Anybody going to use this magnificent beast naked?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've always used slim cases on my phones but this is just so damned gorgeous I find myself tempted to use it naked (the phone, not me... lol).

Anyone else thinking of going au natural?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used cases on my phones for years. I'm currently planning on getting the regular S6, but have no plans on getting a case. If the device is slick I will likely get a skin from dbrand, but that is it.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It is glass - I would advise against keeping it naked.

I know this is Gorilla Glass 4 but I have seen way too many cracked/broken iPhone 4/4s, Nexus 4s, Xperia Z phones, etc. from drops so I would put ghost armor on it or use a glass screen protector/back protector at minimum. The phone will be insanely popular so you will easily be able get a grippy clear TPU case as well.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 4 has a Mohs hardness of under 7.Quarts (sand) is 7, so a grain of sand can cut the glass. Carbide is 9, so it's like cutting butter with a hot knife. (There are carbide particles in the air all the time.)

Dropping, OTOH, is the opposite of harness. The harder something is, the stiffer it is, and the easier it'll break from shock. (Try dropping a lump of putty and making it break.) So it's a fight between harder glass to make it scratch-resistant and softer glass to make it breakproof. Or just harder glass and a shock-absobent case, which is why there are TPU/silicone cases.

vtpmt, a glass screen protector protects against scratches, but not against shock. Dropping the phone on a corner of the frame can spider the glass.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 4 has a Mohs hardness of under 7.Quarts (sand) is 7, so a grain of sand can cut the glass. Carbide is 9, so it's like cutting butter with a hot knife. (There are carbide particles in the air all the time.)

Dropping, OTOH, is the opposite of harness. The harder something is, the stiffer it is, and the easier it'll break from shock. (Try dropping a lump of putty and making it break.) So it's a fight between harder glass to make it scratch-resistant and softer glass to make it breakproof. Or just harder glass and a shock-absobent case, which is why there are TPU/silicone cases.

vtpmt, a glass screen protector protects against scratches, but not against shock. Dropping the phone on a corner of the frame can spider the glass.

Thanks for the info - everyone should read your post.

I said that I would put armor on the phone at minimum but meant to suggest that anyone that buys the phone get a clear TPU case. I have a Moto X 2014 with bamboo back with a clear TPU case and it has worked wonders - the case is very grippy and I have had the phone non off my desk accidentally by a mortified co-worker and she and I were happy that the phone was still in pristine condition.

If I got the phone - I would get a clear TPU case to show off the really nice design and protect the phone.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info - everyone should read your post.

I said that I would put armor on the phone at minimum but meant to suggest that anyone that buys the phone get a clear TPU case. I have a Moto X 2014 with bamboo back with a clear TPU case and it has worked wonders - the case is very grippy and I have had the phone non off my desk accidentally by a mortified co-worker and she and I were happy that the phone was still in pristine condition.

If I got the phone - I would get a clear TPU case to show off the really nice design and protect the phone.
Yes. More than ever with this phone I think clear cases are going to be the way to go. It's just too darn beautiful to cover up with a traditional case. I hope the case makers realize this and get to work on some nice clear cases.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Depends where I am or where I'll be. If I'm at home it will be naked and perhaps when out for a dinner. When I go to work I'll wrap it up.

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
1. It's not "naked." It's "nekkid." Get it right. :D
2. I'll be putting an ArmorSuit or Skinomi screen protector on, and at the very least a cheap thin TPU case. Hopefully something thin enough that Qi and MST works through it. I might try a Lifeproof to see if that stuff works through it, but it'll probably be too thick.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I would go naked but I'm always concerned about scratching the camera lense, which IMO, is going to be the killer feature of this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech