Strange message after lockup / hard reset

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I just had something really odd happen. My Edge locked up (wouldn't wake up from black screen). This has happened to me before, as some others. Anyway, I performed a hard reset as I've done in the past using power, home, down volume. Usually I get the 4 or 5-option text screen with start normally, safe mode, etc. But this time I got a full-screen warning that I was trying to install a custom OS and how dangerous that was, and to press the down volume to just reboot normally or (I think) up volume to install the custom OS anyway. Naturally, I pressed down volume and the phone booted normally.

The phone hadn't shown any unusual behavior prior to that. The only thing I'd mention is that the last thing I remember was that "Amazon Music with Prime Music" had just updated, and very early this morning when I first woke up I noticed that Android Pay had updated overnight. But I'd been using the phone all morning before this happened.

I'm wondering if "something" tried to take over my phone somehow. I coincidentally just read how it's possible for malware Android apps to root your phone without your knowing it, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. If you were trying to get into recovery, the volume up button should be pushed in that combination.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, I was just rebooting as usual, since it was locked up. Hence volume down as I've always done.
The volume down is the classic way to get into download mode for Samsungs, which is the method to reflash stock ROMs, kernels, recoveries, etc.

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Really? I could've sworn I always used down. But I guess I had a short in my brain this morning.

But you've answered my question, it makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc