1 hour more talk time than the Samsung S6 (not the Edge, but a close model), which comes in second. Big disappointment in the test is the new Nexus 5X, whose battery just plain stinks.

Bottom line, not a whole lot of difference in iPhone and Samsung battery life. And that will vary according to how you set up your phone and I would say you have more flexibility in that area with Android. Your decision should be more based on which phone you like the best, which feels better in your hand and which OS you prefer.

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
And also Marshmallow should give us a better battery life than Lollipop.

This is an excellent point!

I've read reviews which say that Doze (I believe that's what the feature is called), which turns off most apps when your phone's screen in turned off, adds greatly to the battery life of the phone!

What's unknown is how quickly Marshmallow will arrive, but once it does, it should add significantly to battery life.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Not that great.. But that's too be expected with a super thin 5" smartphone. I use wireless charging and a moto 360 to keep it going all day. My nexus 6p should be here in a couple weeks. Hoping that one can make it all day.

dao hong

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Fast charger can charge this phone 0 to 50% in under 10min. Real? Is it hurting battery? How to adjust the screen resolution on full hd rather 2k?

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Last Sunday I got 5 hours of on screen time before having to charge at 15% battery life remaining. Most of that time was spent playing Game of War. I went from the GS4 to the 6 and my battery life is much better with the 6 than it was with the 4.

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Last Sunday I got 5 hours of on screen time before having to charge at 15% battery life remaining.

I reached like 3h SOT and my phone was on for like 11h 30mins and for how long did you use your phone. Wondering if my stats are good enough. ☺

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Neither of these phones is going to guarantee you 3hrs of intensive use. You might get, you might not, but in either case I wouldn't leave home without an external battery pack. On the plus side for the S6 edge, fast charging is awesome, and there are external fast-chsrging packs available (I haven't used one though, so I can't vouch for how they perform versus a wall charger). That said, iphones tend to charge relatively quickly as well

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Neither of these phones is going to guarantee you 3hrs of intensive use. You might get, you might not, but in either case I wouldn't leave home without an external battery pack. On the plus side for the S6 edge, fast charging is awesome, and there are external fast-chsrging packs available (I haven't used one though, so I can't vouch for how they perform versus a wall charger). That said, iphones tend to charge relatively quickly as well

I have an external battery pack that has Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 and it charges at about the same rate as the wall charger that came with the phone

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Don't suppose any of you guys use 3rd party launchers? Because I'd imagine touchwiz is a big part of terrible battery life. I currently have a GS4 with the same size battery and get maybe 2 hours of on screen time (using nova launcher). I use it more conservatively than I would like to though, like keeping airplane mode on a lot, dealing with the stuttering with power saving on, constantly greenifying background apps, etc... Btw my uncle has a iPhone 6 and with an iPad charger, charges in 60-70mins so I can expect about the same on the S6 Edge even though it has a larger battery thanks to the fast charger.

I kinda have an OCD where I constantly worry about maximizing battery life even when it doesn't matter lol. I have always jailbroke my iOS devices and if I were to get the S6 Edge hopefully I would be able to find a working root method, so should have no problems tweaking either.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought this phone shortly after launch so I've had it for however long that is. I can tell you right now I'd go with the iPhone. This phone (edge) has abysmal battery life. I have done all the tricks and blah blah blah and it still sucks. I get up around 9-10, normal use, I'm at work around 3 and usually need to have it on a charger around 6 because its nearing 10% or less. This is not even a gross exaggeration. My girlfriend has an iPhone 6 and that thing blows mine out of the water in the battery department. I also recently got an iPhone 6 from work and it too last much longer. I've owned Android for years since switching from an iPhone 4 I believe, and I'll be going back to Apple. In all honesty, no company making Android phones has figured out battery life. It isn't a top priority for them. Go with Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome