Inside of my charging port on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, The little plate in the charging port broke off. Is this fixable? I'd want to fix it myself- where would I get these parts?
    12-28-2018 09:45 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You mean the central pin? That's the most important part of the port, where all the contacts are. You'd have to replace the whole port -- I'm not sure how easy that is, since port replacement can be really challenging on some phones. Search for DIY videos or articles on the web to see how challenging it might be.
    12-29-2018 10:11 AM
    If it's a separately-mounted connector it's a bot difficult, you have some tiny pins to solder in a tiny space. If it's a board or assembly, it's relatively easier - remove the old assembly, replace it with the new one.

The trick is getting to it. At least the screen has to come off - with a heat gun - and if you're not experienced in doing that (removed and replaced at least 6 screens) don't even think of doing it yourself. Even if you don't heat-damage the screen, or remove it before it's hot enough and break it, you'll still have to buy a new glue pad to replace it. It get complicated, it takes experience (most technicians ruin their first half-dozen phones, which is why a shop that trains its techs always keeps a few old hones on hand) and it takes "touch knowledge" of when the sreen is just hot enough to remove it.

It's really not worth risking the phone to save $90. (The guys you see in the videos who are "doing their first one" have been doing it for a long time - if you know what to look for you see all the signs.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-29-2018 01:59 PM
    Yes, the charging port is replaceable, but at this point I'd suggest upgrading to at least the S7, or even the S8 if you can afford it. The screen doesn't have to come off, but the rear glass does. The other issue is whether or not you have the tools to do the repair.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/47481
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-29-2018 08:59 PM
    I'll be honest....I'm not sure if I would tackle this kind of project if this was my daily driver. I'm inclined to agree with 11B1P, and if you have an upgrade with your carrier, use it.
    12-29-2018 09:05 PM