03-21-2015 12:46 AM
367 12345 ...
tools
    It's gonna take a heck of a lot of battery charges to drain a car battery. And for us hardcore Floridians we have generators.

Get a good quality power bank and call it a day.
    Very true, but I still I wouldn't wanna risk it or just leave the phone in the car until it charges. Plus a generator is much better . It's been a while since we last hit hard lol

But as far as the Note 4 goes, I'm good with the replaceable batteries and charging them at work. The power bank I have, I rather charge up the few items I have that benefit more from it.
    03-03-2015 08:18 AM
    I haven't had a removable battery in over two years. If given the choice would I want one? Sure - it's easier. I can go from 20% to 95% in a few minutes rather than 20% to 50% in 30 minutes. That being said, in the past two years, I've only had a phone go dead once. Like others have pointed out, you plan differently and use an external battery on occasion. Other item to note is most phones today, even ones with an average battery like my Moto X, can routinely go 16 hours or more away from charger, and still have 25% left. If I think I need more than that, I charge it for a half hour and things are fine. Trust me, your phone won't be going dead every other day if you don't have a swappable battery.
    slave likes this.
    03-03-2015 08:19 AM
    I mentioned this in another post, but for the battery life, I've gotten used to having a battery pack with me. The battery pack is more useful since I can use it charge many devices, even at the same time.
    For the SD card, my phones haven't had that for a long time so I've gotten used to it. Plus, I'm happy to see them offering it with a number of different storage options.
    03-03-2015 08:39 AM
    For all of these "Removable battery is a must!" people, are you all just going to stick with a note 4?

How long do your extra batteries last in your pocket? One guy said in a tropical storm, he could use batteries to get him by for a week..... Yeah right. How many spare batteries do you keep? 9? If the phone is your only electronic working, it will be a dead battery in 6 hours from constant and continuous use. You will need about 18 to make it a week with no charger. Disaster plan, this is not.

An external charger is too bulky but a pocket full of batteries is not? This is huge stretch here. For the guy who has no charger at work, so he comes home and pops in a new battery, then he can head back out right? Well, what are you doing on the train? Plug in that external charger. What if you drive? Plug in your phone. What do we non Samsung users do? Well, I dunno, we make it though.

20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?

You can't pop a hot battery????? Why is your battery hot? The only phone I ever had this issue with was my Epic, GS2 and GS3. Once I left Samsung, I never had this issue again. This is not a thing with the rest of the world. Your phone should never get so hot that you need to pop your battery out and run away before it explodes.

I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs. Once wewent Nexus and Moto X, this never happened again.

SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also.

Besides the above, where you all going to go? What will you do? What phones has SD card slots anymore? Note 4? Older LG phones? Chinese phones?
    I'm going to stick with a Note4 when the contract for my S5 runs out.

All of my music and movies are backed up to my clouds, my pcs, laptops, tablet and NAS drives. But I can't always connect to my clouds and I don't want to take all of that other hardware with me all the time so lots of storage on the phone is a must for me.

And Lollipop is eating up my battery faster than kit kat so I have even more need for a spare battery now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-03-2015 08:48 AM
    Of you think about it... There really isn't much different between swapping batteries when your battery is low, and charging to get 4 hours in 10 minutes... It almost makes removable batteries pointless because the phone charges quickly, and its less weight on u to carry a removable
    03-03-2015 09:01 AM
    Of you think about it... There really isn't much different between swapping batteries when your battery is low, and charging to get 4 hours in 10 minutes... It almost makes removable batteries pointless because the phone charges quickly, and its less weight on u to carry a removable
    If you can find a charging point that is. Can't on a plane and most trains. Also the battery is slimmer than a charger. And the wireless pads aren't too small either.

monsieurms likes this.
    03-03-2015 09:04 AM
    Double post
    03-03-2015 09:05 AM
    If you can find a charging point that is. Can't on a plane and most trains. Also the battery is slimmer than a charger. And the wireless pads aren't too small either.

You can use something like Anker power bank to do that without walls. Their new 6400 and 10000mAh ones are pretty sleek.
    unashamedgeek and smooth4lyfe like this.
    03-03-2015 09:10 AM
    I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs.
    I'm sorry but I think you're exagerating a bit much here. I'm not doubting you had 'issues' but to say that ALL of your devices had the same issue is pushing it!

I've never had any issues with my SD cards with ALL of my Samsung devices (Epic (S1), S2, S3)! Perhaps we all use them differently or some just don't know how to use them. Who knows. Also, last night, I came home and had to run back out for a night out with friends. My phone (LG G3) was down to 20% battery. I simply took out the battery and placed a freshly charged one to 100% in less than a minute and left the other charging. Nice to have that option!
    Bishop_99 likes this.
    03-03-2015 09:41 AM
    You can use something like Anker power bank to do that without walls. Their new 6400 and 10000mAh ones are pretty sleek.
    Yeah, but then they have to wait for it to charge because clearly they can't carry it anywhere with this battery attached, it's just too heavy to carry around additional power cells...oh, wait.

Guys, there isn't much sense arguing, these are simply excuses used to justify getting a phone with a removable battery, and should be treated as such. They're not problems to be solved, they're justifications invented to excuse a personal preference and disguise it as established fact.
    03-03-2015 09:42 AM
    I am not sure why I need a fast SD card. I use the extra storage in my phone for music, movies and audio books. I have zero interest in streaming media from the cloud. I don't see any point in carrying around a separate media player. I also don't want to spend data to pay to download material I already own from a cloud device while traveling.

I moved from the iPhone 4 years ago for a larger screen size, storage space for my media and for a removable battery. The important option to me is still the expanded storage. I can live without the removable battery. I do prefer a phone with 32GB of fast memory for applications. 16GBs get really tight on Android.

I realize my needs are not everyone's but I still believe the main reason the s4 outsold the m7 in 2013 was the support for microSD cards. I would have bought the m7 had the NA version not removed the SD card support. HTC realized this and added support back in the m8 and m9. Now that Samsung has decided to play the Apple game and is forcing users to pay through the nose for extra storage it will be interesting to see how well the s6 sells. I do know I will not be upgrading to a s6.

Personally I don't see what is really all that great in the s6 that will not be available on other flagship phones. I have been willing to put up with junk from Samsung - tons of bloat, Knox, and the need to remove Touchwiz (has to be the worst part of Samsung) to have some of the features I prefer from on my phones. Now Samsung has added even more completely useless apps on the s6 and removed the reasons I purchased their phones. Moving on from Samsung is a pretty easy choice for me.
    03-03-2015 09:44 AM
    +1 million
    Excellent and concise about the Note 4 and "journalist" groups. Bottom line if you don't use many of the Note 4 feature like, optional extra battery, S-Pen, SD card etc you probably bought the wrong product. I hope Samsung keeps the Note line separate from the consumer S6 line.

03-03-2015 10:28 AM
    I can understand why Samsung now have a non removable battery. It's because of all those who moaned about the build quality of their devices being rubbish. They had no choice but to make a unibody metal device with a sealed in battery. I personally never had a problem with the way their devices looked, I preferred to have a removable back and replacable battery. I used to carry around a spare and I never had to worry about the battery dying. Now I wouldn't be that confident unless the battery life is good. I have an iPhone 6 plus. The only reason why I don't care that it doesn't have a removable battery is because it has great battery life. If it didn't then I wouldn't have bought it. I wouldn't have bought the iPhone 6 because the battery life is rubbish and the battery can't be removed. So I'm hoping that S6 has good battery life, at least as good as the S5.

The SD card is less of an issue for me because they are offering 128GB of onboard storage. Onboard storage is always better than external storage imo. I've had SD cards fail on me in the past. I've never experienced this myself but I know for some people they have caused performance issues. Additionally, not everything can be stored on an SD card, like certain apps. When I had my S5, I had a 128GB micro SD card installed yet I was always running out of memory because I didn't have enough space for my apps. Also SD cards represent a security risk. Unless you encrypt them, or password protect it, if you device is lost or stolen people have access to all the stuff on your SD card. Your device itself maybe protected by a password, but there is nothing stopping someone from popping out the SD card and getting a look at all your information.

