03-16-2015 04:21 PM
99 1234
tools
    Comparing with Canadian ones,
    32GB, 64GB and 128GB edge cost $277.261, $364.4, $451.53 respectively. Carriers would likely charge $299, $399, and $499 respectively.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I could see $199, $299, $399 for the three storage flavors on AT&T. Edge pricing may $50-$100 for each flavor. You have to expect some jump in price. Unique screen and larger battery. Oopsss...said the "b" word.
    ahj4513 likes this.
    03-07-2015 03:43 PM
    Here's my perspective on the matter.

The lack of a microSD expansion isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Sure, you can upgrade your storage on the cheap and have a physical backup of your data but that is essentially all the benefits of it.
    Unless you hard brick the phone. No download, no recovery, no adb - recycle the phone. It can cover that hole in the wall if you get a strong picture hook.

With an SD slot, copy a boot image to the SD card, put it into the phone, turn the phone on, you're in download mode, run Odin, flash a ROM and the phone is working - in about half an hour if you're slow. (No? Send me your hard-bricked Samsungs with SD slots. If they're worth anything as working phones, I'll pay shipping. S2s, Note 2s, anything. You'll see them - guaranteed working - on Swappa in a day or two. And I'll even have to buy a few SD cards - I don't have any large spares at the moment.)

Yeah, not very useful. I have a few bridges for sale if anyone's interested.

The internal flash memory is a great deal faster in terms of read and write speeds than even the fastest microSD cards on the market.
    Want to back that up with thruput numbers? Against a SanDisk U3? Didn't think so.

Granted, on-chip memory is faster than off-chip memory (which is why the L2 cache in a CPU makes sense). But if the bus is properly implemented, on-phone and off-phone storage runs at about the same speed. (In fact, if on-phone storage implements a random scatter algorithm, the SD card can be faster than internal storage. Algorithms cost time. Lack of them costs life, but SD cards can be replaced.)

I am fed up with waiting 15-20 minutes to load the contents of my microSD when connecting my S5 to the computer.
    Oh, Phone loads instantly, but Card takes 15-20 minutes? With the same number and sizes of files? With a Samsung or SanDisk U3 card? Get your phone fixed.

This isn't even the last of the issues, applications can't be installed to the SD card
    You ARE aware that Android was never designed to be able to do that, right?

Then, of course, we have the "watch your phone melt" option in the S6, if the battery ever goes into thermal runaway. (No? Ask Sony about thermal runaway in lithium batteries. Then duck - you'll get swung at.) S5? Pop the cover out, pry the battery out with a penny (you don't want to melt your fingertip) and watch your $15 battery die. Your phone is still intact. (Stay upwind of the battery or you'll be coughing for a week.) With an S6, your $1,000 retail (?) phone is a puddle, and a lot of insurance doesn't cover damage from batteries.

Tough decision. Like "lose my leg or don't?" Real tough.
    icwhatudidthere likes this.
    03-07-2015 06:43 PM
    Yes. No MicroSDXC card. Total bummer. What this means is that if you need the storage you are going to pay big time.

Let's look at it with regards to the iPhone (because that is the only phone I know of that has a 128GB model)

I am going to assume that the 32GB is the base model for the S6....

On Contract price

Galaxy S6 32GB -- $200 -- iPhone6 16GB
    Galaxy S6 64GB -- $300 -- iPhone6 64GB
    Galaxy S6 128GB -- $400 -- iPhone6 128GB

Now assume the premium for the iPhone 6 Plus is the same as the premium for the Edge version of the Galaxy....

S6 Edge 32GB -- $300 -- iPhone6+ 16GB
    S6 Edge 64GB -- $400 -- iPhone6+ 64GB
    S6 Edge 128GB -- $500 -- iPhone6+ 128GB

So, instead of dropping $200 for the S6, or even $300 for the S6 Edge at 32GB, and plopping in a $30 64GB card in to give yourself 96GB of storage (or if you already have the card, then all the better), now you'll be dropping another 100 bones (or 200 for the Edge). And the rump kicker is that you pay more for less (64GB of storage vs. 96GB). Yes I know the OS takes up some of that, but that is just ridiculous. Paying more.... for less. I don't like that.

$500 for a top of the line S6 Edge ON FREAKING CONTRACT!!! That is just insane! I love new tech like everyone else here, but that is too rich for my blood.
    You are wrong - it is only going to be $50 per memory bump so $200/$650 for base S6, $250/$700 for 64 GB , and $300/$750 for 128 GB.
    03-07-2015 07:32 PM
    You are wrong - it is only going to be $50 per memory bump so $200/$650 for base S6, $250/$700 for 64 GB , and $300/$750 for 128 GB.
    In that case I'll take a 128 GB regular, with a large fry and a diet Coke.
    03-07-2015 08:00 PM
    If this is your GS6 pricing, Edge is going to run $50 more at each storage increment.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-07-2015 08:05 PM
    I tolerate Touch Wiz because of the s pen and removable card and battery.
    I lived just fine without an s pen for years. I'll do the same again if Samsung does the same thing to the next Note. If I wanted an iPhone clone I'd tolerate ios and get the real thing instead of TW.
    03-07-2015 08:35 PM
    I lived just fine without an s pen for years. I'll do the same again if Samsung does the same thing to the next Note. If I wanted an iPhone clone I'd tolerate ios and get the real thing instead of TW.
    Not sure what this has to do with the pricing of Galaxy S6...

sqa4life likes this.
    03-07-2015 08:49 PM

I am not sure as well. To each his or her own.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-07-2015 09:06 PM
    If true, and no SD card, what is the point of buying this phone? Does Samsung think there going to lure Apple people to the S6? No if they (like me) we going to move to Android, they would of left these features in that made them different. Apple people want simple working things, I think Android people want the same, but more control. This phone is no better then the already released Iphone 6 product. Seriously pee'ed off that they got rid of SD card.
    No, those crowd will simply choose 32 GB version which is bigger than the iPhone 6's bottom line storage capacity. There aren't many people buying 128 GB iPhones.

But seriously, the iPhone 6 has nothing, I mean NOTHING, on the S6/Edge from hardware standpoint. I would pity poor souls who buy iPhone 6 when the S6/Edge are out.
    03-08-2015 04:15 AM
    Check out screenshots of lollipop and S6/Edge's screenshots. I cannot believe that I am saying this but Touchwiz looks better than "stock" Android on Nexus.
    03-08-2015 04:17 AM
    how do you know? Somebody posted Canadian pricing which already showed price stair case is $110 CAN dollar per memory bump.
    03-08-2015 04:39 AM

Apologies
    Looking back I don't remember either other than gouging for increases in extra memory onboard and Samsung assuming folks will not consider other manufacturers models. I'm not a fan of TW but tolerate it for the s pen and removable memory. My Note4 was a little more than I wanted to spend but I did so for the features. If Samsung is going to charge that high end price with a ui I don't like and remove why I stuck with them I won't buy another from them.
    03-09-2015 06:20 AM
    Apologies
    Looking back I don't remember either other than gouging for increases in extra memory onboard and Samsung assuming folks will not consider other manufacturers models. I'm not a fan of TW but tolerate it for the s pen and removable memory. My Note4 was a little more than I wanted to spend but I did so for the features. If Samsung is going to charge that high end price with a ui I don't like and remove why I stuck with them I won't buy another from them.
    That's unfortunate. I was very, mildly disappointed in a couple of traditional key features were being excluded. However, keeping an open mind and embracing the future,I realized that there are a lot of improvements and new features that may make them a distant memory. TouchWiz while still a little heavy looks slimmed down. There are numerous videos and posts that you should watch and read that May change your mind. I really like what I have seen and read so far and pleased that Samsung has also embraced a fresh perspective and appears to realize the complacency that caused issues for them over the past two years.
    03-09-2015 06:36 AM
    Remember when we had 500mb hard-drives in our Windows computers and thought how would we ever need that much space.
    ahj4513 and mountainbikermark like this.
    03-09-2015 06:46 AM
    That's unfortunate. I was very, mildly disappointed in a couple of traditional key features were being excluded. However, keeping an open mind and embracing the future,I realized that there are a lot of improvements and new features that may make them a distant memory. TouchWiz while still a little heavy looks slimmed down. There are numerous videos and posts that you should watch and read that May change your mind. I really like what I have seen and read so far and pleased that Samsung has also embraced a fresh perspective and appears to realize the complacency that caused issues for them over the past two years.
    It's still too walled garden for me. Android overall is getting more walled garden ios like to me in general.
    Samsung can tone it down, I agree it's less intrusive than my Note2 by a lot but the bloat and need to use it is getting ios like. I don't want to go too far off topic but an example of having to choose 1 message app is an example of what I mean. I like some features of the stock Samsung app but it's pop up stinks, whereas Handcent pop up I like. I also like that I can do individual text tones for contacts with Handcent but stock doesn't give me that. The rumored price of the S6 plus add in they are taking things away, both from Samsung hardware and Android software (lollipop has bright white themes, not battery friendly on amoled is another example) , just doesn't inspire a desire to upgrade at all. Now if Samsung were to give options in TW to restore a black theme that'd be a plus because we'll need all the help we can get to save battery on the S6 since it's smaller and non removable.
    03-09-2015 08:13 AM
    The S Pen would be nothing without TouchWiz.
    03-09-2015 01:56 PM
    I respectfully disagree. I use the s pen much more in non Samsung bloat applications than their s pen apps. It's a fine point stylus pen for me more than app user. I use it often for editing photos via Picsay or like a pda pen. With the s pen you can edit photos down to the pixel when zooming .
    B.o.t. , if the rumors turn out to be false and the price is lower than the Note4 would that change anyone's mind on purchasing it?
    03-09-2015 02:31 PM
    The S Pen would be nothing without TouchWiz.
    Is this derived from technical aspect?
    03-09-2015 02:38 PM
    Is this derived from technical aspect?
    Without TouchWiz, the S Pen would be no better than using your finger.
    03-09-2015 02:45 PM
    Remember when we had 500mb hard-drives in our Windows computers and thought how would we ever need that much space.
    500? First hard drive ever was a 10 megabyte hard drive on an mfm controller for an xt pc. My next hard drive was the 80 megabyte that came with my 386 sx. Thought I would never fill either of those 2 early drives but was just as wrong as Bill Gates saying that we would never need more than 640 k of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    03-09-2015 02:47 PM
    Without TouchWiz, the S Pen would be no better than using your finger.
    now you have made this extremely vague statement twice already, in a slightly different shape. But what really are you referring to?

Are you saying s-pen would not be as smooth, as unable to utilize some pressure sensitive screen?

Or are you saying it would not have the functions it current have, like screen grab, screen write, etc?

And fundamentally, are you saying these based on some technical understanding of this, or something else?
    03-09-2015 02:54 PM
    500? First hard drive ever was a 10 megabyte hard drive on an mfm controller for an xt pc. My next hard drive was the 80 megabyte that came with my 386 sx. Thought I would never fill either of those 2 early drives but was just as wrong as Bill Gates saying that we would never need more than 640 k of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    The '640K' quote won't go away -- but did Gates really say it? | Computerworld
    03-09-2015 03:04 PM
    now you have made this extremely vague statement twice already, in a slightly different shape. But what really are you referring to?

Are you saying s-pen would not be as smooth, as unable to utilize some pressure sensitive screen?

Or are you saying it would not have the functions it current have, like screen grab, screen write, etc?

And fundamentally, are you saying these based on some technical understanding of this, or something else?
    ...ok.

Without TouchWiz, the Smart Select panel for air commands would not exist. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

Without TouchWiz, you wouldn't be able to natively draw on the screen to clip and send that shot somewhere. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

..actually, I could go on and on about S Pen specific features, like S Note and Pen Window but I'll stop here.
    03-09-2015 03:10 PM
    ...ok.

Without TouchWiz, the Smart Select panel for air commands would not exist. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

Without TouchWiz, you wouldn't be able to natively draw on the screen to clip and send that shot somewhere. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

..actually, I could go on and on about S Pen specific features, like S Note and Pen Window but I'll stop here.
    now thats silly, there are many things that are not AOSP android on samsung phones, you cannot simply just say they somehow all need TW to function. Are you so sure that s-pen doesn't have its own function package that is independent from TW?

Just pull out your samsung device and take a look, there are numerous apps, services, and other functions. If you have detailed understanding of how they are related to TW, I am all ears. But so far, you are making a very stretched statement based on very vague correlations.
    03-09-2015 03:16 PM
    now thats silly, there are many things that are not AOSP android on samsung phones, you cannot simply just say they somehow all need TW to function. Are you so sure that s-pen doesn't have its own function package that is independent from TW?

Just pull out your samsung device and take a look, there are numerous apps, services, and other functions. If you have detailed understanding of how they are related to TW, I am all ears. But so far, you are making a very stretched statement based on very vague correlations.
    The S Pen features are part of TouchWiz on the Note line. You can't have the S Pen specific features without TouchWiz. Not sure why that's hard to understand.
    03-09-2015 03:17 PM
99 1234