Samsung Galaxy S6 Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. No MicroSDXC card. Total bummer. What this means is that if you need the storage you are going to pay big time.

Let's look at it with regards to the iPhone (because that is the only phone I know of that has a 128GB model)

I am going to assume that the 32GB is the base model for the S6....

On Contract price

Galaxy S6 32GB -- $200 -- iPhone6 16GB
Galaxy S6 64GB -- $300 -- iPhone6 64GB
Galaxy S6 128GB -- $400 -- iPhone6 128GB

Now assume the premium for the iPhone 6 Plus is the same as the premium for the Edge version of the Galaxy....

S6 Edge 32GB -- $300 -- iPhone6+ 16GB
S6 Edge 64GB -- $400 -- iPhone6+ 64GB
S6 Edge 128GB -- $500 -- iPhone6+ 128GB

So, instead of dropping $200 for the S6, or even $300 for the S6 Edge at 32GB, and plopping in a $30 64GB card in to give yourself 96GB of storage (or if you already have the card, then all the better), now you'll be dropping another 100 bones (or 200 for the Edge). And the rump kicker is that you pay more for less (64GB of storage vs. 96GB). Yes I know the OS takes up some of that, but that is just ridiculous. Paying more.... for less. I don't like that.

$500 for a top of the line S6 Edge ON FREAKING CONTRACT!!! That is just insane! I love new tech like everyone else here, but that is too rich for my blood.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

If true, and no SD card, what is the point of buying this phone? Does Samsung think there going to lure Apple people to the S6? No if they (like me) we going to move to Android, they would of left these features in that made them different. Apple people want simple working things, I think Android people want the same, but more control. This phone is no better then the already released Iphone 6 product. Seriously pee'ed off that they got rid of SD card.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

This is why I wish they had not removed the SD Card, now people are forced to pay more for higher storage. Plus the storage wont be a true 32/64/128GB because of Touchwiz which will probably take 2-3GB already

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Plus for folks who still have a UDP, the manufacturers and carriers are socking it to the customers, many of whom have been with 'em for years.

I highly doubt if I'll be spending $800-$1000 for a newly released phone, especially w/o added SD card and removable battery just to keep my plan with no contract.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not really all that afraid of this...the best device I ever owned was an LG G2...no removable battery, no SDXC slot. Unfortunately it also did not have the ecosystems of accessories that come with owning a Galaxy S.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

Samsung is creating market opportunity for HTC M9 by removing the microSD slot.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Here's my perspective on the matter.

The lack of a microSD expansion isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Sure, you can upgrade your storage on the cheap and have a physical backup of your data but that is essentially all the benefits of it.

Google has notoriously attempted to kill off microSD support in android over the past couple years and they are doing it with good reason.

The internal flash memory is a great deal faster in terms of read and write speeds than even the fastest microSD cards on the market. I am fed up with waiting 15-20 minutes to load the contents of my microSD when connecting my S5 to the computer. I am sick of the contents randomly rearranging themselves as time goes on, this is extremely evident if you take a lot of vacation photos.

This isn't even the last of the issues, applications can't be installed to the SD card unless you have rooted your phone nor is USB 3.0 supported for transfer from the SD Card on the S5.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits of expandable storage on other devices but on Android smartphones it just doesn't work as well as the internal storage and simply adds unnecessary issues.

The greater issue is the pricing scheme for jumps in internal storage. Nobody else to blame but Apple for this highway robbery although there is rumours Samsung will be offering extremely affordable storage upgrades on the S6.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

There simple is no excuse for getting rid of two USP features on Samsung's side. If people want a sealed non control super thin phone that just works they aren't going for Android they already have their phones called IPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Also Google can think whatever they want but the two main reasons I've never even looked at the Nexus line are the non removable battery and sd support.

It's not just about the internal space it's also about convenience. I have a large sd card and use it for my phones tablet it saves a lot of time because I don't have to connect each device to the desktop and then copy the files..I'll just put in the sd card and I'm ready to go.

External flash drives are as useless as powerpacks bad idea Samsung bag idea if true..this will send millions of customers to the g4 and m9 maybe LG is the new Samsung now.

All Samsung needed to do was take the Note design and improve and improve all the specs on the s5...they would have had a huge winner on their hand s now Samsung might have a phone for a different audience on a different operating system 😃

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

There simple is no excuse for getting rid of two USP features on Samsung's side. If people want a sealed non control super thin phone that just works they aren't going for Android they already have their phones called IPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Also Google can think whatever they want but the two main reasons I've never even looked at the Nexus line are the non removable battery and sd support.

It's not just about the internal space it's also about convenience. I have a large sd card and use it for my phones tablet it saves a lot of time because I don't have to connect each device to the desktop and then copy the files..I'll just put in the sd card and I'm ready to go.

External flash drives are as useless as powerpacks bad idea Samsung bag idea if true..this will send millions of customers to the g4 and m9 maybe LG is the new Samsung now.

All Samsung needed to do was take the Note design and improve and improve all the specs on the s5...they would have had a huge winner on their hand s now Samsung might have a phone for a different audience on a different operating system ??????

This is why I love Samsung phones. Removable batteries and SD cards. Design shouldn't compromise function. It's a freaking phone, why does it need to be metal? I've complained about Samsung's plastics in the past, yes, but that was based on how cheap and terrible their plastic used to be. Example, the plastic on the S5 was great. It wasn't that shiny, slimy, nasty plastic that Samsung used to use. The S5 never felt gross or slimy when I picked it up and I loved it. I know some people hated the dimple back, but it was nice to hold. The Note 4 also has really nice plastic. It has a nice grippy texture and doesn't get gross after hours of use. I'd take another plastic Galaxy S over a crippled s6 with glass and metal any day.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

This is why I love Samsung phones. Removable batteries and SD cards. Design shouldn't compromise function. It's a freaking phone, why does it need to be metal? I've complained about Samsung's plastics in the past, yes, but that was based on how cheap and terrible their plastic used to be. Example, the plastic on the S5 was great. It wasn't that shiny, slimy, nasty plastic that Samsung used to use. The S5 never felt gross or slimy when I picked it up and I loved it. I know some people hated the dimple back, but it was nice to hold. The Note 4 also has really nice plastic. It has a nice grippy texture and doesn't get gross after hours of use. I'd take another plastic Galaxy S over a crippled s6 with glass and metal any day.

Not to mention that most people are using a cover for the phone anyways.

Personally I would prefer a full leather cover every day over full metal and sealed. Just look LG they've seen that the g2 lacked those features then they improved it and had a smashhit with the g3.

It's a damn phoneso functionality beats design at least for me.

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

All Samsung needed to do was take the Note design and improve and improve all the specs on the s5...they would have had a huge winner on their hand s now Samsung might have a phone for a different audience on a different operating system 😃

Amen carrtman!

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

TBH, with it being this close to the official reveal I have to wonder why folks are spending so much energy trying to guess.

Can we really not wait until Sunday?

📱VI+🐉

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

To tell you the truth I don't care for SD card. I stream from rhapsody so I don't download music. I have 50gb with at&t locker for free, 15gb with Google Drive, Dropbox, and I have a 32gb lg g3. Internal memory is better and faster anyways...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21