On the GS6. What's more of a deal breaker for you, no removable battery or no SD card?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Many people complain about not having a removable battery in their next Galaxy.

I would really like to have one, however, if not having one means better battery and better and nicer design, than I'm okay.

The real deal breaker for me would probably be not having an SD card.

What do you think?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Removable battery is a bigger deal for me. I don't use much storage space on my phone, but I do use it a lot, and being able to go from 20 -> 100% in a matter of seconds is awesome. Although if it has great battery, it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
None would be a deal breaker for me, but since I seem to either burn SD cards left and right or Sammy just can't do SD Cards right, I wouldn't miss that from the phone. Removable batteries are nice and all, but in my usage pattern (unless I'm traveling) it's really more convenient to just have the Quick Charger handy. Wireless charging out of the box, however, THAT'S something that I could be interested in :)

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I would really like to have one, however, if not having one means better battery and better and nicer design, than I'm okay.

What do you think?

I'm with you. The SD card is a necessity since these things never have enough onboard memory (unless of course you never download media). I can always plug my phone in during the day but I can't "find" more memory.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No SD Card is bigger complaint for me. I used to be a super "pro removable battery" guy but ever since I got the Xperia Z3, its really not that big of a deal especially if the phone lasts long. I agree battery swapping is pretty useful but if you find yourself swapping too often, then you probably should get a better phone.

I would hate to keep all my pics and stuff on my phone, especially knowing if the phone freezes or hangs, or if there was a need to factory reset, it would delete everything. Having a MicroSD card is much more convenient, and doesnt take space on the phone

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The lack of a microSD card is an absolute deal breaker for me. I will never buy a phone with a fixed storage capacity after having a 64GB iPhone 5 for two years. I was constantly syncing content off and onto it, managing playlists, etc. Not only that but smartphones (regardless of manufacturer) with higher capacities cost more. The upgrade to a phone from 16GB/32GB of storage to one with 64GB of storage is often $100-$200 more. No thanks, I would rather spend $70 on a 128GB microSDXC card and call it a day.

I never really swapped out my S5's battery before but it's coming in handy now mainly because I have an Anker 7500 mAh battery and case on it, that's the only way my S5 has been able to make it though the day without needing to be recharged after the update to Android 5.0.0. Before that though, I never used the swapping feature except when I went on vacation (I put the Anker battery back in, that thing used to last me a good 3-4 days of heavy use before dying out).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't much care about cards or batteries....one thing, and one thing only, is a deal-breaker for all Samsung devices for me, and that's the layout of the screen navigation buttons. As long as Samsung don't make them customisable, so that I can go bottom left for back and bottom right for recent apps, which is what I'm used to, there's no point at all in me buying one....which I'd very much like to. It's frustrating and very annoying. I expect the S6 will have the traditional Samsung layout of buttons, and if so, my interest will have to stop right there.

Posted via the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't much care about cards or batteries....one thing, and one thing only, is a deal-breaker for all Samsung devices for me, and that's the layout of the screen navigation buttons. As long as Samsung don't make them customisable, so that I can go bottom left for back and bottom right for recent apps, which is what I'm used to, there's no point at all in me buying one....which I'd very much like to. It's frustrating and very annoying. I expect the S6 will have the traditional Samsung layout of buttons, and if so, my interest will have to stop right there.

Posted via the Android Central App

The S5 and Note 4 have the backwards back/recents buttons. It will be the same for the S6 😩

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One thing to say about a removable battery: one less thing to worry about if you plan on keeping the device a while.

From an AOSP M8

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The price. $949 off contract? Seriously? That's the price of a gaming laptop.

No thanks.
Pretty sure Verizon s5 which will most likely be factory sim unlocked will be around $650 off contract.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What do you think?
SD CARD for sure. My 128gb microSDXC card is almost full. Optionally I would consider 128gb internal memory, though, it is unlikely that the Verizon s6 would come in 128gb internal.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's like asking which arm I'd rather have broken. Either are a deal breaker for me. $100 or more to have a shop replace a battery? Not being able to swap in a spare if the one in the phone starts getting low and I have to use the phone a few more hours before I can charge it? Not for me.

No SD card? Also not for me.

TWRP (or, better yet, Safestrap - IOW, multi-boot)? That's for me. Maybe a phone that ran native code apps on bare Linux?

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've got it all figured out. We all know that Samsung likes to cover all the bases. In the past they have done this with different screen sizes and specs. I think with the S six they are going to do this by coming out with two models, one with a removable back battery and SD card and the other with an attractive all metal design.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
^ could be, but...

My concern is longevity.... and I would have to stick more closely to the 40% charging rule (unlikely).

I could carry a compact morphie / juice pack (whatever, the rechargeables) instead of a battery. I could live with 64gb, with the option of an otg drive on trips + cloud (not G+) with my current uld plan. I don't need much though atm.

No, the fact is that in well less than a year, I would lose confidence in the battery.

So another $100/£130 for a battery install down the line,
+ 1 or 2 seperate juice packs,
+ a hefty premium on launch.
It doesn't stack up.

It would have to be much cheaper, or phenomenally spectacular.

It looks like a Note 4 for me, before the Note 5 follows this route.

I don't quite believe this S6 yet though.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Definitely the SD card. I switch phones and a SD is a must. Plus I have so much loaded on mine I hate syncing back and forth.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
No removable battery if people are planning to keep their phone longer or enjoy the easy swap process this is a must.

I hope for Samsung's sake they realise how important this feature is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze