03-21-2015 12:46 AM
367 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Happily, there are at least some hints here that the Note 5 will continue to have SD cards and batteries (quote buried in the middle):
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...pecs-and-price

Not meant to be an appendage, just to off some garbage to free up some room. Have fun with your cluttered phone.
    This is the thing some of us keep saying: everyone's need is not the same. My 128gb SD card is mostly filled with my music library. How does this clutter my phone? For thing, it's on the SD card, not the phone's internal storage. Having something dangling off of a port isn't even close to a decent solution. I use the phone for music a lot. If every time I try to play something I have to attach a dongle or something--well, that's not exactly a decent substitute for the SD card. It's just one more thing to lose, forget or damage while carrying the phone.
    mrsmumbles, Scott7217 and KJ78 like this.
    03-07-2015 09:49 AM
    Happily, there are at least some hints here that the Note 5 will continue to have SD cards and batteries (quote buried in the middle):
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date, rumours, news, specs and price - News - Trusted Reviews

This is the thing some of us keep saying: everyone's need is not the same. My 128gb SD card is mostly filled with my music library. How does this clutter my phone? For thing, it's on the SD card, not the phone's internal storage. Having something dangling off of a port isn't even close to a decent solution. I use the phone for music a lot. If every time I try to play something I have to attach a dongle or something--well, that's not exactly a decent substitute for the SD card. It's just one more thing to lose, forget or damage while carrying the phone.
    Did you read my post? It's not an appendage, just a tool to offload some garbage. Just how many songs do you carry around on your device out of curiosity?
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-07-2015 09:59 AM
    You have a serious music addiction. I bet that there are songs that you heard in a while. Thus the clutter. Don't be a tech packet. There's cloud storage or services like Google Music. However, if it works for you, great. This is just another expandable storage discussion. The ship has sailed. If this feature us such a distraction, get another device. Embrace the future and adapt or be content with what you have and not force others to be subjected to another expandable storage rant. You don't have to defend your decisions or presences. There is a sub-forum for those not happy with the design choices by Samsung for the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-07-2015 09:59 AM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date, rumours, news, specs and price - News - Trusted Reviews

You are not supposed to use an external flash to "dangle off of a port". It's simply an option to back stuff up. Why would you even think you would connect the flash to play music or access files?
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-07-2015 10:02 AM
    You are not supposed to use an external flash to "dangle off of a port". It's simply an option to back stuff up. Why would you even think you would connect the flash to play music or access files?
    Exactly.

03-07-2015 10:03 AM
    its refreshing you guys are recycling iPeople's argument from years back. Not saying its right or wrong, just can't resist the irony!
    03-07-2015 10:03 AM
    Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute. Inders99: "This just rendered the SD card pointless in most cases."

I don't know why I need something to dangle off of a port for backing up. I already have USB for the phone itself. And the sd card flips nicely into a card reader for fast backup. But the SD card never needs to be backed up---it's not where I keep my originals. They're just copies.

"I bet that there are songs that you heard in a while. Thus the clutter."

As for my music addiction (yes, I'm loving the pejorative there): Just because someone doesn't use the device the way others do, doesn't mean it is wrong. I fail to see how filling up my card with music that I like clutters my phone. Especially since the mp3s are NOT ON THE PHONE. There's a illogical leap there that makes no sense. I like to have my music library. With me. It's a matter of choice and selection for whatever I'm in the mood for. Yep, that definitely means that I don't listen to all of them all the time. It also means I get to choose whatever I want and am not limited to the last 12 albums ripped. That's not your need? Fair enough. I don't expect everyone to have that need. A lot of people hate S-pens and big screens, too. But I do have that need. Maybe one day all data will be free and everyone will be hooked in and you'll be able to walk around streets in Paris with copious streaming of every conceivable song you want to play. Until then streaming helps, but it isn't an adequate solution in all cases. Hence, the card.
    mrsmumbles and Jay Sacks like this.
    03-07-2015 10:05 AM
    Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute.

I don't know why I need something to dangle off of a port for backing up. I already USB for the phone itself. And the sd card flips nicely into a card reader for fast backup. But the SD card never needs to be backed up---it's not where I keep my originals. They're just copies.
    Because it's an option for those that can't grasp the concept of not having a SD Card.
    03-07-2015 10:07 AM
    Because it's an option for those that can't grasp the concept of not having a SD Card.
    Man, you hit a nerve.

03-07-2015 10:15 AM
    Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute. Inders99: "This just rendered the SD card pointless in most cases."
    I'll stand by my post and subsequent posts that it's to be used to off garbage that's taking up space, not to drag around.

Maybe someone can answer my question so I can quantify some of this discussion, how many songs does it take to clutter up 128gbs?
    03-07-2015 10:20 AM
    I'll stand by my post and subsequent posts that it's to be used to off garbage that's taking up space, not to drag around.

Maybe someone can answer my question so I can quantify some of this discussion, how many songs does it take to clutter up 128gbs?
    However many it is has to be in the thousands.

03-07-2015 10:24 AM

It's hard to answer that question because the answer will change depending on variables. I.e,., whether it is mostly pop or classical (some classical movements counting as 1 song could be the equivalent 5+ pop songs). The answer will also change depending on how you have them ripped. If you have high quality rips, it takes up a lot more space. The music I have on my 128gb card now is almost precisely the same as I had on my 64gb card. The key thing that changed is that I re-ripped them with good bit rates instead of having most at 160 since I finally had a card that made doing that worthwhile.
    03-07-2015 10:25 AM

Not as many as you'd think. My dead computer had less than 128 GB storage and there's very little music on it for the 80 GB I had. If you rip a TV series to watch on a commute and have a decent music library, 128 GB isn't that much space. (Fortunately I have everything backed up to external drives - why is it a bad idea to back up one's phone the same way? And carry the external drive in the phone?)
    clevin and monsieurms like this.
    03-07-2015 10:26 AM
    I am unsure who is claiming that the sole purpose of SD is to hold songs......
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-07-2015 10:35 AM
    Not as many as you'd think. My dead computer had less than 128 GB storage and there's very little music on it for the 80 GB I had. If you rip a TV series to watch on a commute and have a decent music library, 128 GB isn't that much space. (Fortunately I have everything backed up to external drives - why is it a bad idea to back up one's phone the same way? And carry the external drive in the phone?)
    You need the external device to off load what you aren't using. Perpetuating the discussion about expandable storage is for those who don't really need just demonstrate the laziness of some to streamline and carry less dead weight.

Inders99 likes this.
    03-07-2015 10:37 AM
    We definitely have a expandable storage obesity epidemic here.

Inders99 likes this.
    03-07-2015 10:38 AM
    I think we are saying it looks like sd may be on the way out in the long term, and there are other options. The S6 is the first premium Samsung with a toe in that water. 128 - 200 gb has gone past what sd was meant for, imv.

I don't advocate cloud storage at all.
    I have about 300 mb on 3 accounts and the cloud is actually (wait for it, shock and awe) somebody else's computer they call a server.

I can't afford to replace a computer, but if we have a decent phone with sd now, but hope to spend 700 - 900 on the next flagship, well I can buy a refurbished desktop with W7 for 80, an XP for half.

I wouldn't buy an 8 or 16gb device without an sd option. That's the market sd cards started.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    03-07-2015 10:51 AM
    To me there's just this feeling of "You had this before, we know you liked it, but we're taking it away. Here's a conciliation prize". Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way but for some odd reason I do.

Can I adapt? Of course, they're just phones. It still stings a bit though. Just don't mess up my Note series the same way this year. I know they will sooner or later but please don't this year.

G3 ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿญ
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    03-07-2015 11:40 AM
    To me there's just this feeling of "You had this before, we know you liked it, but we're taking it away. Here's a conciliation prize". Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way but for some odd reason I do.

Can I adapt? Of course, they're just phones. It still stings a bit though. Just don't mess up my Note series the same way this year. I know they will sooner or later but please don't this year.

G3 ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿญ
    It was more a case of we hear you know and sorry for not listening. Improved resolution and energy efficiency of the new display especially in sunlight. Premium build materials. More powerful and energy efficient chipsets. More advanced LTE radio. Multiple wireless charging standards. UFS storage. 32GB storage to start. 3GB of DDR4 RAM versus 1GB of DDR3. Better external speaker. Etc.

03-07-2015 12:00 PM
    It was more a case of we hear you know and sorry for not listening. Improved resolution and energy efficiency of the new display especially in sunlight. Premium build materials. More powerful and energy efficient chipsets. More advanced LTE radio. Multiple wireless charging standards. UFS storage. 32GB storage to start. 3GB of DDR4 RAM versus 1GB of DDR3. Better external speaker. Etc.

I know... and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse. I got new phones in Jan and Feb and all but one of them have removables so I'm set for 2015 and at least half of 2016 if need be.

G3 ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿญ
    03-07-2015 12:37 PM
    I know... and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse. I got new phones in Jan and Feb and all but one of them have removables so I'm set for 2015 and at least half of 2016 if need be.

G3 ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿญ
    Happy for you. Enjoy the canoli and leave the gun.

03-07-2015 12:45 PM
    Happy for you. Enjoy the canoli and leave the gun.

G3 ๐Ÿ“ฑ๐Ÿญ
    03-07-2015 12:51 PM
    My 128gb has about 45 HD movies and about 7000 songs. It's nearly full and I recently discovered FLAC files which are bigger and sound better.

And it's backed up on my pcs, laptops, clouds, NAS, etc and I have never had an SD card fail on me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-07-2015 01:18 PM
    Just a quick look-up, it looks like many multiples of thousands...many multiples for 128. I don't know...I think most of the gripers are the fringe people here. It just seems strange to carry and hold so much entertainment on a device without rotating the garbage out.

Sort of reminds me of the TV show Hoarders...but what do I know.
    slave likes this.
    03-07-2015 01:24 PM
    My 128gb has about 45 HD movies and about 7000 songs. It's nearly full and I recently discovered FLAC files which are bigger and sound better.

And it's backed up on my pcs, laptops, clouds, NAS, etc and I have never had an SD card fail on me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Awesome for you. Buy the 128gb GS6 and you are set.

03-07-2015 01:25 PM
367 ... 89101112 ...