Camera app upside down

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone since May with no issues. As of a few days ago, my camera app launches upside down. All the icons are upside down and if I take a photo it comes out upside down. If I turn the phone upside down, the app will flip right side up. I can then flip it back and its fine.

Also, if I'm reading something in chrome and it flips to horizontal mode it won't flip back to vertical. The same trick of flipping upside down works or I have to close and reopen the app.

I have restarted and checked the auto rotate setting. I have not tried factory reset yet but may try that. I have a Verizon phone so I can't get to the gyro calibration screen. Any other way to force a calibration?

Any ideas or suggestions?

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't sound like the (old) failed accelerometer issue that I (and many others) had on early S6 Edge phones - those would just fail to rotate completely, and stick in one orientation.

The way I confirmed my failed phone was with the Play Store app called "Phone Tester" which showed my Z-axis was stuck at some ridiculous value, like -32767. I mention this because you might get some insight into the issue you are having by loading it on your phone and seeing if the accelerometer and/or the gyro are functioning correctly.

If they are working properly, then a reset might be in order.

Good luck.

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the Phone Tester App. All sensors appear to be working--none are stuck and they all respond to movement.

So I tried the factory reset. Auto-rotate seems to be working on all apps except for the camera. the camera launches and remains upside down. When I take a pic, it comes out upside down. Even the menus are upside down. I tried downloading the Google camera app--same problem. It sounds like a hardware issue but I don't know what since all other apps function correctly.