Trying to find root - no dice

jickey

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I want to root my SGS6 but everything I've found says that I can't with my phone. My version doesn't seem to be supported with current methods - I'm running Verizon with a baseband of G920VVRU3BOG5.

I've looked here and on XDA - unless there's somewhere I'm missing, it's just not available. Can someone confirm or deny?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not yet.

Rooting requires that the phone already be rooted - which is kind of a problem. People who come up with ways to root a particular ROM on a particular phone find a bug or "back door" that gives them temporary root, so they can permanently root the ROM (it's the kernel that gets rooted, not the phone itself). Sometimes it's easy, because there's a big hole that shows itself after a few days of banging on the phone, sometimes it takes months before someone finds some way to do it. (With the Note 3 on KitKat, there was a HUGE fund for whoever found a rooting method - generated by $5 and $10 contributions. IIRC, it took about 6 months, and it was a very sneaky [but solid] way of doing it)

Since the S6 is a popular phone, not an"Chinese orphan", there are probably quite a few people working on root for various carriers already. The first place you'll hear about it will probably be the S6 forum for your carrier on XDA. We read it there and announce it here, but it can be days before someone who doesn't have that model is looking in that forum to get help for someone and notices that root has finally been achieved. Check the forum there every night before you go to sleep and you'll know before we do.