for someone who ALWAYS uses Otterbox Defender case, does it matter what the S6 looks like?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have ALWAYS used Otterbox Denfender cases on ALL of my smartphones.(at least my last five phones, including S3, S4, Note II, Note 3, S5)

With all the talk about how the new S5 will look like.... does it really matter for someone like me? The only thing that I will see with my eyes is the screen.(unless the resolution gets another bump from Samsung)

Come to think of it, does it even matter what any phone looks like if I always put a Defender case on it? :)

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have ALWAYS used Otterbox Denfender cases on ALL of my smartphones.(at least my last five phones, including S3, S4, Note II, Note 3, S5)

With all the talk about how the new S5 will look like.... does it really matter for someone like me? The only thing that I will see with my eyes is the screen.(unless the resolution gets another bump from Samsung)

Come to think of it, does it even matter what any phone looks like if I always put a Defender case on it? :)

You will notice a difference if you get the dual-edge version of the S6. Wonder how case makers will deal with that so you have access to the edges?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Opinion: Rarely do people need all the protection of a Defender (or similar case). Yes, some do (for example, if you work construction, as a mechanic, or other job where your phone will take a beating) but most don't. Most could get by quite easily with a slim TPU style case from eBay for a few bucks and a screen protector (either glass or plastic)

That being said, no - how a phone looks makes no difference if you know you're going to throw a Defender on it anyway. At that point physical size becomes more of a concern then looks, because a large naked phone will obviously become that much larger with a bulky Defender case wrapped around it. Looks of the actual phone don't matter nearly as much if it's in a case.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Opinion: Rarely do people need all the protection of a Defender (or similar case). Yes, some do (for example, if you work construction, as a mechanic, or other job where your phone will take a beating) but most don't. Most could get by quite easily with a slim TPU style case from eBay for a few bucks and a screen protector (either glass or plastic)

That being said, no - how a phone looks makes no difference if you know you're going to throw a Defender on it anyway. At that point physical size becomes more of a concern then looks, because a large naked phone will obviously become that much larger with a bulky Defender case wrapped around it. Looks of the actual phone don't matter nearly as much if it's in a case.

I even have a Defender case on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5-inch tablet. :) It triples the thickness of the tablet. <sigh>

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess in your case, it doesn't matter. While I like protection, I don't like the added bulk.

Posted via S5, G3 or Turbo.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Seidio dilex is great and not bulky

It's what I use as I need protection but not the added bulk.
They used to call it the active, and I've used this on all my phones in the past.... With the belt holster.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I e always wondered the same thing we put so much emphasis on what a phone looks like especially the iPhone people all claiming of metal when they all want to just put a big plastic case on it

Posted via the Android Central App

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Your phone will look like an S5 without the benefit of waterproof and replaceable battery and upgradeable storage. Like most people with cases on their S6. Who is going to carry around a 1k value device that has glass on both front and back??!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Take this for what it's worth. I work construction, I'm not in the field every day since I'm out meeting with clients and other administrative stuff but I'm an owner that gets his hands real dirty too. I am NOT nice to my phones. These aren't little treasured devices that many here treat them as, it's a tool, and irritating tool at times and it feels my wrath from time to time.

It gets paint, cement, thinset, sawdust, dirt, sheetrock, et al on it all the time. It gets dropped plenty and thrown once in a while. It's a GS3. I have an Elago breathe slim case case on it, the only case it's ever seen. The phone is three years old. It works fine, chipped up where the case doesn't cover the top or bottom. I can't imaging putting one of those bulky cases on it and after my experience with a minimalist case, I really don't think it needs it. Sometimes I think case manufacturers just cause concern where little is warranted.

Now I'm sure there's cases where a real toughie is needed, but my real world daily experience with the minimalist case will keep my new S6 (or possibly G4) in one.

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 68

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As one who has had a Defender case, here is my perspective. It does matter depending upon who you are. I personally like to near pristine look of my devices every time I clean it and it is very nice to hear how great it looks when it comes time to trade the old boy in for the next big thing.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Every time I drop it I have the confidence that Otterbox has my back. Granted it depends upon the impact but for every day drops it works great and especially when you consider how much it would cost if you didn't have phone insurance or paying the deductible. It is well worth it considering today's economy.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Plastic and faux metal or aluminum and Gorilla Glass. Anything to mitigate internal damage as well as external dings to protect your investment in the device is worth it. Glass breaks or shatters and metal dents. I also like the pristine condition at resale time when it looks like it's out of the box.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device