03-21-2015 12:46 AM
367 1234 ...
tools
    Well, me for one...the fact that the SD/battery is not a deal breaker but given the choice I'd rather have them than not. Maybe waiting for the G4 will be enough time to get hints about an active/prime.
    Waiting is always the smart choice the worst thing that can happen is a lower price or/and enough time to fix the major bugs.
    03-02-2015 09:21 PM
    Well, me for one...the fact that the SD/battery is not a deal breaker but given the choice I'd rather have them than not. Maybe waiting for the G4 will be enough time to get hints about an active/prime.
    Well, now that I think about it, it's very plausible and probably not bad idea for samsung. They can just take S5 design form, tweak it a little and put internals of S6 hardware to create water-proof active version. Those of us buying S6 are going for design/build quality over expandability and others buying active are voting for traditional Galaxy features. Not sure if they will really do it though.
    03-02-2015 10:01 PM
    Like everyone I love to have a phone with MicroSD feature. It makes it easier to swap between my phones as well as to transfer data to my PC.
    This is why it's good to have options. Samsung should make a version with micro SD and a version without it. People can then buy the smartphone that meets their needs.
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-02-2015 10:38 PM
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I like the flexibility of having a changeable battery and also having an SD card. No S6 for me. I may go with the S5 or leave Samsung entirely. It's a buyer's market. Buy what meets your needs.
    03-02-2015 11:38 PM
    More phones are moving away from removable batteries I think...eventually no phones will have removable batteries in exchange for Qi charging and other features
    03-03-2015 12:54 AM
    That's the risk of being an early adaptor.

Maybe Samsung is coming to their senses with the s6 Active or Prime.

Also why should they be upset according to them micro sd and removable battery isn't important at all.

Also all the comparisons to other uses unfriendly phones are useless...especially to a phone that has a different operating system.

Wonder, if some iSung 6 "fans"are just disgruntled fans from other phones that are now happy, that Samsung customers should now suffer through the same crap if the battery goes bad and on top of that are left with fixed storage. Whichever highly paid Samsung executive came up with that idea should be fired.
    Samsung did the research. Most people don't care. They're still going to sell dozens of millions of phones

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2
    03-03-2015 01:14 AM
    While having a removable battery is a plus, from my personal experience I have yet to use it when I want too.
    You say that a removable battery is a plus. In your opinion, what are the benefits of a removable battery?

Based on your personal experience, you don't use the removable battery when you want to. Since this is your personal experience, it may not apply to other people. They simply may have a different experience. There's nothing wrong with that.
    03-03-2015 04:30 AM
    You say that a removable battery is a plus. In your opinion, what are the benefits of a removable battery?

Based on your personal experience, you don't use the removable battery when you want to. Since this is your personal experience, it may not apply to other people. They simply may have a different experience. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Yes I agree with you. My experience is different from others. However, I think the larger percentage of user aren't using the feature of having removable battery as it should.
    03-03-2015 04:53 AM
    For all of these "Removable battery is a must!" people, are you all just going to stick with a note 4?

How long do your extra batteries last in your pocket? One guy said in a tropical storm, he could use batteries to get him by for a week..... Yeah right. How many spare batteries do you keep? 9? If the phone is your only electronic working, it will be a dead battery in 6 hours from constant and continuous use. You will need about 18 to make it a week with no charger. Disaster plan, this is not.

An external charger is too bulky but a pocket full of batteries is not? This is huge stretch here. For the guy who has no charger at work, so he comes home and pops in a new battery, then he can head back out right? Well, what are you doing on the train? Plug in that external charger. What if you drive? Plug in your phone. What do we non Samsung users do? Well, I dunno, we make it though.

20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?

You can't pop a hot battery????? Why is your battery hot? The only phone I ever had this issue with was my Epic, GS2 and GS3. Once I left Samsung, I never had this issue again. This is not a thing with the rest of the world. Your phone should never get so hot that you need to pop your battery out and run away before it explodes.

I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs. Once wewent Nexus and Moto X, this never happened again.

SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also.

Besides the above, where you all going to go? What will you do? What phones has SD card slots anymore? Note 4? Older LG phones? Chinese phones?
    Jdroids likes this.
    03-03-2015 05:01 AM
    Yes I agree with you. My experience is different from others. However, I think the larger percentage of user aren't using the feature of having removable battery as it should.
    It's good that we agree that your experience is different from others.

What is the percentage of users who aren't using the feature of having removable batteries as they should?.
    03-03-2015 05:15 AM
    For all of these "Removable battery is a must!" people, are you all just going to stick with a note 4?
    The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is a good option. Android Central gave it a very positive review.

Another option would probably be Project Ara. I think that phone will have memory and battery modules that you can swap. We'll have to wait until the actual release to know the exact details for the Project Ara phone.
    slave and monsieurms like this.
    03-03-2015 05:27 AM
    Someone posted this on google+ he had a point

Fact of the matter is that the people who will really, truly care about non-removable battery and sd card slot are in a ridiculous minority. *The masses of people that buy Samsung phones aren't here poring over details of the phone, they're John and Jane Doe walking into a store, saying "ooh, it's pretty" and buying it on contract. *

Out of the 10% or so of Samsung's customers that care to know the details, probably 2-3% at most will actually walk away from it because of those reasons. *However, the iPhoners that are on the fence about switching may have just found the one device they really want, and they also won't care about SD cards and non-removable batteries.

Point is, the details matter to us very vocal, but also very minor few. *All of us aside though, Samsung definitely has a winner on its hands and ditching removable batteries and sd cards is going to win them far more than it will cost them.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Jdroids and newsman787 like this.
    03-03-2015 05:30 AM

How long do your extra batteries last in your pocket? One guy said in a tropical storm, he could use batteries to get him by for a week..... Yeah right. How many spare batteries do you keep? 9? If the phone is your only electronic working, it will be a dead battery in 6 hours from constant and continuous use. You will need about 18 to make it a week with no charger. Disaster plan, this is not.

An external charger is too bulky but a pocket full of batteries is not? This is huge stretch here. For the guy who has no charger at work, so he comes home and pops in a new battery, then he can head back out right? Well, what are you doing on the train? Plug in that external charger. What if you drive? Plug in your phone. What do we non Samsung users do? Well, I dunno, we make it though.

20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?

You can't pop a hot battery????? Why is your battery hot? The only phone I ever had this issue with was my Epic, GS2 and GS3. Once I left Samsung, I never had this issue again. This is not a thing with the rest of the world. Your phone should never get so hot that you need to pop your battery out and run away before it explodes.

I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs. Once wewent Nexus and Moto X, this never happened again.

SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also.

Besides the above, where you all going to go? What will you do? What phones has SD card slots anymore? Note 4? Older LG phones? Chinese phones?
    Yes, I'm sticking to the Note 4. I couldn't go back to the small form factor of the GS6. I still have my GS4 around and it feels too small. I didn't plan on buying another phone this year, Note 4 meets all of my needs, but I'll buy another phone in 2016. Note 6, depending where Samsung goes with the Note line, look at other phones as well. Mostly looking for Project Ara and seeing if it actually takes off with a lot of OEM support. Being able to change the CPU, GPU, Ram, Battery, camera sensor, display, battery would be a perfect phone. Just like upgrading a computer.

No, you wouldn't rely on an extra battery or 17 of them to last you through a power outage. In most cases, you could take the spare batteries and charge them at work. An OEM battery, an extended battery, will especially help you and let you use the phone without being cautious. Basically, your phone becomes your only tv until power comes back. The weekend hits and you can change the batteries. With a non removable battery, you only have the charge that's left on your phone, gotta wait until you can go somewhere else to charge it again.

And again, battery goes bad or loses it's power over time, all you need to do is replace it with a new battery and throw the old one away.

Also, HTC didn't have an sd card for the M7, but they added one to the M8 and left it on the M9 as well. Same for LG. No sd card support on the G2, but they added sd card support and a replaceable battery as well on the G3. Sony Xperia Z3 has an sd card slot as well..... Really only Motorola and the Nexus line didn't have sd card options, now the GS6 as well.
    03-03-2015 06:51 AM
    No, you wouldn't rely on an extra battery or 17 of them to last you through a power outage. In most cases, you could take the spare batteries and charge them at work. An OEM battery, an extended battery, will especially help you and let you use the phone without being cautious. Basically, your phone becomes your only tv until power comes back. The weekend hits and you can change the batteries. With a non removable battery, you only have the charge that's left on your phone, gotta wait until you can go somewhere else to charge it again.
    You HAVE heard of Mophie and Amzer and the like? External battery "tanks" that you plug your phone into to charge? Some of them hold 3 or more full recharges. Plus, in a power outage, you can keep a UPS around to charge off of (I keep one for my A/V stack anyway). There's also your car charger. Sorry but that justification for a removable battery is awfully convoluted. Where there's a will, there's a way. Where there isn't a will, there's a set of excuses.

The ONLY valid complaint I've seen regarding the battery is what to do when it wears out. It would be nice if Samsung mentioned how difficult (or impossible) it might be to replace. But I'm betting it lasts two years, and right now most people don't hang on to phones longer than that.
    slave likes this.
    03-03-2015 07:02 AM
    If there is a tropical storm, like in his example, then you couldn't go to work to charge it. It's a ridiculous example.
    Inders99 likes this.
    03-03-2015 07:09 AM
    You HAVE heard of Mophie and Amzer and the like? External battery "tanks" that you plug your phone into to charge? Some of them hold 3 or more full recharges. Plus, in a power outage, you can keep a UPS around to charge off of (I keep one for my A/V stack anyway). There's also your car charger. Sorry but that justification for a removable battery is awfully convoluted. Where there's a will, there's a way. Where there isn't a will, there's a set of excuses.

The ONLY valid complaint I've seen regarding the battery is what to do when it wears out. It would be nice if Samsung mentioned how difficult (or impossible) it might be to replace. But I'm betting it lasts two years, and right now most people don't hang on to phones longer than that.
    Yes, and you can use that to charge the phone, but then you have to be waiting for the phone to charge up instead of replacing a battery and being at 100%. Eventually, that has to be charged as well. Wasting gasoline to charge a phone in your car is not a smart idea after a storm, a generator will help you out more, but you would mainly use that for other important things as well.

If there is a tropical storm, like in his example, then you couldn't go to work to charge it. It's a ridiculous example.
    Trust me, it is not a ridiculous example. I've been through a few Tropical Storms and Hurricanes to know a thing or two. Hurricane Wilma rolled through, my home didn't have power for 2 weeks, but guess what, you still have to go to work. Unless it's a completely devastating Hurricane like Andrew or Katrina, which naturally everything is devastated and you can't go anywhere. But if it isn't, you still have to go to work, a Tropical Storm or a weak Hurricane will not bring the city to a stand still. Workers first repair power to the areas of more importance like hospitals and government offices, then they continue to work on restoring power to the neighborhoods.
    03-03-2015 07:21 AM
    It's most certainly a ridiculous example. You mean to tell me, you have 10 spare batteries around, charged up, ready to go, in case of a hurricane? I say, post a pic, or I call BS.
    03-03-2015 07:30 AM
    Wasting gasoline to charge a phone in your car is not a smart idea after a storm, a generator will help you out more, but you would mainly use that for other important things as well.
    Why are you wasting gas charging a phone? Just plug it into the car and go about your duties, the car doesn't have to be on. Some of these examples are so extreme it's hilarious. I've been through hurricanes and snow/ice storms and loss of power. There was always time to charge without having to have my face in that stupid device.
    slave likes this.
    03-03-2015 07:32 AM
    It's most certainly a ridiculous example. You mean to tell me, you have 10 spare batteries around, charged up, ready to go, in case of a hurricane? I say, post a pic, or I call BS.

Clearly we're dealing with some of the fringe on this board. It's getting ridiculous now. I might buy the Sammy out of spite at this point LOL.
    slave and mountainman like this.
    03-03-2015 07:33 AM
    No, you wouldn't rely on an extra battery or 17 of them to last you through a power outage. In most cases, you could take the spare batteries and charge them at work. An OEM battery, an extended battery, will especially help you and let you use the phone without being cautious.
    Why are you wasting gas charging a phone? Just plug it into the car and go about your duties, the car doesn't have to be on. Some of these examples are so extreme it's hilarious. I've been through hurricanes and snow/ice storms and loss of power. There was always time to charge without having to have my face in that stupid device.
    Because you don't wan't to risk slowly draining the battery on your car just to charge a phone. More important things to do, and you can simply charge it and the spare batteries at work.

But hey, enjoy the GS6 and the non replaceable battery if you like prefer not to have one.
    03-03-2015 07:34 AM
    Because you don't wan't to risk slowly draining the battery on your car just to charge a phone. More important things to do, and you can simply charge it and the spare batteries at work.

But hey, enjoy the GS6 and the non replaceable battery if you like prefer not to have one.
    It's gonna take a heck of a lot of battery charges to drain a car battery. And for us hardcore Floridians we have generators.

Get a good quality power bank and call it a day.
    Bishop_99 likes this.
    03-03-2015 07:52 AM
    Because you don't wan't to risk slowly draining the battery on your car just to charge a phone.
    A little phone won't even put a dent in a car battery.

Posted via the Android Central App
    qnet likes this.
    03-03-2015 07:52 AM
    Clearly we're dealing with some of the fringe on this board. It's getting ridiculous now. I might buy the Sammy out of spite at this point LOL.
    Yeah I'm thinking the same. I may wait to hear about an Active version is all.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.
    03-03-2015 07:54 AM
    It's good that we agree that your experience is different from others.

What is the percentage of users who aren't using the feature of having removable batteries as they should?.
    If i gave you a percentage right now without a resource would you believe it? I don't think so.

But you tell me how many people you see/know with removable battery mobile are utilizing this feature ?

From what i see (friends, family and work mate) none of them so far. Even better look at people with iphones and other android none removable back. None of them complain because they learned to live with it.

At the end, whether we like it or not. Samsung has lost a lot and these changes are here to stay.

Regards
    Yathani
    03-03-2015 08:14 AM
    Same here, none of my co workers can be bothered to take the phones out of the cases to change a battery. I am talking 100's of coworkers. Good friend works for Sprint, the spare battery and charger sales abysmal.
    Inders99 likes this.
    03-03-2015 08:16 AM
367 1234 ...