Samsung Galaxy S6 Way to go Samsung!

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
have been checking out some of the info on the S6/S6 edge tonight and have to say, i'm impressed. the note 4 was the first samsung device to really catch my attention in a very long time and i ended up buying one and am currently using (and still loving!) the thing. like any phone, it has it's flaws but also has a lot of great things going for it. finally the design team has caught up with the rest of the pack, and they're really pushing out what seem to be some great devices.

i'm really happy with how the note 4 competes with the iphone 6 plus, in terms of being a great all around device; as many of us know, regardless of how much we love android, sometimes the iphones tend to be better at being good at all things where many android devices lag far behind in a few areas while excelling in others. i think and hope the s6 will kick it up another notch with the exynos processors. and i'm incredibly happy that they're moving away from the rear mounted speaker. i could care less about the removable battery, but i would like to see a return to SD cards on the s7. anyway, just figured i'd share my thoughts as i really like the direction samsung is headed lately :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Way to go Samsung!

i could care less about the removable battery
Until your battery goes into thermal runaway and instead of dropping the battery out of the phone, you watch the phone melt. Or the phone gets wet and by the time you break the back off and unplug the battery, it's too late and the phone is doomed.

but i would like to see a return to SD cards on the s7
So would I. Unfortunately, Google is going the other way - getting rid of them.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Until your battery goes into thermal runaway and instead of dropping the battery out of the phone, you watch the phone melt. Or the phone gets wet and by the time you break the back off and unplug the battery, it's too late and the phone is doomed.

or a year or two down the road you want to sell your phone, and the battery can't hold a charge and you lose $200-300.

or when you need to pop in a 10000mAh battery for a long trip with now power supply.

worst part, it doesn't have to. Samsung could have release two variates, one with functionality, one with looks.

If Note 5 turns out to be like s6, note 3/4 will be the last samsung smartphone I own.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

People hate too much on a non-removable battery. It's not that hard to prepare to have alternate power source if you think you'll need it.

Keep it simple....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm disappointed about the non-removable battery and SD card and just hope they don't do the same thing with the Note 5.

G3 📱🍭

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

I know plenty of people with the S4 and S5 that never swap their batteries. And having a non removable battery has never hurt iPhone resales. I think the S6 is the design that customers have been asking for....

~S

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I won't be considering it because of lack of SD. Now that I'm facing factory resets due to lollipop I really see the value in microsd cards for storing media.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

People hate too much on a non-removable battery. It's not that hard to prepare to have alternate power source if you think you'll need it.

Keep it simple....

eprnd.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I know plenty of people with the S4 and S5 that never swap their batteries. And having a non removable battery has never hurt iPhone resales. I think the S6 is the design that customers have been asking for....

~S

I'm one of those people. Never had a need to swap in my S5. :D

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

So would I. Unfortunately, Google is going the other way - getting rid of them.

That's why you plan ahead. I use an iPhone 6plus and have a this 4,000 mah backup battery. Problem solved.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

~S

I bet most people never swapped batteries.

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

I bet most people never swapped batteries.

I would agree. I'm almost always near some sort of charger for a quick power up. But honestly the battery life on my Xperia Z3 and the iPhone 6+ is really good. When I go camping I just bring one of those USB battery packs. Just as portable in my back pack and works for every phone/tablet. I used to think I would miss the SD card, but 64gb on board is plenty and I have dropbox and onedrive to hold extra stuff.

~S

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

or a year or two down the road you want to sell your phone, and the battery can't hold a charge and you lose $200-300.

or when you need to pop in a 10000mAh battery for a long trip with now power supply.

worst part, it doesn't have to. Samsung could have release two variates, one with functionality, one with looks.

If Note 5 turns out to be like s6, note 3/4 will be the last samsung smartphone I own.

But everybody screamed about the plastic back , which made it easy for changing things.
So Samsung went with everybody else in wanting a Pretty phone. Instead of a waterproof phone , that gave good service.
The metal ring around the phone also caused the phones to not get receiption as well in the outlying area's of town.

On on the battery. a spare battery was like 30.00. Pop the plastic cover off and take the battery out and stick a new one in.

When people want to mess up the good things in a phone. I want the phones to be less user friendly. More restictions like No SD card, No replaceable batteries.
You use I storage and have to pay money for it every month.

The S5 with the plastic back is a great phone.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Battery is not an issue. There will be battery cases and there are lots of portable backup power banks on the market. If 128gb is not enough, nothing will be enough.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Suppose just suppose that Samsung keeps making the S5 for some time s well as the S6. I know you can walk into Best Buy or many carrier stores and still buy an S4...in fact, Best Buy is still selling the S3. ...point is, for those that really want the removable battery and SD card Samsung will still have a mainstream product for you for quite some time I believe.

G3 📱🍭

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

I'm not bothered about the battery not being removable but wish they could have made a slot for a micro sd card and water proofed it.

I really hope that the note 5 retains a micro sd card slot.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm not bothered about the battery not being removable but wish they could have made a slot for a micro sd card and water proofed it.

Waterproof for what exactly? 99 percent of phones are not waterproof and people are not asking for a waterproof phone. Why add a cost that won't add to sales.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Honestly I don't think the general public cares about a removable battery. Of the tons of people that I know with smartphones not a single one carries or owns an extra battery. These are mainly not "phone nerd" people, just the normal folks who walk in and upgrade to a new phone without much thought on internals, etc. People have car chargers, extra wall chargers, battery packs, etc. so I don't think many even consider getting a spare battery. With the advent of quick charge I think that makes people even more apt not to get a spare. Quick charge on my phone charges so fast if I am low I just plug it in for 10-15 minutes and I get a lot of juice. Add that to the fact that I have a quick charge car charger and a wireless charging pad at work and I have never seen the need for a spare. Don't get me wrong I think some people have a legitimate need but I think it is a very tiny percentage of the overall landscape.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Honestly I don't think the general public cares about a removable battery. Of the tons of people that I know with smartphones not a single one carries or owns an extra battery. These are mainly not "phone nerd" people, just the normal folks who walk in and upgrade to a new phone without much thought on internals, etc. People have car chargers, extra wall chargers, battery packs, etc. so I don't think many even consider getting a spare battery. With the advent of quick charge I think that makes people even more apt not to get a spare. Quick charge on my phone charges so fast if I am low I just plug it in for 10-15 minutes and I get a lot of juice. Add that to the fact that I have a quick charge car charger and a wireless charging pad at work and I have never seen the need for a spare. Don't get me wrong I think some people have a legitimate need but I think it is a very tiny percentage of the overall landscape.
This. It's just going to take some time for some enthusiasts (the only ones who care) to get used to non-removable batteries and SD cards. We will.

G3 📱🍭

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Once the device is launched, it will sell very well and most people won't gripe any longer about the battery or storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton