Will Samsung Pay be a factor in whether you get the S6 or not?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Not at all, I hardly use  pay now.

Tapatalk'n On The  IPhone 6+

That's because Apple Pay barely works anywhere. If the S6 only came with NFC payments I wouldn't be excited because I'd barely use it either. It's a waste of time to ask if they accept it then try to see if it works. With MST, it's just going to work. Stick your phone up to the machine where you'd normally swipe. Big selling point for me. The cashier doesn't need to know anything special. They may look at you funny at first then say "Wow it worked". As time goes on, cashiers will get used to it, not that they need to though.

I think Samsung is paving the way for mobile payments. Eventually NFC will be everywhere and Apple Pay will work just fine, but stores aren't in any rush to pay extra to support it when nobody really cares. If stores start seeing people using it everywhere then they will take notice and when they do upgrade their systems they will probably start including NFC and start caring about making it more convenient for mobile usage.

There's already been times where I'm at a self checkout or at subway and about to swipe my card where I was thinking that it would be really cool if I could just put my phone up against that and just have it work. Can't wait for this technology.

Another small thing that probably isn't implemented but I'm hoping eventually will be is the ability to leaves notes on the different cards in your mobile wallet. I do a lot of credit card churning to earn points and my wife has a hard time keeping up with it. Use Card A at grocery stores and department stores. Use Card B at gas stations. And then the categories change every few months. I have to tape a piece of paper to the card so she knows which to use. It would be so much easier if I could just remove a card from her phone when I don't want her to use that one or she can select "Grocery" and it will automatically pop up with the card that she should be using.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd say it's not a factor, however I look forward to using it if it's a well regarded feature as its utility is well received over time.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of warming up to it. I had to run to the pharmacy late last night, and I whipped out my phone to use the rewards card on my Keyring app. That's when it dawned on me that if I had the S6, I could use MST on the swipe reader and save the hassle of pocketing my phone and pulling my wallet out.

Now, this is faaaaaar from earth shaking and wouldn't affect nor influence my phone decision in the least. But it's a bit more useful than "unnecessary".

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Idk but it seems to me that u guys really don't have a idea of how many stores that people frequent accept Google wallet. At least 4 places I go daily accept wallet. McDonald's, Walgreens, BP, and Home Depot have had wallet for years.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Idk but it seems to me that u guys really don't have a idea of how many stores that people frequent accept Google wallet. At least 4 places I go daily accept wallet. McDonald's, Walgreens, BP, and Home Depot have had wallet for years.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1
Or perhaps we do and we just don't frequent those. Personally I prefer Lowe's and RiteAid.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The thing about MST is that it doesn't require any special set up on the part of the vendor. It is, in essence, a substitute for swiping your credit card. That's the reason why it's a much more robust alternative to NFC payment systems since almost every vendor has a swipe reader but only a select few have NFC capability. The only readers that won't take MST are the ones where you have to dip the card in, like gas station pumps, because the card physically activates the reader.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I see is when you're at a restaurant or bar or something like that. Would still need your credit card unless you're comfortable with handing the waiter or bartender your phone.

And even then, you can't do that because of the thumb reading, right?

Last edited:

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The only issue I see is when you're at a restaurant or bar or something like that. Would still need your credit card unless you're comfortable with handing the waiter or bartender your phone.

And even then, you can't do that because of the thumb reading, right?

Correct. I've been seeing more and more restaurants pop up that have the handheld card readers so the waiter can swipe at the table though. Still very uncommon, but when you think about it, it makes more sense than some sketchy dude walking to the back of the room with your CC and returning 10 mins later. It's one thing that I always wondered about when it comes to people panicking about credit card theft and having their identity stolen. We are handing our credit card to strangers at restaurant and letting them go out of sight with it.....

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty bizarre. We just somehow trust them with it for some reason.

Chili's has the table stations, but that's pretty much it as far as I know.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that when Costco adopts wireless payments that they will support Samsung Pay in addition to Apple Pay.

That's just it, with Samsung pay, Costco and others don't have to sign up they just work right out of the box with any MST card swiping box... Well you'll have to put your cards on it first.

Posted via Android Central App

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
That's just it, with Samsung pay, Costco and others don't have to sign up they just work right out of the box with any MST card swiping box... Well you'll have to put your cards on it first.

Posted via Android Central App

Don't you have to input your credit cards into Apple Pay just the same?

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've missed this Samsung payment feature. Is it on both s6 models (edge and plain)? Does it work with all 3 storage options (32, 64, 128)?