It's a shame. It will be interesting to see if LG do away with the removable battery and SD card on the G4. I think SD cards and removable batteries will become a thing of the past. I wouldn't buy the G4 as I didn't like the G3 when I had one. I also found it hard to buy accessories for it.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-03-2015 11:01 AM
    I agree with all the negative points of an sd card. I won't use one again.
    It's just we're in this short era where OEM's want to make a killing on double or triple memory storage. It cost them about $10 dollars extra for 64gb a year ago. If no phone had sd cards, maybe they would have to make 128 gb devices more realistically priced.
    03-03-2015 11:22 AM
    I've seen it in other forums already Samsung is hiring people to talk down sd cards, removable batteries and of course advertise the marketing gimmick known as Ufs..

I'm not saying everyone who doesn't care is a Samsung employee but I'm surprised that the company had sunken down to that level. What's next stupid fans jumping and screaming during the presentation?

If Samsung screws up the Note line too the Note 4 will be my last Samsung and I'd go project Ara or LG or hope Samsung is coming to their senses and releases a "pro" model instead of a sealed toy

I've been willing to put up and put in a ton of work to debloated my lovely Note 4 only because I love that productivity beast and the removable battery is an essential part of productivity for me. In terms of smaller phones there is no reason to choose a non expendable fingerprint magnet ..What's next removing the LED?

But there is hope maybe the s6 Active will bring back Samsung down to earth...I mean it's their outdoor bulldozer so it needs to have a removable battery and sd card support
    Bishop_99 and KJ78 like this.
    03-03-2015 11:34 AM
    I've seen it in other forums already Samsung is hiring people to talk down sd cards, removable batteries and of course advertise the marketing gimmick known as Ufs..
    Ok, I think you're going to have to explain that last part, how exactly is UFS a marketing gimmick over eMMC and MicroSD storage? Especially when most benchmarks are showing a drastic improvement in storage performance on the GS6 over everyone else.

Remember, HTC probably is hiring people to talk down removing SD slots and using glass. Of course, with their budget, they can't really hire many people...
    03-03-2015 11:43 AM
    Ok, I think you're going to have to explain that last part, how exactly is UFS a marketing gimmick over eMMC and MicroSD storage? Especially when most benchmarks are showing a drastic improvement in storage performance on the GS6 over everyone else.

Remember, HTC probably is hiring people to talk down removing SD slots and using glass. Of course, with their budget, they can't really hire many people...
    Because one isn't exclusive to each other. Yes, UFS may win every possible benchmark test out there good and nice but guess what my sd cards are used for music, videos and pictures I don't need benchmarks for that stuff because I know from real life experience that my carss are more than capable enough.

100 $ gets me two first class 128gb cards that alone is two times the storage capacity of the ISung 6 top model.

Let me use the desktop as an example here: people are buying ssds for their speed but they are only putting the operating system and some heavily used programs on it because normal hdds are offering more storage for the same price and a better reliability. It's not a matter of ufs versus emmc it's a matter of principles and user friendliness.

Htc, LG really don't need to hire anybody I'm not a PR guy but even I could make that campaign "Latest Ufs technology plus up to 200 emmc only with...others thought you can't well...WE can" you get the idea.
    03-03-2015 12:20 PM
    Yeah, but then they have to wait for it to charge because clearly they can't carry it anywhere with this battery attached, it's just too heavy to carry around additional power cells...oh, wait.

Guys, there isn't much sense arguing, these are simply excuses used to justify getting a phone with a removable battery, and should be treated as such. They're not problems to be solved, they're justifications invented to excuse a personal preference and disguise it as established fact.
    Its not even an excuse really, I think its more of a personal preference. I used to be a person that was so "pro-removable battery", but when I had my S5, I wasnt even changing my batteries as often. Now that I have a Z3, which has no removable battery, I don't even think about battery because the phone lasts long. I charge my battery every night before I sleep anyways and it lasts me through the day. So long as the S6 does the same I will be happy.
    03-03-2015 12:34 PM

Exactly. I often take a train into a city, spend hours there, using gps, camera, various other apps, usually a call and some texts too. After a few hours a normal battery is running too low for comfort.
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-03-2015 12:49 PM
    The removable battery wasn't a big deal for me. It's come in handy with my S5 after upgrading to Android 5.0.0 as I was able to take the factor battery out and install a 7500 mAh one (I had to) so that my phone can now get through a work day. Having a non-removable battery was never a big issue for me. I sometimes take advantage of it like I am with my S5 or I did with my Droid X but it's not something that I absolutely require.

The SD card is though and I see no value in taking that out. Right now I have 7349 songs on my S5, over 2500 photos, and a couple of movies. My 128GB microSDXC card has 10GB of free space and I'll be looking to buy the 200GB microSDXC card later this year or early next year when it drops to $150. All of my content is backed up to the cloud (music through Google Music All Access and Photos through my One Drive account) but I would never want to rely solely on the cloud as a means of media consumption. I'm not always in an area with solid reception and I would be chewing through my data pulling up pictures for people to look at or playing songs (I listen to about 4 hours of music a day). A phone with a fixed capacity means to 200GB microSDXC card and it also means that I would have to spend an arm and a leg (probably $34 a month through Edge) just to get a smartphone with 128GB of storage.

Sure, the built-in storage is faster and more reliable but SD cards are perfectly adequate for storing and playing media. Using only built-in storage, for me, is just not an option. I did that for two years with my 64GB iPhone 5 and it was awful. I had to sync content off and onto my phone at least once a week, I was always running out of space and deleting apps, I was constantly restoring my phone to get rid of excess data (though that's more of an iOS bug), etc. I refuse to ever do that again. It's why I haven't purchased a Nexus device, a modern Motorola phone, another iPhone, and it's why I am going to stay away from the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.

I realize that I'm in a small niche of smartphone users compared to the mainstream consumers but, if I'm going to be paying ~$40 a month extra for my phone, it damn well better do everything I want.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    03-03-2015 12:50 PM
    Its not even an excuse really, I think its more of a personal preference. I used to be a person that was so "pro-removable battery", but when I had my S5, I wasnt even changing my batteries as often. Now that I have a Z3, which has no removable battery, I don't even think about battery because the phone lasts long. I charge my battery every night before I sleep anyways and it lasts me through the day. So long as the S6 does the same I will be happy.
    This ^. Phones today are not like the Droid Incredible or the Thunderbolt or the GNex where you couldn't go more than 6-8 hours from a charger. God forbid you were playing a round of golf and using a GPS - you'd need to swap a battery at the turn with one of those phones. Most days I unplug my phone at 5:30 when I get up and plug it back in at 10 when I go to bed, and don't do anything in between. I have a Jackery power bar - the 5600 (good enough essentially for three full charges assuming I'm fairly low) and its maybe the size of two cigarette lighters. Is it as convenient as a changing a battery? No. But honestly I go weeks without using it and I just carry it in my computer bag with everything else.

Bigger picture on phones these days, if manufacturers are going to abandon the user-removable battery I wish they'd stop trying to make the phones as thin as possible. Make them 1 or 2mm thicker and give me a battery that has 30% - 50% more capacity so I never have to worry about it, even under heavy use and when the phone is a year old.
    smooth4lyfe and mrsmumbles like this.
    03-03-2015 12:54 PM
    I could see how some will miss it if they put a ton of shows and stuff on their cards since they may not have unlimited data.

I will miss the removable battery as a 30 sec swap to full is nice .. but .. you can go by other means to charge (such as a battery pack).
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-03-2015 12:58 PM
    I think the paid posters are in the S6 forum. I made some comments re: the additional costs of owning a seal battery device and no sd card and my comments were flagged and dismissed, the same comments that are rampant in the S5 forum.
    03-03-2015 01:12 PM
    I talked down sd cards voluntarily, am I due some money?

03-03-2015 01:20 PM
    It all depends on the user. I used to be in the removable battery and micro SD card camp as well. After having purchased a 64GB card for my GS4, it is hardly full. I got mainly because I got 16GB model on the two year contract. I am planning on getting the 64GB GS6 so I don't think I will miss the additional storage. Of all the smartphones that I have owned, BlackBerry and now Samsung, I have never had a need to swap out batteries. Never been a wall-plugger. Always charge at night and sometimes in the car. As long as the GS6 battery lasts all day, I am fine. Otherwise, I would get a Juice Pack case for those times when battery charging opportunities are limited.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    smooth4lyfe and Inders99 like this.
    03-03-2015 01:36 PM
367 12345 ...