Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Samsung made a HUGE leap from last year's model. It is currently the most distinguishable, desired item on the mobile market(as of 2015 March). Samsung has been a hardware bully of the mobile market, and now it's perfecting its phone design. When they get the galaxy s line the iPhone level software-hardware integration, Samsung will dominate the smartphone market once and for all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you review most of the threads on this forum, you will find that few people here think there were "huge leaps" between S4 and S5 or note 3 and note 4. Good improvements, for sure. Huge leaps--not really. The days of huge leaps are pretty much over, I suspect.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you review most of the threads on this forum, you will find that few people here think there were "huge leaps" between S4 and S5 or note 3 and note 4. Good improvements, for sure. Huge leaps--not really. The days of huge leaps are pretty much over, I suspect.

More like 'tiny' leaps, lol!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
now thats a big "IF", nobody can guarantee that. Frankly, thats the debate from the start.

Battery issue will not arise in short experience, it's more of a problem when the sealed one lose its capacity, a year down the road.

A year? I have never kept a phone for a year, so I am good...

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

More like 'tiny' leaps, lol!

This is a huge leap compare to the changes from s4 to s5. They implemented significant changes in both software and hardware. Touchwiz is not only lighter but it also let's you customize the entire ui. Hardware side, you got much sexier body(with the plastic yuck junk gone). Polymer is a good engineering material but many people just prefer to have more rigid metal phone bodies. The fast charging is both software and hardware implementation and it is a huge deal. When supplied big enough current, it will make recharging much faster. Which means your standard powerbanks will be much more efficient.

Stating your opinion about what you don't like about something is much easier and often people are unprofessional doing so.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
A year? I have never kept a phone for a year, so I am good...

well, isn't that nice.

obviously nobody is debating if s6 or s6Edge is good for a "specific person". We are all trying to project what will happen to "a significant portion of potential buyers". But really, nobody knows anything for sure. Only time will tell.

Glenn Sager

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I never, EVER, not one time told you, or anyone else, how to use your phones. go drama queen somewhere else.

EDIT: I also never made fun of anyone. What post did you read, exactly?

I never, EVER, not one time told you, or anyone else, how to use your phones. go drama queen somewhere else.

EDIT: I also never made fun of anyone. What post did you read, exactly?

In the post I quoted you said "
20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?" Essentially saying the person planned poorly because they used an SD card and have a lot of data on it.

You also said "SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also." Which tells me that since I like having the option to have a removable battery and do use SD cards, I am using my phone wrong, since they are not needed. Of course, I have not had the same issues with SD cards that you have had, and had with at least 5 phones and 1 Tablet...but continued to use the SD cards for some reason...even though they are not needed, if I remember correctly.

No drama intended, I thought I was responding to your comment in the same vein that you made it.

prodigeek

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
As a hardcore user, Galaxy Note 4 is a perfection for me. In terms of aesthetics of Note 4, it's now comparable to an iPhone as i see it. I just moved to Samsung Note 4 from iPhone as I realized that SPen and a removable battery really matters most for me. There's nothing more convenient than having an extra batteries on my carriage that can guarantee an uninterrupted usage of my phone anytime. A hardcore user will really love this removable battery feature of Samsung while a non-hardcore users won't care much. Now if Samsung finds that the hardcore users population is way negligible compared to the non-hardcore users then Samsung might let go the removable battery. In that case, I might shift to XiaoMei, For me I don't care with the brand, I'm more on the experience. For the removable SD Card, I don't see much practical advantages to it in my case. There's nothing much difference to have a removable & non-removable SD Card. What Samsung could do, they can retain the Note 4 design and manufacture in lower quantity while they can focus to produce more on the design similar to S6.

Last edited:

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In the end, to me, taking away options is not a good thing. If you do not want to use the SD card no one is forcing you to. If you never want to change out your battery no one is forcing you to. Some of us want that option and will use devices that offer it to us.

Those are good points. I find it puzzling why anyone would be against more options. Let the people decide what they want.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S6 has made me very happy that my android phones still have removables. I really hope the G4 has them and is an otherwise desirable device. That said, I'll be curious to see how battery life is on the S6 and how Samsung handles battery replacement, should it be needed.

♻from the Note 3📳

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
In the post I quoted you said "
20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?" Essentially saying the person planned poorly because they used an SD card and have a lot of data on it.

You also said "SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also." Which tells me that since I like having the option to have a removable battery and do use SD cards, I am using my phone wrong, since they are not needed. Of course, I have not had the same issues with SD cards that you have had, and had with at least 5 phones and 1 Tablet...but continued to use the SD cards for some reason...even though they are not needed, if I remember correctly.

No drama intended, I thought I was responding to your comment in the same vein that you made it.

Again, where did I tell you how to use your phone? You interpreted what I said the way YOU wanted to hear me say it. This is your problem, not mine.

They are not needed by the way. The phone will function with out them. A single battery is needed, and the internal memory is needed. The add ons are ADD ONs. They are ADDED ON, AFTER the fact, therefore not NEEDED.

I capitalized the important bits, I want to emphasize, just in case you want to interpret what I said, again, to suit your own point.

EDIT: Having one copy of anything important enough to keep is bad. Don't know what to tell you; Having all of your stuff on a phone, which is easily destroyed, and only having one copy of all your stuff on it, is bad. It's not my concern what you do personally. That doesn't change the fact that pohones are not secure, easy to lose, and backing up data is a big deal. Therefore, having a full SD of important stuff, with no back up is bad. Sorry.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This argument is too general. There are 4 things that Samsung was "doing wrong" in my opinion, according to what I want to see in devices, and this eliminated two of them. The other two (physical button and software) will still prevent me from buying a Samsung phone, but this decision made me regain some respect for their design philosophy.

Removable battery is an engineering and resource mistake - removing this "option" opens the door to many more benefits and goes one step further to eliminating the "drain it all the way" mistake that many users make more often when they can just hot swap - an action alone which wreaks havoc on Android's ability to anticipate usage and manage background tasks. I understand that some people want this option and have no issue with that - for me, it is smarter to close this thing off.

MicroSD card slot is an engineering and resource mistake that allows for security and performance risks not otherwise introduced. Every second spent coding for this option, not to mention the materials and engineering compromises necessary to have it present, falls into the opportunity cost category - time and money not spent on improving the device or software or health of the company (which allows for it to become more creative, etc).

Physical home buttons, etc require materials, engineering compromises, consume physical space and require software resources to enable them. This "feature" was made obsolete in 2011 and seeing devices still released with it is somewhat disappointing. Again, I realize some users prefer this - I just simply disagree. It speaks to a design that detracts from design evolution and utility, rather than helping move the cause forward.

Software - Samsung's TouchWiz comes rich with many, many features. None of them are quite as useful as what Moto brings and in fact many of them are system resource intensive messes with very little value add to most users. Throw everything on the wall and see what sticks is a poor substitute for understanding your market and designing software that meets their needs and raises their expectations of how their devices should/could interact with them. Android as a system is moving towards a concept that resembles getting the software out of the way of content, people, etc. Samsung is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to resisting the more modern perspectives and all three of the above are physical manifestations of this apparent belligerence.

Now, obviously "Samsung" doesn't have an attitude, it responds to market forces in whatever way it believes it can best capitalize - so in fact, Samsung's failings of aspiration are more in fact reflections of the poor atmosphere of their consumer base - many of which were making decisions based on very old software versions running on very cheap (in price and quality) devices. These signals must have been hard to overcome, but I for one am glad that Samsung has taken this tiny step towards rejoining the present course of the platform.

To be honest, much of what you stated sounds a lot like someone who highly prefers Nexus devices. Nothing wrong with that, but those types of devices inherently follow Google's guidelines, sometimes to a fault (IMO). So I think it's good that OEM's such as Samsung don't do that, otherwise we'd end up with less choice and a platform model more like Apple. :(

Also, I respectfully and strongly disagree in referring to features (ex. removable battery, SD card) as "mistakes". Sure they have some potential negatives (most things do), but they also have some very tangible benefits. So it just doesn't seem right to label them that way.

Finally, not quite sure exactly what this means: "hot swap - an action alone which wreaks havoc on Android's ability to anticipate usage and manage background tasks." Is this referring to Google Now? I don't use it and have it disabled. Otherwise, I've never experienced any negative repercussions in powering off to swap out for a fresh battery. I've actually found the opposite in that it keeps my device running at peak performance especially since Google started updating more and more things behind the screens via Play services (ex. sometimes these updates have caused performance or battery hits until I've rebooted. Nothing else has changed otherwise on my device as I disable any other type of updates).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the S6 will sell well but I also believe that they've left the door wide open for other manufacturers to step up their game. LG has to bring their A game this year to capitalize on this. I think if the G4 sells as well or better than the S6, it will be a good indication that the sd card slot and removable battery crowd is not a minority as most are saying and would have you believe.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the S6 will sell well but I also believe that they've left the door wide open for other manufacturers to step up their game. LG has to bring their A game this year to capitalize on this. I think if the G4 sells as well or better than the S6, it will be a good indication that the sd card slot and removable battery crowd is not a minority as most are saying and would have you believe.

One point is that the G4 will likely be a larger device. I'm personally not interested in a phone with a screen larger than 5.2". I think many factors go into people buying a phone and you can't pick out individual features that a phone has as the deciding factor. If the G4 says really well is it because of the sd card, removable battery, screen size, battery size, overall look of the device, price, etc?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
When was the last time any LG phone outsold a Samsung phone? No, it's not impossible, I want the G4 to be as successful as much as anyone, and I may eat my words but I don't really envision the G4 giving the S6 any notable competition just like I don't envision the G Flex 2 giving the S6 Edge any notable competition.

EDITED: for grammar :)

♻from the Note III🍶

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One point is that the G4 will likely be a larger device.

Don't be so sure.... I've read a lot of chatter about not only that the G4 might be a bit smaller than the G3, but that LG is planning on a second, larger, premium device to go into the Nexus 6/Note 4 range. If the second part is true, it would stand to reason that the G4 would see a reduction in size closer to where the S6 is... and considering LG's distaste for bezels, it might even be smaller, physically, than the S6 yet retain a screen that is as large, if not larger.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't be so sure.... I've read a lot of chatter about not only that the G4 might be a bit smaller than the G3, but that LG is planning on a second, larger, premium device to go into the Nexus 6/Note 4 range. If the second part is true, it would stand to reason that the G4 would see a reduction in size closer to where the S6 is... and considering LG's distaste for bezels, it might even be smaller, physically, than the S6 yet retain a screen that is as large, if not larger.

That would be nice, but I also think it would be a first for a flagship device to go that much smaller. With the LG G3 being a 5.5" screen, I think they would have to drop to at least a 5.2" screen (taking into account their dislike for bevels, but still needing space for components). It is a nice thought, but I haven't found LG products to be enticing enough to wait around for, but I know others are anxiously awaiting them.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time any LG phone outsold a Samsung phone? No, it's not impossible, I want the G4 to be as success as much as anyone, and I my eat my words but I don't really envision the G4 giving the S6 any notable competition just like I don't envision the G Flex 2 giving the S6 Edge any notable competition.

♻from the Note III??????

I'm going to file away this statement of yours right over here.....just....in....case......lol! :p

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From what LG said recently on design/build quality of G4, I think it will go with sealed battery too. But it might retain SD card slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad