Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
We definitely have a expandable storage obesity epidemic here.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think we are saying it looks like sd may be on the way out in the long term, and there are other options. The S6 is the first premium Samsung with a toe in that water. 128 - 200 gb has gone past what sd was meant for, imv.

I don't advocate cloud storage at all.
I have about 300 mb on 3 accounts and the cloud is actually (wait for it, shock and awe) somebody else's computer they call a server.

I can't afford to replace a computer, but if we have a decent phone with sd now, but hope to spend 700 - 900 on the next flagship, well I can buy a refurbished desktop with W7 for 80, an XP for half.

I wouldn't buy an 8 or 16gb device without an sd option. That's the market sd cards started.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
To me there's just this feeling of "You had this before, we know you liked it, but we're taking it away. Here's a conciliation prize". Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way but for some odd reason I do.

Can I adapt? Of course, they're just phones. It still stings a bit though. Just don't mess up my Note series the same way this year. I know they will sooner or later but please don't this year.

G3 📱🍭

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
To me there's just this feeling of "You had this before, we know you liked it, but we're taking it away. Here's a conciliation prize". Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way but for some odd reason I do.

Can I adapt? Of course, they're just phones. It still stings a bit though. Just don't mess up my Note series the same way this year. I know they will sooner or later but please don't this year.

G3 📱🍭

It was more a case of we hear you know and sorry for not listening. Improved resolution and energy efficiency of the new display especially in sunlight. Premium build materials. More powerful and energy efficient chipsets. More advanced LTE radio. Multiple wireless charging standards. UFS storage. 32GB storage to start. 3GB of DDR4 RAM versus 1GB of DDR3. Better external speaker. Etc.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It was more a case of we hear you know and sorry for not listening. Improved resolution and energy efficiency of the new display especially in sunlight. Premium build materials. More powerful and energy efficient chipsets. More advanced LTE radio. Multiple wireless charging standards. UFS storage. 32GB storage to start. 3GB of DDR4 RAM versus 1GB of DDR3. Better external speaker. Etc.

I know... and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse. I got new phones in Jan and Feb and all but one of them have removables so I'm set for 2015 and at least half of 2016 if need be.

G3 📱🍭

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I know... and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse. I got new phones in Jan and Feb and all but one of them have removables so I'm set for 2015 and at least half of 2016 if need be.

G3 📱🍭

Happy for you. Enjoy the canoli and leave the gun.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My 128gb has about 45 HD movies and about 7000 songs. It's nearly full and I recently discovered FLAC files which are bigger and sound better.

And it's backed up on my pcs, laptops, clouds, NAS, etc and I have never had an SD card fail on me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Not as many as you'd think. My dead computer had less than 128 GB storage and there's very little music on it for the 80 GB I had. If you rip a TV series to watch on a commute and have a decent music library, 128 GB isn't that much space. (Fortunately I have everything backed up to external drives - why is it a bad idea to back up one's phone the same way? And carry the external drive in the phone?)

Just a quick look-up, it looks like many multiples of thousands...many multiples for 128. I don't know...I think most of the gripers are the fringe people here. It just seems strange to carry and hold so much entertainment on a device without rotating the garbage out.

Sort of reminds me of the TV show Hoarders...but what do I know.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
My 128gb has about 45 HD movies and about 7000 songs. It's nearly full and I recently discovered FLAC files which are bigger and sound better.

And it's backed up on my pcs, laptops, clouds, NAS, etc and I have never had an SD card fail on me.

Awesome for you. Buy the 128gb GS6 and you are set.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

This just seems preposterous to me, I'm sorry...when do you have time to do anything else but manage your inventory? I wasn't aware that the human race even wrote 7000 songs in their history :p

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

How many flights are long enough for 45 movies? You must stuck in airports alot. Where is there time to listen to 7k songs? I would back everything up to an external hard drive. What happens if the card fails?

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Lol you are making your life harder. You won't be able to differentiate the quality of sound anyway on the go because it's always louder than home. Also you won't get to watch full movies while commuting. You don't have to bring your entire library on the go. Just buy 64 GB or 32 GB and grab a few of your favourites.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Can we pleease combine the 3 threads in S6 and Note 4.
Everyone is repeating points made by somebody else, or going around the campaign trail making the same points in each.

Lol!

Let's do it moderator.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick look-up, it looks like many multiples of thousands...many multiples for 128. I don't know...I think most of the gripers are the fringe people here. It just seems strange to carry and hold so much entertainment on a device without rotating the garbage out.

Sort of reminds me of the TV show Hoarders...but what do I know.

Well there you go not accepting that some people like to carry a lot of data. It's a tiny little chip, after all. Not like we're lugging 20 old style hard disks along in our pockets.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Your first link, the topic has been beat to death for almost a week now. Nothing useful except griping and complaining about the absence of expandable storage and swappable battery. Both design choices that will not be included in the GS6. Those folks can't accept this reality.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Your first link, the topic has been beat to death for almost a week now. Nothing useful except griping and complaining about the absence of expandable storage and swappable battery. Both design choices that will not be included in the GS6. Those folks can't accept this reality.

Whenever this pops up on my notification I get annoyed. This kind of threads is the reason why I (and other people) leave the smartphone forums. Notification pops up and the immediate thought is "not again..."

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
The first one you link is the one that many threads have already been merged with. So staff is surely working at keeping things consolidated.
So, whenever a new poster stops by and posts about the battery and/or SD card in these S6 forums, it gets merged to that existing big thread.
It'll cool off. Its only been a week.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Forum should ideally be a place of fun exchange of opinions, not a ranting vent-off area. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc