Samsung Galaxy S6 Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

You are wrong - it is only going to be $50 per memory bump so $200/$650 for base S6, $250/$700 for 64 GB , and $300/$750 for 128 GB.

how do you know? Somebody posted Canadian pricing which already showed price stair case is $110 CAN dollar per memory bump.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Not sure what this has to do with the pricing of Galaxy S6...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Apologies
Looking back I don't remember either other than gouging for increases in extra memory onboard and Samsung assuming folks will not consider other manufacturers models. I'm not a fan of TW but tolerate it for the s pen and removable memory. My Note4 was a little more than I wanted to spend but I did so for the features. If Samsung is going to charge that high end price with a ui I don't like and remove why I stuck with them I won't buy another from them.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Apologies
Looking back I don't remember either other than gouging for increases in extra memory onboard and Samsung assuming folks will not consider other manufacturers models. I'm not a fan of TW but tolerate it for the s pen and removable memory. My Note4 was a little more than I wanted to spend but I did so for the features. If Samsung is going to charge that high end price with a ui I don't like and remove why I stuck with them I won't buy another from them.

That's unfortunate. I was very, mildly disappointed in a couple of traditional key features were being excluded. However, keeping an open mind and embracing the future,I realized that there are a lot of improvements and new features that may make them a distant memory. TouchWiz while still a little heavy looks slimmed down. There are numerous videos and posts that you should watch and read that May change your mind. I really like what I have seen and read so far and pleased that Samsung has also embraced a fresh perspective and appears to realize the complacency that caused issues for them over the past two years.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

Remember when we had 500mb hard-drives in our Windows computers and thought how would we ever need that much space.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

That's unfortunate. I was very, mildly disappointed in a couple of traditional key features were being excluded. However, keeping an open mind and embracing the future,I realized that there are a lot of improvements and new features that may make them a distant memory. TouchWiz while still a little heavy looks slimmed down. There are numerous videos and posts that you should watch and read that May change your mind. I really like what I have seen and read so far and pleased that Samsung has also embraced a fresh perspective and appears to realize the complacency that caused issues for them over the past two years.
It's still too walled garden for me. Android overall is getting more walled garden ios like to me in general.
Samsung can tone it down, I agree it's less intrusive than my Note2 by a lot but the bloat and need to use it is getting ios like. I don't want to go too far off topic but an example of having to choose 1 message app is an example of what I mean. I like some features of the stock Samsung app but it's pop up stinks, whereas Handcent pop up I like. I also like that I can do individual text tones for contacts with Handcent but stock doesn't give me that. The rumored price of the S6 plus add in they are taking things away, both from Samsung hardware and Android software (lollipop has bright white themes, not battery friendly on amoled is another example) , just doesn't inspire a desire to upgrade at all. Now if Samsung were to give options in TW to restore a black theme that'd be a plus because we'll need all the help we can get to save battery on the S6 since it's smaller and non removable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I tolerate Touch Wiz because of the s pen and removable card and battery.
I lived just fine without an s pen for years. I'll do the same again if Samsung does the same thing to the next Note. If I wanted an iPhone clone I'd tolerate ios and get the real thing instead of TW.

The S Pen would be nothing without TouchWiz.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

I respectfully disagree. I use the s pen much more in non Samsung bloat applications than their s pen apps. It's a fine point stylus pen for me more than app user. I use it often for editing photos via Picsay or like a pda pen. With the s pen you can edit photos down to the pixel when zooming .
B.o.t. , if the rumors turn out to be false and the price is lower than the Note4 would that change anyone's mind on purchasing it?

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Remember when we had 500mb hard-drives in our Windows computers and thought how would we ever need that much space.

500? First hard drive ever was a 10 megabyte hard drive on an mfm controller for an xt pc. My next hard drive was the 80 megabyte that came with my 386 sx. Thought I would never fill either of those 2 early drives but was just as wrong as Bill Gates saying that we would never need more than 640 k of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Without TouchWiz, the S Pen would be no better than using your finger.

now you have made this extremely vague statement twice already, in a slightly different shape. But what really are you referring to?

Are you saying s-pen would not be as smooth, as unable to utilize some pressure sensitive screen?

Or are you saying it would not have the functions it current have, like screen grab, screen write, etc?

And fundamentally, are you saying these based on some technical understanding of this, or something else?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

500? First hard drive ever was a 10 megabyte hard drive on an mfm controller for an xt pc. My next hard drive was the 80 megabyte that came with my 386 sx. Thought I would never fill either of those 2 early drives but was just as wrong as Bill Gates saying that we would never need more than 640 k of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The '640K' quote won't go away -- but did Gates really say it? | Computerworld

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

now you have made this extremely vague statement twice already, in a slightly different shape. But what really are you referring to?

Are you saying s-pen would not be as smooth, as unable to utilize some pressure sensitive screen?

Or are you saying it would not have the functions it current have, like screen grab, screen write, etc?

And fundamentally, are you saying these based on some technical understanding of this, or something else?

...ok.

Without TouchWiz, the Smart Select panel for air commands would not exist. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

Without TouchWiz, you wouldn't be able to natively draw on the screen to clip and send that shot somewhere. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

..actually, I could go on and on about S Pen specific features, like S Note and Pen Window but I'll stop here.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

...ok.

Without TouchWiz, the Smart Select panel for air commands would not exist. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

Without TouchWiz, you wouldn't be able to natively draw on the screen to clip and send that shot somewhere. That's not a part of AOSP Android.

..actually, I could go on and on about S Pen specific features, like S Note and Pen Window but I'll stop here.

now thats silly, there are many things that are not AOSP android on samsung phones, you cannot simply just say they somehow all need TW to function. Are you so sure that s-pen doesn't have its own function package that is independent from TW?

Just pull out your samsung device and take a look, there are numerous apps, services, and other functions. If you have detailed understanding of how they are related to TW, I am all ears. But so far, you are making a very stretched statement based on very vague correlations.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

now thats silly, there are many things that are not AOSP android on samsung phones, you cannot simply just say they somehow all need TW to function. Are you so sure that s-pen doesn't have its own function package that is independent from TW?

Just pull out your samsung device and take a look, there are numerous apps, services, and other functions. If you have detailed understanding of how they are related to TW, I am all ears. But so far, you are making a very stretched statement based on very vague correlations.

The S Pen features are part of TouchWiz on the Note line. You can't have the S Pen specific features without TouchWiz. Not sure why that's hard to understand.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

The S Pen features are part of TouchWiz on the Note line. You can't have the S Pen specific features without TouchWiz. Not sure why that's hard to understand.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding here. The question is, do you know if S-pen functions can work without the presence of TW.

Even though s-pen comes with Note, it doesn't mean TW is required for s-pen to function. TW, after all is only a launcher, there are numerous people still uses s-pen with a different launcher on Note 4, you can check the note 4 board here at AC to see this.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Maybe there is some misunderstanding here. The question is, do you know if S-pen functions can work without the presence of TW.

Even though s-pen comes with Note, it doesn't mean TW is required for s-pen to function. TW, after all is only a launcher, there are numerous people still uses s-pen with a different launcher on Note 4, you can check the note 4 board here at AC to see this.

TouchWiz is definitely not just a launcher.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My understanding is that certain stock widgets won't work on the note 4 if you change launcher.

With regards to the s pen, my understanding is that you have to have a tw based rom, otherwise the s pen might not function fully.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

In regards to the S-Pen, I'm not sure if the Note phone line is different, but I have a Note 8.0 WiFi edition. I flashed CM on it and the spen still worked as a device for input. However, I lost some of the functionality that worked with it. For example, apps worked ok with it such as Papyrus, but using the pen to draw carry out a task like copy and paste an image, no longer worked. I'm trying to explain how you can use the spen to draw a circle around something on the screen to copy it and then you can paste that image somewhere else. I hope that makes senses as for some reason I'm having difficulty explaining it.

In short, apps still worked with the spen, but I lost some of the little tweaks that appear to be baked into Samsung's ROM.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX