Samsung S6 Edge - Marshmallow - 'Unfortunately, Messages has stopped'

A

AC Question

Hi, I recently updated my S6 Edge to Marshmallow 6.0.1 and since then I get the 'Unfortunately, Messages has stopped' error whenever I send or receive an SMS text message from someone I've not sent or received a text from before. Sending and receiving texts from existing contacts works fine, its only for new numbers I have added
So far I've tried the following:
- force stopping, clearing the cache and data from the Messages application
- uninstalled Facebook & FB Messenger
- cleared the system partition cache
- removed the update to the 'Android System Webview' application
Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what else to try
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try also clearing cache from the Contacts and Contact Storage app, since the Messages app is presumably trying to interact with the Contacts.

chiefnewin

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi, tried those two as well and did the Messages cache and data again, restarted but still get the same fault. Any other suggestions? Its only since doing the upgrade to 6.0.1 that the issue has occurred

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't be sure about Smart Switch because I've never used it myself--but from what I've read and discussed with other Ambassadors, there should be an option in Smart Switch to install the firmware (as there was with Samsung Kies). Do you see anything to that effect?

chiefnewin

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Installed the Smart Switch software on my laptop and synced my phone but cannot see anything in there around firmware updates and its not finiding any new software to install

pinebob

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for suggesting that workaround, Vinay. I was having the same problem, and this seems to have resolved the situation for the time being.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech