I originally wanted the Note Edge because it looked pretty cool and I liked the idea of the Edge screen. I ultimately didn't get it because I wasn't sure if I wanted the gear vr or not so I went with the Note 4. But since Samsung took forever to get the vr to market I stopped caring.

The invite Samsung put out has me excited because I loved my s5, and wanted the Note Edge over the note 4 so I'm hoping it will be the best of both. Are you interested in S6 edge or SEdge?
    02-10-2015 12:08 AM
    I'll definitely check it out. The only thing I wonder about is if it'll take much longer for it to be updated to newer Android versions. If the only difference between the two phones is one has edges and the other doesn't though, I'll probably just go for the Edge.
    02-10-2015 10:15 AM
    I'll definitely check it out. The only thing I wonder about is if it'll take much longer for it to be updated to newer Android versions. If the only difference between the two phones is one has edges and the other doesn't though, I'll probably just go for the Edge.
    When I buy non-Nexus android phones, I don't even expect updates. If I buy a non-Nexus phone and it does get updated, it's a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't go in expecting something. I know what you mean though.
    02-10-2015 02:49 PM
    I couldn't be less interested in the Edge, seems like a huge gimmick, looks gorky, and smacks of desperation from Samsung. Looking at all the new phones coming out with the exception of Samsung...just done with the brand for now.
    02-11-2015 07:52 AM
    I played with a Note Edge a couple of days ago and it really surpassed my expectations. I liked how moving some things to the side panel freed up the main display including shortcuts to most used apps, camera controls, music playback controls, and seeing notifications. I can see how that one side panel can come in handy. I also loved how it was able to determine when I was selecting something on the display and simply holding the phone. I could hold the phone in my left hand, as usual, have my fingertips touching the side panel, and it wouldn't do anything until I deliberately selected something. Samsung did a great job with accidental touch detection.

However, I noticed something with daily operation: it stuttered when swiping between home screens and had all of the performance faults when using the TouchWiz launcher. I installed the Google Now launcher and the side panel didn't function when at the home screen (it did when I opened up certain Samsung apps). So the Note Edge (and presumably the S Edge) have to use the TouchWiz launcher (unless something happened with my installation of the Google Now launcher). No thank you, I would rather not have an edge (or two edge) display if it meant staying away from the laggy TouchWiz launcher. I'm sorry but a flagship phone with 3GB of RAM should not stutter like that.
    02-11-2015 08:04 AM
    When I buy non-Nexus android phones, I don't even expect updates. If I buy a non-Nexus phone and it does get updated, it's a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't go in expecting something. I know what you mean though.
    Yeah, I go in to Samsung flagship phones expecting at least one update. Of course, I guess it's not that big of a deal since I usually upgrade every year.

That bit of info about needing to use the Touchwiz launcher to see some of the benefits of the Sedge though may make me rethink. I use Nova for the customization so maybe I wouldn't get that much benefit out of it anyway. What would be awesome is if more apps enabled features that could use the edge screens since Samsung has an SDK out there.
    02-11-2015 08:12 AM
    Yeah, I go in to Samsung flagship phones expecting at least one update. Of course, I guess it's not that big of a deal since I usually upgrade every year.

That bit of info about needing to use the Touchwiz launcher to see some of the benefits of the Sedge though may make me rethink. I use Nova for the customization so maybe I wouldn't get that much benefit out of it anyway. What would be awesome is if more apps enabled features that could use the edge screens since Samsung has an SDK out there.
    Agree with this. Might go to att and install nova on their phone and see for myself.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-11-2015 08:55 AM