Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Old, rehashed argument. Bottom line: if I have a choice, I won't buy anything if it lacks an SD card and a removable battery. If Sammy goes this way, I'm now in play as a customer whereas before I was locked in.

There are so many reasons why this is helpful. Let's just start with one. I flip my 128gb SD card from one device to another. Ta-da. Done. I don't have to reset up such massive amounts of files every I switch phones. And is transferring files to a phone over USB going to be as fast? I also don't have to keep buying the same space on phones--and a 128gb phone is notably more expensive than 32gb--every I upgrade phones. It's sort of a scam. It's not like we actually buy phones for 10 years. Most people trade in every 2 years, many every year or so. You keep buying pricey space and throwing it away with every upgrade. The SD card is yours forever. Pop it into the new phone. Done. One day, no doubt, it will die. But that may be over several phones. I've never had one fail. I am more likely to upgrade the card as sizes increase than throw it away as failed.

I would add that given the amount of space that things like movies, music libraries and what not use, there is never an amount of space you can name that I would call too much. 128gb isn't enough for me. Give me a 128gb device and 128gb card---I have uses for that right now. I can go on a month long trip with an EXTRA sd card containing movies to watch. Flip it in. Just because someone doesn't need that much space, doesn't mean NO ONE does. My 128gb card is almost full now. I still can't fit my classical music library on it.

Removable batteries are also so ridiculously easy --far more so than carrying battery packs--that I'd be dismayed to lose them. I can't believe anyone has to actually justify wanting removable batteries. I travel a lot. I'm on the go a lot. Sometimes battery packs ARE more convenient. But not always. You can't always have it hooked into a battery pack and things like GPS navigation, ebooks with the screen all the time, eat up the battery quickly. If I'm home, it doesn't matter so much. I rarely flip batteries at home. I'm always near a charger. But I'm not home all the time. That isn't a rationalization. It is just a description that is indeed a fact: removable batteries have saved me many times.

Samsung has / had a serious leg up on competitors by continuing to support these things. If it stops, then I'm in play as a customer. Those are my two #1 and 1A demands.

It's just a matter of choice. Does everyone have the same needs I do? Of course not. Does that mean my needs don't matter? That's why it is about free choice. You buy the phone that works for you. That's what the Android world is supposed to bring to the table.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Clean Master is incorporated into the GS6...good move as I use the actual app and love it
Naw. If it hasn't hurt you, that's fine.
But I agree ten fold with this blog.
On a device we want to be saving battery and performance, Clean Master (and Battery Doctor it pushes) should not be there.

More reason to think they are after iPhone users terrified of Android.

----

Some of Samsung's Galaxy S6 software sends a mixed message about performance http://www.androidcentral.com/some-samsungs-galaxy-s6-software-sends-mixed-message-about-performance

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
LMAO!!!

I find it hilarious how suddenly you're AGAINST MicroSD and removable batteries but that's all you Samsung fanboys talked about and mocked other users with for years. How about you all have a nice cup of STFU.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
LMAO!!!

I find it hilarious how suddenly you're AGAINST MicroSD and removable batteries but that's all you Samsung fanboys talked about and mocked other users with for years.

I left out the part that will inevitably be moderated. There's a difference between being opposed to something and not caring one way or the other. It looks like most people don't actually care one way or the other, and it's a very vocal minority that find removable batteries and SD cards a requirement (and likewise a small number "opposed" to them as you call it).

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I left out the part that will inevitably be moderated. There's a difference between being opposed to something and not caring one way or the other. It looks like most people don't actually care one way or the other, and it's a very vocal minority that find removable batteries and SD cards a requirement (and likewise a small number "opposed" to them as you call it).

Well in the poll on the front page the majority of core users (us) clearly care.

No 41.03% (1,413 votes)

Yes 33.01% (1,137 votes)

No SD card, no buy 25.96% (894 votes)

So that's nearly 60% of users who consider having a removable battery and MicroSD card important. I know not everyone uses it. I just think it's utterly STUPID of Samsumg, a company that huge with so much scale, to at least not even consider giving their consumers the option. I'm due for an upgrade and the Galaxy S6 just got crossed off my list. Looks like I'll be going with something from LG, Sony or Moto when the time is right.

I picked Android to have options. Not live in a 'walled garden' Apple-style. **** that noise.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well in the poll on the front page the majority of core users (us) clearly care.

No 41.03% (1,413 votes)

Yes 33.01% (1,137 votes)

No SD card, no buy 25.96% (894 votes)

So that's nearly 60% of users who consider having a removable battery and MicroSD card important. I know not everyone uses it. I just think it's utterly STUPID of Samsumg, a company that huge with so much scale, to at least not even consider giving their consumers the option. I'm due for an upgrade and the Galaxy S6 just got crossed off my list. Looks like I'll be going with something from LG, Sony or Moto when the time is right.

I picked Android to have options. Not live in a 'walled garden' Apple-style. **** that noise.

No, that's a completely unscientific poll of enthusiasts (and also easy enough to spoof), not at all a complete survey of "users" as you put it. You might want to refer to the less-than-successful Galaxy S5, which DID have the options you specify but didn't do so well. That's because that's not what the consumer wants. Samsung's been behind the market on this when you look at it, and they paid for it last year based on sales figures. It was inevitable that they'd go this route, they're playing a little catch-up.

You'll also notice that Apple has become more modular in response to Android. That's the way markets work. They're not static. Static companies tend to die. THAT would be stupid. But you're welcome to go buy a Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Note4 if you still want a removable back and SD slot. Those have them, and they're not going anywhere quickly. So I guess you still have options don't you?

BTW Motos generally don't have microSD slots, and neither Moto nor Sony has removable batteries in their flagships. LG had both in the G3 but neither in the G2, so that one's a toss-up.

Good luck to you.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
LMAO!!!

I find it hilarious how suddenly you're AGAINST MicroSD and removable batteries but that's all you Samsung fanboys talked about and mocked other users with for years. How about you all have a nice cup of STFU.
Many of 'us' are capable enough to evaluate if we can adapt to the possible long term trend by Samsung (and Google) to ditch sd cards and removable batteries for future models.
Many have high needs or made investments in peripheral storage and power sources.
This thread is helping evaluate the downsides to any setup, and made some realize they can adapt, easily or painfully.

For myself, my main concern - which Samsung pulled the safety net on - is the inability to pull the battery quickly in a water dunk or screen freeze situation.

We will have to look at how the 'other half' have lived all this time.
For most though, we still have a year or two if we decide to keep what we have.

Samsung also may decide to do a u-turn for the Note 5 and S7 / S6 active?

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but I think you're exagerating a bit much here. I'm not doubting you had 'issues' but to say that ALL of your devices had the same issue is pushing it!

I've never had any issues with my SD cards with ALL of my Samsung devices (Epic (S1), S2, S3)! Perhaps we all use them differently or some just don't know how to use them. Who knows. Also, last night, I came home and had to run back out for a night out with friends. My phone (LG G3) was down to 20% battery. I simply took out the battery and placed a freshly charged one to 100% in less than a minute and left the other charging. Nice to have that option! :)

I wish you were correct, but, you are not. All of our phones had the issue. I went to these very forums and talked about it, and tried to get a proper fix.

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Coming from iPhones, starting with the 3 and ending with the 5, expandable memory and removable battery were the deciding factor when changing to andriod. Everyone of the iPhones batteries were useless at about the year mark. I do carry a spare battery with me everyday and change it out almost on a daily basses. Now the changing it everyday was not the reason I wanted a removable battery it was the fact that I no longer had to worry about the battery not lasting the life of the phone. Battery starts crapping out go buy a new one and bam phone is usable again.

I really do like what samsung did with the s6 and totally understand that the plastic back doesn't scream quality. Prior to changing I alway thought they felt cheap.

Since my note 4 is still new I'm not going to be upgrading for a year or more but really hope they don't go the same route with the Note line as now knowing how great it is to have a removable battery i don't think I can go back to not having it.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
For myself, my main concern - which Samsung pulled the safety net on - is the inability to pull the battery quickly in a water dunk or screen freeze situation.

Regarding the screen freeze, all phones have a way to simulate a battery pull, usually some combination of a long hold if the power key and one of the volume keys.

Geir Friis

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
it's Android, so, you can simply copy and paste all your personal data into your personal storage.
In addition, the Galaxy S6 models include two FREE years of 115GB Microsoft OneDrive storage.

Would you please describe how you " simply copy and paste all your personal data into your personal storage."

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If i gave you a percentage right now without a resource would you believe it? I don't think so.

I think it's reasonable for anyone to not believe a claim when no concrete data has been presented.

With respect to removable batteries, I believe the ideal solution is to offer both options. You can have a version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 with a sealed battery and no micro SD card slot, and you can have another version with a removable battery and a micro SD card slot.

In such a situation, you can satisfy all customers.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think it's reasonable for anyone to not believe a claim when no concrete data has been presented.

With respect to removable batteries, I believe the ideal solution is to offer both options. You can have a version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 with a sealed battery and no micro SD card slot, and you can have another version with a removable battery and a micro SD card slot.

In such a situation, you can satisfy all customers.
I Just read on Sammobile.com That They will offer two Sim card Galaxy s6. I think they might offer removable back and SD with Galaxy s6 Active.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I kind of have a hybrid opinion... Personally, I have no need for either SD cards or removable batteries. I've had phones with both, and phones that lacked both.... I never bought spare batteries. The only device that I switched out a battery on was a Nexus 7 2012, which technically did not have a 'user-removable' battery, but was almost as easy to swap out as one. I use T-Mobile's JUMP (the 2x/year original version), so there isn't much chance that I'd own a phone long enough to run into any kind of long term battery degradation. In those cases, sure... having a user-replaceable battery makes the swap easy... but just because the battery isn't easily swapped doesn't mean it can't be. Some phones are harder than others, but if you need a battery swapped, pretty much every phone can be fixed... might require having it done by a pro, but the option is there at least.

The phones with SD card slots? I only used one with my Galaxy S3, but I had a card go bad and I lost everything on it. Luckily, most everything there was backed up, but when I pulled that card and chucked it in the bin, it was the last one I ever used in a phone. When I got a 32GB LG G3, the slot remained empty and I never felt the need to use it. Why? Well, I have good coverage and utilize cloud storage. Everything I have that takes up space is cloud accessible... my music library is in Google Play Music, my pictures and videos are backed up to Google.... I don't really need to store any of that on my phone's storage.

Now, that might not work for everyone, of course.... As the saying goes; YMMV.... there are plenty of users out there that rely on removable storage and replaceable batteries... and I can see their frustrations as the industry moves away from using them. As internal storage increases and cloud services improve, a lack of expandable storage will not be as big a problem. And as I mentioned before, batteries can be replaced. Maybe not as easy and convenient as one would like, but they can.

Time (and technology) moves on. And when things gain traction, it is best to adapt and accept. I mean, there are plenty of people here that wax nostalgically about physical keyboards on phones, but they are now as anachronistic looking as rotary telephones at this point.... We transitioned there, I think we can transition here... and we will have to. SDs and removable batteries require considerable R&D effort and design compromises and it is clear that OEMs want them gone. The S6 dropping both seems to me to be the real signal that the two technologies are officially dead tech walking (and what are the odds now that the Note 5 won't follow suit?).

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
To me it's definitely a deal breaker. I had a choice between the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4 and took the S4 even though I would have preferred stock Android over TouchWiz just because the Nexus had only 16 GB and no expandable memory slot. I'm almost at the limit of my 32 GB on my SD card and don't have the money to pay for streaming (nor do I see a use in it given I can have all my music on my SD card which is always with me anyway). Even Google understood this as the Nexus 6 has an expandable memory slot. I don't understand that move from Samsung.

Furthermore, for someone who loves to tinker with the phone and do a lot of factory resets accordingly, it's nice to not have to backup your data everytime given it's already on a seperate storage. It's a bit like my computer has a partition for the system and software and one partition for the data. It gives me more freedom to just do what I want with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
someguyredeye