Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The point is, you don't NEED it. You WANT it. The phone functions, as intended, with out it. SD cards are slow.

As a side note, I could see them removing them to remove the performance "hit" accessing them, making the phones seem slow. Of course we know that this new phone has some uber fast memory, and SD cards will not be as fast.

My SD card works perfectly. I have no problems whatsoever playing music off of it. So, what's supposedly slow about it as I use it? In any event, it works perfectly for me. If you don't want to use an SD card, Samsung has never forced that on anyone.

I'm not sure why my "wanting" it is so irrelevant. Most of us have features we like that are near and dear to our hearts and fundamental to how we use devices. This is a computer, not just a phone. If you want to get rid of all those unessential features that aren't necessary for it to be a phone, it's going to be a really long list. If you want your device to merely be a phone, I can't imagine why anyone would bother to spend the money for a high end device. Those types of devices are intended to do lots of things and fill lots of needs for power users. Isn't that kinda the whole point?

Last edited:

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My SD card works perfectly. I have no problems whatsoever playing music off of it. So, what's supposedly slow about it as I use it? In any event, it works perfectly for me. If you don't want to use an SD card, Samsung has never forced that on anyone.

I'm not sure why my "wanting" it is so irrelevant. Most of us have features we like that are near and dear to our hearts and fundamental to how we use devices. This is a computer, not just a phone. If you want to get rid of all those unessential features that aren't necessary for it to be a phone, it's going to be a really long list. If you want your device to merely be a phone, I can't imagine why anyone would bother to spend the money for a high end device. Those types of devices are intended to do lots of things and fill lots of needs for power users. Isn't that kinda the whole point?

Do what you gotta do hommie, I was just pointing out that you have a want, not a need. I get it, you like having a ton of stuff on your device, good on you. It's your pesos to spend, do it how you want it.

I am just saying, it's not needed, the phone functions wonderfully with out it. It's intended purpose is hit. I left Samsuck jail a long time ago, this phone is pulling me back into the fold. I skipped the S4 and S5 went Nexus, and now, I have desire for screen protectors and cases, this phone is pretty, so I am headed back I think. I have existed wonderfully with out the SD. I am not you, you do what you gotta do.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I really think these guys are making a bigger issue over this than those making an issue over no swappable battery.
It would be like merging every thread complaining about lollipop in the S5 forums - and there is a lot.
This is how internet forums work.
You don't merge every thread that bothers you into one.
Just breath in and breath out, and move to a happy thread. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Amen. Posting incessant rants without any facts is senseless. If a rant offends you, take a deep breath and move on. Believe me. They have and you would have stooped to their level and given them a reaction. They seek to bully the many over the interests of a few IMHO.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Plus, for the rest of the world microsd continues to be essential - it's not going to disappear and it shouldn't.

Could you expand some on what you mean and what data supports your opinion? What do those of you who consider SD cards essential have on the cards? I obviously don't use my phone in the same manner as you. Maybe I am missing some useful function.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Could you expand some on what you mean and what data supports your opinion? What do those of you who consider SD cards essential have on the cards? I obviously don't use my phone in the same manner as you. Maybe I am missing some useful function.

I was referring to the world market. Data availability is expensive and hit or miss in Asia for example. Android phones in those markets have microSD because the consumers there still want and need them. And plenty of consumers in North America still want and need them too.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
A poll would be interesting to see how much music people carry on their devices.

My EDM folder is at 45.88gb right now and I'm quickly running out of space on my 64gb micro sd card. I listen to many DJ mixes (which take more space than a single song) from around the world. I'm constantly DLing and erasing. I'll be getting my 128gb micro sd card soon enough to fix my lack of storage issue :)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They could if their market research showed that enough of the market cared about those features for them to invest the time and money and resources to implement them. Clearly that is not the case, their research must have showed that there was more of a benefit to adding things like MST and premium design, and that a removable battery and microSD would not generate enough additional sales to justify the R&D and implementation costs.

This is why it is important for people to say that they want SD cards and removable batteries in their phones. The market is not set in stone.

marleyjones

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
the poll does not represent the entire picture so I don't think Sammy made a wrong move here. True, there would be a lot of negative remarks about this changes but Sammy must have gone to greater length and thorough research to come up with something as beautiful as this---S6 Edge

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Supposing the cost for a 128gb sealed phone was in line with past flagship releases, and not 100 - 200 more - what some people seem to be saying is 64gb or 128gb is nowhere near enough for them to manage.

I hope we can put the 'sd card is essential for backups', for most people, to bed.
Some don't want to have to store or backup on external storage devices, yet insist having a tiny micro sd card in a small device is safe because they always back up elsewhere.

I agree hanging something on otg cables is fiddly, but for quick temporary loading of files from small drives they are an alternative until better storage add ons come along.

Two usb ports would be nice in future, one full size.

If someone gets a new 64/128gb device and instantly loads it fully so they have no space - really?
Is every kb that essential?

If you need this 5" device with 300gb for your profession, you need professional equipment.

I am not against sd cards, but for some premium devices it may be time to move on.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to the world market. Data availability is expensive and hit or miss in Asia for example. Android phones in those markets have microSD because the consumers there still want and need them. And plenty of consumers in North America still want and need them too.
They actually need them because the el cheapo Android handsets come with 2-4gb internal and extSD is essential. They wouldn't need them if they had a cushy 32gb internal.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola have information on how many of their users use SD cards and removable batteries.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I never use Micro SD cards and my last 4 phones didnt have a removable battery...

i much prefer a slimmer, lighter phone without those unnecessary features...so this change is a benefit.

Glenn Sager

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Do what you gotta do hommie, I was just pointing out that you have a want, not a need. I get it, you like having a ton of stuff on your device, good on you. It's your pesos to spend, do it how you want it.

I am just saying, it's not needed, the phone functions wonderfully with out it. It's intended purpose is hit. I left Samsuck jail a long time ago, this phone is pulling me back into the fold. I skipped the S4 and S5 went Nexus, and now, I have desire for screen protectors and cases, this phone is pretty, so I am headed back I think. I have existed wonderfully with out the SD. I am not you, you do what you gotta do.

I have given up on Slave. He is fine with the SD card being gone because for him it is a "want not a need". As long as he has what he considers needs he will apparently argue until the end of time that the rest of us are wrong for saying it is a need. SD cards are not needed...unless you feel they are. Slave has stated over and over that we are wrong, SD cards are just wants and we should be fine if they remove them. I assume that as long as something that Slave considers a need is not removed from a device, we will continue to be wrong.

All the people who disagree with Slave have said is that they do not like the idea of removing the SD card and removable battery options from the phone. To some of us these features are needs. I have never had the issues with Samsung phones that Slave has. If I was him/her and had all the same issues, I would never consider getting a Samsung phone again. If the Note series does away with expandable memory and replaceable batteries, I will have to make a decision when I upgrade on what to do at that point.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's run down some facts:
  • No one is forced to buy the Galaxy S6.
  • There are other Android phones that have SD card slots.
  • There are other Android phones that have removable batteries.

Now some opinion:
  • The Galaxy S6 will likely will be a sales success. It won't be a success despite the lack of an SD card slot and removable battery. Those features aren't as relevant to most potential buyers.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This just seems preposterous to me, I'm sorry...when do you have time to do anything else but manage your inventory? I wasn't aware that the human race even wrote 7000 songs in their history :p

This is actually quite funny. Good effort....

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Lol you are making your life harder. You won't be able to differentiate the quality of sound anyway on the go because it's always louder than home. Also you won't get to watch full movies while commuting. You don't have to bring your entire library on the go. Just buy 64 GB or 32 GB and grab a few of your favourites.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I can tell the difference as I have a headphone amplifier and several decent pairs of headphones.

I only have all of my music on there. I have about 400 HD movies and 500 SD movies. So 45 is a small percentage.

And do you know how long I spend commutting every day?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola have information on how many of their users use SD cards and removable batteries.

Not sure what you mean, HTC eliminated sd card, then put it back, what does that say?

They know when their users use sd card and removable battery? how? are devices transmitting data secretly to the vendor or something?

TBH, i don't think they have that kind of concrete data as to what their users "prefer", if they do, they would make whatever "best configuration" years ago.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How many flights are long enough for 45 movies? You must stuck in airports alot. Where is there time to listen to 7k songs? I would back everything up to an external hard drive. What happens if the card fails?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

If you read my post you would see that all is backed up to several places. Never had a card fail.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I guess this comes down to management for me...why would someone keep tons of movies on their phone? Watch it and move it...no? Watch it twice maybe and move it? Have a few D/L'd for a trip then dump them? And tens of thousands of songs? I just don't think Samsung's target market it to make devices that double as massive storage devices but maybe I'm way off base here. It certainly has struck a chord (so to speak) with some here, I just don't think that's representative of the overall market.

A poll would be interesting to see how much music people carry on their devices.

In the end here, it's possible you replaceable people are going to get your wish, Samsung has come out with different versions of the same phone in the past and if they feel there's a big enough market then they'll do it. Seems to me they might have looked into that before the S6 development.

If the do have intentions of releasing an alternative version I'd think they'd want to do it with some expediency since LG might retain the replaceable battery/card and they'd be foolish to let your segment go over to LG for that aspect alone.

I hardly ever use my phone to make or receive phone calls. Music, movies, texts, Facebook, emails, twitter, pictures is what I use it most for. Therefore the need for more and expandible storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.