Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Really? I was told by the salesman that it did and didn't check... but then again that guy didn't seem to know everything he should have known as a salesman so I'm not surprised.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Really? I was told by the salesman that it did and didn't check... but then again that guy didn't seem to know everything he should have known as a salesman so I'm not surprised.

That's why I always check online before I end up going into the store to purchase a phone. I want to know just as much if not more than the sales person that I'm dealing with in some of these stores. There are some in my area that don't feel like they are being paid enough to learn all that they can about these phones so that they know just what they're selling to their customers. Personally, I find it fun to learn all about the phones that are out on the market but then again I'm a tech geek.

I didn't know if I would like the fact that my Moto X Developer Edition didn't have a removable battery or an SD card slot when I got it but you know what, I really don't miss either thing at all. When I had my Samsung Galaxy S3, I had two extra batteries plus a charged up power pack in case I needed it when I was out and about because it seemed to gulp battery charge (especially when I was either at work or at the local high school basketball game). I normally would have to change out batteries once during the basketball games. When I went to a basketball game at the local high school on Friday with my Moto X, my phone's battery had a charge of over 90% (don't remember exact number) to start with and when I got home from the game, I had a charge of 74% or 75%. Love how this phone sips battery usage. I hope that it the same for whoever decides to get the Samsung Galaxy S6.

Just putting in my two cents here. Take it for what it's worth.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 6 doesn't have expandable storage FWIW.
One of the few that doesn't, them and Motorola. HTC Added SD Crd support to the M8 and M9, after releasing the M7 without one. LG did the same, no SD Card option on the G2, but they added it to the G3. Sony's Xperia Z3 also has an SD Card slot. Now Samsung took out that option for their first GS6. I guess we'll see what happens with the Note 5.

At least the options are there to choose other phones if that is something you want. Choice is always a good thing.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to add my two cents... I don't believe it's ever a good thing to take away choice. To continue to do so makes Android OEM's more and more like Apple. :( But apparently this is what Samsung feels they must do with their flagship device in order to compete with them. This doesn't concern me directly as I've never been interested in their S series. But it does concern me for the future of the Note line which has always had SD cards and user-replaceable batteries. While I can live without an SD card (even though it's a nice option to have), I absolutely refuse to accept a sealed/embedded battery! It forces you to have to plug the phone into a charging source instead of being able to swap out a battery on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something I find invaluable!). Also as someone who typically keeps my phones for years (still have a Note 2), I refuse to accept the built-in obsolescence of a sealed/embedded battery. Ultimately, time will tell regarding the Note line, but should Samsung drop user-replaceable batteries in them I'll just be forced to keep my Note 4 indefinitely.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
r, and it's a very vocal minority that find removable batteries and SD cards a requirement (and likewise a small number "opposed" to them as you call it).

I'm not sure how minor that vocal minority is, but in an increasingly competitive marketplace, losing even 15% of your customers is a really big deal. It's the difference between a successful launch and a bad one.

Customer loyalty is the best thing any company ever has going for it. Once you breach it, there is no going back. Making sure a large number of your customers start experimenting with other phones is, to put it mildly, self-destructive.

I can prove this rather easily. I used to be an HTC guy. Then they ditched removable batteries and cards. I ditched them and went to Samsung. I decided I liked Sammie better, too. I haven't even looked at an HTC model since, even though at the time I had one I had no particular urge to change ecosystems.

Somebody will always look to gain a competitive advantage. If Sammie doesn't offer it, someone will. Next phone upgrade, if the Note series doesn't have it, I'm looking for alternatives.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how minor that vocal minority is, but in an increasingly competitive marketplace, losing even 15% of your customers is a really big deal. It's the difference between a successful launch and a bad one.

Customer loyalty is the best thing any company ever has going for it. Once you breach it, there is no going back. Making sure a large number of your customers start experimenting with other phones is, to put it mildly, self-destructive.

I can prove this rather easily. I used to be an HTC guy. Then they ditched removable batteries and cards. I ditched them and went to Samsung. I decided I liked Sammie better, too. I haven't even looked at an HTC model since, even though at the time I had one I had no particular urge to change ecosystems.

Somebody will always look to gain a competitive advantage. If Sammie doesn't offer it, someone will. Next phone upgrade, if the Note series doesn't have it, I'm looking for alternatives.

You're assuming they're going to net lose customers over this. I'm thinking they're going to gain more than they lose. As well as giving their flagship a proper flagship reputation due to flagship construction. They can always continue to bundle eMMC and SD and removable batteries on cheaper models after all, Samsung isn't a one-trick-pony like Apple is.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You're assuming they're going to net lose customers over this. I'm thinking they're going to gain more than they lose. As well as giving their flagship a proper flagship reputation due to flagship construction. They can always continue to bundle eMMC and SD and removable batteries on cheaper models after all, Samsung isn't a one-trick-pony like Apple is.

They're going to GAIN customers by taking features away? The argument that they might not lose many--I don't agree. But I can see the logic there. But I fail to see how they gain customers by taking away useful features. "Oh, wow, Dad! It's a crippled phone! NOW we've GOT to buy it!" ;)

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They're going to GAIN customers by taking features away? The argument that they might not lose many--I don't agree. But I can see the logic there. But I fail to see how they gain customers by taking away useful features. "Oh, wow, Dad! It's a crippled phone! NOW we've GOT to buy it!" ;)

Yes, they're going to "gain customers by taking features away." Because the customer doesn't see it that way. They added a lot more than they subtracted here. Remember, metal and glass premium construction is a "feature." TouchID is a "feature." MST is a "feature." Wireless charging is a "feature." Faster storage is a "feature."

While removable batteries and removable storage are also "features" the question remains as to how many potential customers care about those particular features versus the features Samsung added. The readers of AndroidCentral are not a representative sample of that block of potential customers, we're a bunch of enthusiasts who treat our phones very differently than Joe Enduser. Joe is more likely to stick a Mophie Juicepack on, upload his files to Google Photos and Drive, and call it a day, instead of grabbing military surplus web gear and loading it up with spare batteries and microSD cards.

Given the sales of the iPhone6, the One M8, Motorola's wood or leather backed X, and Sony's Xperia line, premium construction does seem to be gaining in popularity though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Honestly you guys are arguing over nothing -- NO one knows how it will work out. Will they lose SOME customers? Of course we can assume that .. but to lose a ton? Maybe they will .. maybe they won't .. but we can't really know.

Example for me .. Do I like a removable battery? For sure --- Without it ... will that cause me to not buy a product? No.

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
... Good friend works for Sprint, the spare battery and charger sales abysmal.

hahahah come on man, you know how much sprint upcharges their accessories. buying retail from them is for suckers and you know it; aint no one got time for buying accy's from the sprint store. ;)

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, they're going to "gain customers by taking features away." Because the customer doesn't see it that way. They added a lot more than they subtracted here. Remember, metal and glass premium construction is a "feature." TouchID is a "feature." MST is a "feature." Wireless charging is a "feature." Faster storage is a "feature."

While removable batteries and removable storage are also "features" the question remains as to how many potential customers care about those particular features versus the features Samsung added. The readers of AndroidCentral are not a representative sample of that block of potential customers, we're a bunch of enthusiasts who treat our phones very differently than Joe Enduser. Joe is more likely to stick a Mophie Juicepack on, upload his files to Google Photos and Drive, and call it a day, instead of grabbing military surplus web gear and loading it up with spare batteries and microSD cards.

Given the sales of the iPhone6, the One M8, Motorola's wood or leather backed X, and Sony's Xperia line, premium construction does seem to be gaining in popularity though.

Agreed. What Samsung added exceeds what they took away...at least to the general public. I'm sure samsung will gain new customers who wanted to try them in the past but were put off by the look/design of the device compared to the iPhone. The public loves pretty shiny devices.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly you guys are arguing over nothing -- NO one knows how it will work out. Will they lose SOME customers? Of course we can assume that .. but to lose a ton? Maybe they will .. maybe they won't .. but we can't really know.

At least you acknowledge that Samsung can lose a lot of customers over this.

This is why it makes sense to offer two versions of the Samsung Galaxy S6. Customers that want a removable battery and micro SD support will buy one version. Those who don't will buy the other version. This way Samsung doesn't lose any customers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
At least you acknowledge that Samsung can lose a lot of customers over this.

This is why it makes sense to offer two versions of the Samsung Galaxy S6. Customers that want a removable battery and micro SD support will buy one version. Those who don't will buy the other version. This way Samsung doesn't lose any customers.

Of course they can. They could lose customers over ANY reason ... So grasping at straws to say "They will lose customers!" just to say you're right in the forum is ... well ... a waste to me.

Yes there are going to be a lot of angry customers .. there usually are whenever a product changes since some like the old way of things... but no one can predict if it will destroy them like some seem to say -- I highly doubt it will since there are many other phones that do not have these 2 things and they're doing just fine... but .. we will have to wait till release and then see the sale numbers to see how badly it hurts .. or doesn't hurt them.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Of course they can. They could lose customers over ANY reason ...

Well, at least you didn't object to my idea of Samsung making multiple versions of their phone to accommodate all their customers. That seems to be the best strategy. Samsung won't lose customers if they do that.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least you didn't object to my idea of Samsung making multiple versions of their phone to accommodate all their customers. That seems to be the best strategy. Samsung won't lose customers if they do that.

They could lose money though. It would be a business decision / analysis to see if the amount of customers lost outweighs the cost of multiple manufacturing lines. Along with getting carriers to support multiple versions of the same phone and marketing all those devices.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They could lose money though. It would be a business decision / analysis to see if the amount of customers lost outweighs the cost of multiple manufacturing lines. Along with getting carriers to support multiple versions of the same phone and marketing all those devices.

Samsung should then eliminate the Samsung Ativ line of Windows phones. This will free up some manufacturing capacity and streamline marketing and support.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I used to think that SD card is a must but after checking my usage, I believe that a 32 Gb phone would be enough for me. But the battery has to be removable; so many times I come home from work (where I can't plug in to charge all the time) and have to go out and I just swap batteries and I'm good to go. On a non removable battery, I would have to hug the wall for a hour or more before heading out or carry an bulky external battery pack with me. In conclusion dear Samsung, u will not get the s6 (or as I call it the 6s).
Now, for those who feel like reading a long post, let me tell you why I think this is a iphone copy: rounded edges, speaker grille, headphone jack placement, home button fingerprint scanner, glass back, Samsung pay, non removable battery, no SG card, storage sizes at 32,64,128 GB... Hats just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more other similarities.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's why they make car charger on your hour long drive in traffic your phone would be charging by the time you get home its done Sammy has fast car chargers too

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

The same logic hasn't hurt Apple 1 bid folks need to get over the no SD card no removable battery thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma