Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
UPS quick storage

Yep, First Overnight with Saturday Delivery. What can Brown do for you? :D

NFC/MST mobile payment

I'm still convinced MST is the big game-changed, but Samsung is going to have to expand it beyond the S line, get it into the Active and the Note...if Samsung Pay picks up then they can sell MST modules to everyone else to increase acceptance and use of Samsung Pay, or keep Samsung Pay as a hook to get people to move to the various Samsung devices. I'm curious about which way they'll go actually.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You have made your point. You enjoy having less options as long as it is something you feel you do not need. I will buy phones with the things i feel are needed.

No one said they had only one copy. The original person who said they had all that on the SD card never claimed that was their only copy. Yes I agree that having one copy of anything even slightly important is not a good idea. Luckily SD cards do not require you to destroy all other copies in order to use them.

That's not my point. I never said I enjoyed less options. I will also remind you that no one except for me listed the contents on their SD card. I made that up as I was typing. You need some help? You seem to have an issue with your vision.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Another positive. Otterbox is going to have the Defender, Commuter and Symmetry cases. Also hoping for the Preserver case.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

This is why I am thinking of going back to Samsuck. I hate Touchwhiz, like I hate the George Lucas remakes. Yup, that much.

I also hate my lack of cases and screen protectors on Nexus devices. I have them, but I can't impulse buy, because I have to source Ebay and Amazon for them. With Galaxy phones, you can get the stuff anywhere.

Also, the camera. Oh boy do nexus cameras stink. My wife can get a decent picture with her phones, but a decent photo on a Nexus is a great picture with a different phone.

I almost got the Note 4 over the Nexus 6, but I didn't because of updates. AT&T and Samsung are notorious for crap update schedules.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Happily, there are at least some hints here that the Note 5 will continue to have SD cards and batteries (quote buried in the middle):
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-5-release-date-rumours-news-specs-and-price

Not meant to be an appendage, just to off some garbage to free up some room. Have fun with your cluttered phone.

This is the thing some of us keep saying: everyone's need is not the same. My 128gb SD card is mostly filled with my music library. How does this clutter my phone? For thing, it's on the SD card, not the phone's internal storage. Having something dangling off of a port isn't even close to a decent solution. I use the phone for music a lot. If every time I try to play something I have to attach a dongle or something--well, that's not exactly a decent substitute for the SD card. It's just one more thing to lose, forget or damage while carrying the phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Happily, there are at least some hints here that the Note 5 will continue to have SD cards and batteries (quote buried in the middle):
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date, rumours, news, specs and price - News - Trusted Reviews

This is the thing some of us keep saying: everyone's need is not the same. My 128gb SD card is mostly filled with my music library. How does this clutter my phone? For thing, it's on the SD card, not the phone's internal storage. Having something dangling off of a port isn't even close to a decent solution. I use the phone for music a lot. If every time I try to play something I have to attach a dongle or something--well, that's not exactly a decent substitute for the SD card. It's just one more thing to lose, forget or damage while carrying the phone.

Did you read my post? It's not an appendage, just a tool to offload some garbage. Just how many songs do you carry around on your device out of curiosity?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

You have a serious music addiction. I bet that there are songs that you heard in a while. Thus the clutter. Don't be a tech packet. There's cloud storage or services like Google Music. However, if it works for you, great. This is just another expandable storage discussion. The ship has sailed. If this feature us such a distraction, get another device. Embrace the future and adapt or be content with what you have and not force others to be subjected to another expandable storage rant. You don't have to defend your decisions or presences. There is a sub-forum for those not happy with the design choices by Samsung for the GS6.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date, rumours, news, specs and price - News - Trusted Reviews

You are not supposed to use an external flash to "dangle off of a port". It's simply an option to back stuff up. Why would you even think you would connect the flash to play music or access files?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You are not supposed to use an external flash to "dangle off of a port". It's simply an option to back stuff up. Why would you even think you would connect the flash to play music or access files?

Exactly.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
its refreshing you guys are recycling iPeople's argument from years back. Not saying its right or wrong, just can't resist the irony! :D

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute. Inders99: "This just rendered the SD card pointless in most cases."

I don't know why I need something to dangle off of a port for backing up. I already have USB for the phone itself. And the sd card flips nicely into a card reader for fast backup. But the SD card never needs to be backed up---it's not where I keep my originals. They're just copies.

"I bet that there are songs that you heard in a while. Thus the clutter."

As for my music addiction (yes, I'm loving the pejorative there): Just because someone doesn't use the device the way others do, doesn't mean it is wrong. I fail to see how filling up my card with music that I like clutters my phone. Especially since the mp3s are NOT ON THE PHONE. There's a illogical leap there that makes no sense. I like to have my music library. With me. It's a matter of choice and selection for whatever I'm in the mood for. Yep, that definitely means that I don't listen to all of them all the time. It also means I get to choose whatever I want and am not limited to the last 12 albums ripped. That's not your need? Fair enough. I don't expect everyone to have that need. A lot of people hate S-pens and big screens, too. But I do have that need. Maybe one day all data will be free and everyone will be hooked in and you'll be able to walk around streets in Paris with copious streaming of every conceivable song you want to play. Until then streaming helps, but it isn't an adequate solution in all cases. Hence, the card.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute.

I don't know why I need something to dangle off of a port for backing up. I already USB for the phone itself. And the sd card flips nicely into a card reader for fast backup. But the SD card never needs to be backed up---it's not where I keep my originals. They're just copies.

Because it's an option for those that can't grasp the concept of not having a SD Card.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Because that is what it seemed to be portrayed as---an SD card substitute. Inders99: "This just rendered the SD card pointless in most cases."

I'll stand by my post and subsequent posts that it's to be used to off garbage that's taking up space, not to drag around.

Maybe someone can answer my question so I can quantify some of this discussion, how many songs does it take to clutter up 128gbs?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll stand by my post and subsequent posts that it's to be used to off garbage that's taking up space, not to drag around.

Maybe someone can answer my question so I can quantify some of this discussion, how many songs does it take to clutter up 128gbs?

However many it is has to be in the thousands.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

It's hard to answer that question because the answer will change depending on variables. I.e,., whether it is mostly pop or classical (some classical movements counting as 1 song could be the equivalent 5+ pop songs). The answer will also change depending on how you have them ripped. If you have high quality rips, it takes up a lot more space. The music I have on my 128gb card now is almost precisely the same as I had on my 64gb card. The key thing that changed is that I re-ripped them with good bit rates instead of having most at 160 since I finally had a card that made doing that worthwhile.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Not as many as you'd think. My dead computer had less than 128 GB storage and there's very little music on it for the 80 GB I had. If you rip a TV series to watch on a commute and have a decent music library, 128 GB isn't that much space. (Fortunately I have everything backed up to external drives - why is it a bad idea to back up one's phone the same way? And carry the external drive in the phone?)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not as many as you'd think. My dead computer had less than 128 GB storage and there's very little music on it for the 80 GB I had. If you rip a TV series to watch on a commute and have a decent music library, 128 GB isn't that much space. (Fortunately I have everything backed up to external drives - why is it a bad idea to back up one's phone the same way? And carry the external drive in the phone?)

You need the external device to off load what you aren't using. Perpetuating the discussion about expandable storage is for those who don't really need just demonstrate the laziness of some to streamline and carry less dead weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome