I get a"Media device Disconnected" message, then my phone dies

ColinW85

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Hello! I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I have had it for about 7 months and it has worked well until about 6 months ago. I charge my phone up to 100 percent every morning. I wake up and take it out of the charger amd check social media, listen to music, etc. When my phone gets to about 60-80 percent, my phone gives me a message that says "Media Device Disconnected". It gives it repeatedly until eventually my phone restarts and when it turns back on its at 1-10 percent. Why is this happening? I have used multiple different chargers, my phones in great condition, and everything works great except for this issue. Advice would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, one of the apps you installed is causing it. The problem is finding out which one. My best way of finding out (you may prefer another one) is to use App Backup & Restore to convert all the installed apps to .apk files, then uninstall them.

Then install them one at a time (using App Backup & Restore) until it happens again. The one you just installed is the one causing it. Uninstall that one and finish installing the rest.

ColinW85

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
It actually does happen in safe mode, my apologies. I did a factory reset and it still happens. I don't think it's a battery issue because it dies at different percentages, from usually 45-90 percent and I still don't know why it says "media device disconnected". I don't know what's giving me that message. Thanks for the reply.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the microUSB port and possibly also the charging circuits that are connected to it. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have to bring it to a repair shop. I supposed you could also try a factory reset, or perhaps reinstalling the firmware using Odin, in case it's a problem with the system: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
is there anything else I can do before taking it to a repair shop? I have tried a factory reset and it hasn't worked.
Welcome to the forums. If it is a hardware issue, which Safe Mode kind of points to, there really isn't anything that can be done. I would ask around to see if people give free estimates and evaluations.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use Yelp or a similar app/website to search your area for cellphone repair shops, then call some of them and explain your situation.

Andrew Alcorn

Aug 3, 2018
Visit site
Hello! I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I have had it for about 7 months and it has worked well until about 6 months ago. I charge my phone up to 100 percent every morning. I wake up and take it out of the charger amd check social media, listen to music, etc. When my phone gets to about 60-80 percent, my phone gives me a message that says "Media Device Disconnected". It gives it repeatedly until eventually my phone restarts and when it turns back on its at 1-10 percent. Why is this happening? I have used multiple different chargers, my phones in great condition, and everything works great except for this issue. Advice would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!

I'm having the same issue. If you find out what's causing it please let me know what's wrong.

DWood1209

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site

Having exactly the same issue! Nothing changed with my hardware or software when this bug started happening. I didn't install a new application, and I didn't do anything like dropping my phone or something that could've caused a hardware failure... I tried Safe Mode when my phone literally DIED when I plugged into the charger at 41% battery... Entered Safe Mode and I noticed my battery life wasn't draining as fast; but the cellular network continues to display the grey message bar at the bottom center of the screen saying "Media Device Disconnected". Switching to WiFi makes the bug stop, but when I'm not in a WiFi zone I'd expect my cellular data plan to actually work.

It's strange to me that this bug isn't more common. I am not convinced it's a hardware issue. I'm a A+ certified tech; I've been trained in diagnosing and troubleshooting bugs like these, I did just about every step there is to take, just short of wiping the entire SD card and starting fresh.

One of the steps I took to try to see what the issue is was that I went into the Developer Options and found a setting that displays the phone's processor usage per core (I assume they are processor cores or threads) and I saw that when the Media Device Disconnected message comes up and the phone disconnects from LTE, the first processor core is reading a value between 11-17, the second core reading at 3-7, third core reading at 3-7.

In other words, the first core is getting a lot of usage from some undetermined software and it's causing the hardware to bug out. When the bug isn't happening, all 3 cores tend to show similar values ranging from 3-7.

If anyone knows how to fix the Media Device Disconnected glitch please enlighten us!

EpicTorchiz 14

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site

Same problem here I don't know what it is. I thought perhaps it's the charger since I use a fast charger from Verizon since my old one broke or I thought its perhaps the apps. Used Apk once for GTA San Andreas but, deleted it a long time time ago and I used the Du screen recorder app and I use it a lot I shake my phone and it causes a vibration to stop the screen recording it also does it when I'm not recording.

nolip40

Aug 27, 2018
Visit site
Originally Posted by ColinW85
Hello! I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I have had it for about 7 months and it has worked well until about 6 months ago. I charge my phone up to 100 percent every morning. I wake up and take it out of the charger amd check social media, listen to music, etc. When my phone gets to about 60-80 percent, my phone gives me a message that says "Media Device Disconnected". It gives it repeatedly until eventually my phone restarts and when it turns back on its at 1-10 percent. Why is this happening? I have used multiple different chargers, my phones in great condition, and everything works great except for this issue. Advice would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!"

The exact same thing is happening to me. This media device connection issue is essentially disabling my phone... suddenly draining the battery and causing a reboot.

I connected it into my bluetooth once and it made a crazy loud noise through my car stereo, then drained completely and shut down... tried to reboot itself, and couldn't because whatever happened drained the battery.

I thought it was because I had too many photos and content on my phone that the os didn't have enough juice to operate. I removed almost all of my photos freeing up 20 GB of space on my phone (I have 64GB) and now only 32GB used leaving 32 for the os).... and still this morning, my phone had 74% battery, I went to look at a text message, got this pop up ("Media Device Disconnected"), and the phone locked up with this pop up remaining on the screen. Had to force reboot, then restarted, and battery was at 4%. I then plugged in the charger, and less than 15 mins later, I was up to 75%.

Incidentally, I always get the message that my charger isnt' the correct original charger... when it is... says it isn't going to fast charge but then, post that it is fast charging... this has always been the case with this phone. Samsung 6 by the way...

This phone has worked wonderfully since I got it until this last month or so when this issue has surfaced.

leslycarl

Sep 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, so frustrating! Started a couple weeks ago. Mine happens on and off WiFi. I've been at 70%, 40%, 20% battery, phone reboots and then I'm at 1%. I had the battery replaced about 8 months ago and thought maybe that was the problem. Has there been an update that could be causing this? I tried the cache partition wipe to no avail. I have an external battery case that I turn on when it happens and I'm waiting to see if it happens with the case turned on. I've only tried it once and it didn't happen.

Also the battery is steadily draining when I'm not using the phone. Every 5 minutes or so when I wake the phone it will be down another 1% or 2. When you go to the battery setting it says I have 18 hrs left but if you click on battery usage it shows I only have about 5 hrs at the rate it's really draining. But does not show any apps etc using battery. ???

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinW85

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Hey everyone. I had gotten my battery replaced, and it fixed it for about a month and now its happening again(80 dollars down the drain btw). Im at least glad to come back to this post and see that more people have this problem because the whole reason i made this post is because no one else was having the problem. someone please help us!

CassandraRenee

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
Hey everyone. I had gotten my battery replaced, and it fixed it for about a month and now its happening again(80 dollars down the drain btw). Im at least glad to come back to this post and see that more people have this problem because the whole reason i made this post is because no one else was having the problem. someone please help us!

My phone was having this same problem, and I was able to FIX IT MYSELF without paying a shop. What I first did, was reset the cache partition. Once doing that I realized I was still getting the error. I, then, forced my phone into ''safe mode''. I wrote down all the apps that were ''grayed out'' (apps that I have downloaded myself) on a notepad and rebooted. I uninstalled all the grayed out apps, and reinstalled them. I also downloaded "Norton Clean" and "Files Go" I have not had my battery die, or got the error since. Also, I messed with my "developer options" and changed the "window animation, transition animation, and aminator duration scale" to "0.5x''

Save yourself some money and try these steps. I tried taking it to a shop, and they had no idea what the error was from. IT IS FIXABLE YOURSELF! :)

jova5555

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
My phone was having this same problem, and I was able to FIX IT MYSELF without paying a shop. What I first did, was reset the cache partition. Once doing that I realized I was still getting the error. I, then, forced my phone into ''safe mode''. I wrote down all the apps that were ''grayed out'' (apps that I have downloaded myself) on a notepad and rebooted. I uninstalled all the grayed out apps, and reinstalled them. I also downloaded "Norton Clean" and "Files Go" I have not had my battery die, or got the error since. Also, I messed with my "developer options" and changed the "window animation, transition animation, and aminator duration scale" to "0.5x''

Save yourself some money and try these steps. I tried taking it to a shop, and they had no idea what the error was from. IT IS FIXABLE YOURSELF! :)

Unfortunately I followed these steps and I'm still having issues. Do you have any additional thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2