Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
You HAVE heard of Mophie and Amzer and the like? External battery "tanks" that you plug your phone into to charge? Some of them hold 3 or more full recharges. Plus, in a power outage, you can keep a UPS around to charge off of (I keep one for my A/V stack anyway). There's also your car charger. Sorry but that justification for a removable battery is awfully convoluted. Where there's a will, there's a way. Where there isn't a will, there's a set of excuses.

The ONLY valid complaint I've seen regarding the battery is what to do when it wears out. It would be nice if Samsung mentioned how difficult (or impossible) it might be to replace. But I'm betting it lasts two years, and right now most people don't hang on to phones longer than that.
Yes, and you can use that to charge the phone, but then you have to be waiting for the phone to charge up instead of replacing a battery and being at 100%. Eventually, that has to be charged as well. Wasting gasoline to charge a phone in your car is not a smart idea after a storm, a generator will help you out more, but you would mainly use that for other important things as well.

If there is a tropical storm, like in his example, then you couldn't go to work to charge it. It's a ridiculous example.
Trust me, it is not a ridiculous example. I've been through a few Tropical Storms and Hurricanes to know a thing or two. Hurricane Wilma rolled through, my home didn't have power for 2 weeks, but guess what, you still have to go to work. Unless it's a completely devastating Hurricane like Andrew or Katrina, which naturally everything is devastated and you can't go anywhere. But if it isn't, you still have to go to work, a Tropical Storm or a weak Hurricane will not bring the city to a stand still. Workers first repair power to the areas of more importance like hospitals and government offices, then they continue to work on restoring power to the neighborhoods.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It's most certainly a ridiculous example. You mean to tell me, you have 10 spare batteries around, charged up, ready to go, in case of a hurricane? I say, post a pic, or I call BS.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Wasting gasoline to charge a phone in your car is not a smart idea after a storm, a generator will help you out more, but you would mainly use that for other important things as well.

Why are you wasting gas charging a phone? Just plug it into the car and go about your duties, the car doesn't have to be on. Some of these examples are so extreme it's hilarious. I've been through hurricanes and snow/ice storms and loss of power. There was always time to charge without having to have my face in that stupid device.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's most certainly a ridiculous example. You mean to tell me, you have 10 spare batteries around, charged up, ready to go, in case of a hurricane? I say, post a pic, or I call BS.

Clearly we're dealing with some of the fringe on this board. It's getting ridiculous now. I might buy the Sammy out of spite at this point LOL.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

No, you wouldn't rely on an extra battery or 17 of them to last you through a power outage. In most cases, you could take the spare batteries and charge them at work. An OEM battery, an extended battery, will especially help you and let you use the phone without being cautious.

Why are you wasting gas charging a phone? Just plug it into the car and go about your duties, the car doesn't have to be on. Some of these examples are so extreme it's hilarious. I've been through hurricanes and snow/ice storms and loss of power. There was always time to charge without having to have my face in that stupid device.
Because you don't wan't to risk slowly draining the battery on your car just to charge a phone. More important things to do, and you can simply charge it and the spare batteries at work.

But hey, enjoy the GS6 and the non replaceable battery if you like prefer not to have one.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Because you don't wan't to risk slowly draining the battery on your car just to charge a phone. More important things to do, and you can simply charge it and the spare batteries at work.

But hey, enjoy the GS6 and the non replaceable battery if you like prefer not to have one.

It's gonna take a heck of a lot of battery charges to drain a car battery. And for us hardcore Floridians we have generators. :D

Get a good quality power bank and call it a day.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Clearly we're dealing with some of the fringe on this board. It's getting ridiculous now. I might buy the Sammy out of spite at this point LOL.
Yeah I'm thinking the same. I may wait to hear about an Active version is all.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's good that we agree that your experience is different from others.

What is the percentage of users who aren't using the feature of having removable batteries as they should?.
If i gave you a percentage right now without a resource would you believe it? I don't think so.

But you tell me how many people you see/know with removable battery mobile are utilizing this feature ?

From what i see (friends, family and work mate) none of them so far. Even better look at people with iphones and other android none removable back. None of them complain because they learned to live with it.

At the end, whether we like it or not. Samsung has lost a lot and these changes are here to stay.

Regards
Yathani

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Same here, none of my co workers can be bothered to take the phones out of the cases to change a battery. I am talking 100's of coworkers. Good friend works for Sprint, the spare battery and charger sales abysmal.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
It's gonna take a heck of a lot of battery charges to drain a car battery. And for us hardcore Floridians we have generators. :D

Get a good quality power bank and call it a day.
Very true, but I still I wouldn't wanna risk it or just leave the phone in the car until it charges. Plus a generator is much better :D. It's been a while since we last hit hard lol

But as far as the Note 4 goes, I'm good with the replaceable batteries and charging them at work. The power bank I have, I rather charge up the few items I have that benefit more from it.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a removable battery in over two years. If given the choice would I want one? Sure - it's easier. I can go from 20% to 95% in a few minutes rather than 20% to 50% in 30 minutes. That being said, in the past two years, I've only had a phone go dead once. Like others have pointed out, you plan differently and use an external battery on occasion. Other item to note is most phones today, even ones with an average battery like my Moto X, can routinely go 16 hours or more away from charger, and still have 25% left. If I think I need more than that, I charge it for a half hour and things are fine. Trust me, your phone won't be going dead every other day if you don't have a swappable battery.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in another post, but for the battery life, I've gotten used to having a battery pack with me. The battery pack is more useful since I can use it charge many devices, even at the same time.
For the SD card, my phones haven't had that for a long time so I've gotten used to it. Plus, I'm happy to see them offering it with a number of different storage options.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
For all of these "Removable battery is a must!" people, are you all just going to stick with a note 4?

How long do your extra batteries last in your pocket? One guy said in a tropical storm, he could use batteries to get him by for a week..... Yeah right. How many spare batteries do you keep? 9? If the phone is your only electronic working, it will be a dead battery in 6 hours from constant and continuous use. You will need about 18 to make it a week with no charger. Disaster plan, this is not.

An external charger is too bulky but a pocket full of batteries is not? This is huge stretch here. For the guy who has no charger at work, so he comes home and pops in a new battery, then he can head back out right? Well, what are you doing on the train? Plug in that external charger. What if you drive? Plug in your phone. What do we non Samsung users do? Well, I dunno, we make it though.

20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?

You can't pop a hot battery????? Why is your battery hot? The only phone I ever had this issue with was my Epic, GS2 and GS3. Once I left Samsung, I never had this issue again. This is not a thing with the rest of the world. Your phone should never get so hot that you need to pop your battery out and run away before it explodes.

I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs. Once wewent Nexus and Moto X, this never happened again.

SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also.

Besides the above, where you all going to go? What will you do? What phones has SD card slots anymore? Note 4? Older LG phones? Chinese phones?

I'm going to stick with a Note4 when the contract for my S5 runs out.

All of my music and movies are backed up to my clouds, my pcs, laptops, tablet and NAS drives. But I can't always connect to my clouds and I don't want to take all of that other hardware with me all the time so lots of storage on the phone is a must for me.

And Lollipop is eating up my battery faster than kit kat so I have even more need for a spare battery now.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Of you think about it... There really isn't much different between swapping batteries when your battery is low, and charging to get 4 hours in 10 minutes... It almost makes removable batteries pointless because the phone charges quickly, and its less weight on u to carry a removable

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Of you think about it... There really isn't much different between swapping batteries when your battery is low, and charging to get 4 hours in 10 minutes... It almost makes removable batteries pointless because the phone charges quickly, and its less weight on u to carry a removable

If you can find a charging point that is. Can't on a plane and most trains. Also the battery is slimmer than a charger. And the wireless pads aren't too small either.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you can find a charging point that is. Can't on a plane and most trains. Also the battery is slimmer than a charger. And the wireless pads aren't too small either.

You can use something like Anker power bank to do that without walls. Their new 6400 and 10000mAh ones are pretty sleek.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs.

I'm sorry but I think you're exagerating a bit much here. I'm not doubting you had 'issues' but to say that ALL of your devices had the same issue is pushing it!

I've never had any issues with my SD cards with ALL of my Samsung devices (Epic (S1), S2, S3)! Perhaps we all use them differently or some just don't know how to use them. Who knows. Also, last night, I came home and had to run back out for a night out with friends. My phone (LG G3) was down to 20% battery. I simply took out the battery and placed a freshly charged one to 100% in less than a minute and left the other charging. Nice to have that option! :)

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You can use something like Anker power bank to do that without walls. Their new 6400 and 10000mAh ones are pretty sleek.

Yeah, but then they have to wait for it to charge because clearly they can't carry it anywhere with this battery attached, it's just too heavy to carry around additional power cells...oh, wait. :)

Guys, there isn't much sense arguing, these are simply excuses used to justify getting a phone with a removable battery, and should be treated as such. They're not problems to be solved, they're justifications invented to excuse a personal preference and disguise it as established fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.