S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It has to come out of the case sometime. The feel in the hand is more solid and premium with the glass and aluminum.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

I hate to do this on an android forum in a samsung thread ... but I think apple absolutely nailed it with the way they did the iphone 6 ... having the aluminum back. Not glass, and not plastic. Durable and solid, but not as easy to scratch/break. No real need for glass on the back, and the aluminum can be as thin or thinner than the glass, and lighter.

As much as the S6 mimics the iphone 6 in aesthetics, I'm surprised they didn't do an aluminum back instead of glass.

That said, I love the glass back from a pure design standpoint ... but I still always feel like the phone is more fragile than it could be. Without a case on the phone, I find myself being VERY careful in how I set it down on any hard surface.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate to do this on an android forum in a samsung thread ... but I think apple absolutely nailed it with the way they did the iphone 6 ... having the aluminum back. Not glass, and not plastic. Durable and solid, but not as easy to scratch/break. No real need for glass on the back, and the aluminum can be as thin or thinner than the glass, and lighter.

As much as the S6 mimics the iphone 6 in aesthetics, I'm surprised they didn't do an aluminum back instead of glass.

That said, I love the glass back from a pure design standpoint ... but I still always feel like the phone is more fragile than it could be. Without a case on the phone, I find myself being VERY careful in how I set it down on any hard surface.

So, they just copied HTC. So what?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Like I said, Samsung can't catch a break. They get hammered for years about the build materials. They do a near complete redesign and we get this. Apple makes a great product but they are hardly innovators when it comes to build materials.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

For me, the deal breaker with the S6 was the removal of SD card support. I don't care about the removable battery but no SD card? Come on now. I ended up getting the M9 and am quite happy with it. I had owned the S4 and S5 previously and would have an S6 if it had SD card support.

With that said, Samsung really put out a great phone with the S6. I played around on one at the store and was quite impressed. However, I do agree that they seem to be going the way of the Apple by removing SD card support, which has been a staple of Samsung devices.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, Samsung can't catch a break. They get hammered for years about the build materials. They do a near complete redesign and we get this. Apple makes a great product but they are hardly innovators when it comes to build materials.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Samsung. I think the build quality of the s6 is amazing. I was simply commenting that an aluminum back as opposed to a glass back would have suited ME better. I don't think that would have cheapened the build quality or made any appreciable difference in the overall quality of the phone. In fact I think it would have made the phone feel more durable.

But again, Im not complaining. I wouldn't trade my s6 for any other phone right now.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

For me, the deal breaker with the S6 was the removal of SD card support. I don't care about the removable battery but no SD card? Come on now. I ended up getting the M9 and am quite happy with it. I had owned the S4 and S5 previously and would have an S6 if it had SD card support.

With that said, Samsung really put out a great phone with the S6. I played around on one at the store and was quite impressed. However, I do agree that they seem to be going the way of the Apple by removing SD card support, which has been a staple of Samsung devices.

You have other external storage options and more useable space, granted the device starts with 32GB instead of 16GB.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you are getting at. I take no issue with everyone keying off other phones design characteristics. I was just saying that I think the aluminum back is the way to go.

The way I read your post ("Hate to say it on an android forum" etc)was that Apple came up with the idea, but they clearly followed HTC. Just making sure you know it.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

You have other external storage options and more useable space, granted the device starts with 32GB instead of 16GB.
That's just not acceptable for me at this point. I would have wanted the 128 GB version but didn't want to pay for it. I'm happy with my choice. I've got a 32 GB phone and a 64 GB SD card. Plenty of room for music, pics and movies.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Samsung. I think the build quality of the s6 is amazing. I was simply commenting that an aluminum back as opposed to a glass back would have suited ME better. I don't think that would have cheapened the build quality or made any appreciable difference in the overall quality of the phone. In fact I think it would have made the phone feel more durable.

But again, Im not complaining. I wouldn't trade my s6 for any other phone right now.

I wouldn't have had an issue that the glass was a little thicker. Whatever build material Samsung chooses next, I hope the device is thick enough so that we don't have a camera hump and that the camera is flush with the body, glass or aluminum.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

That's just not acceptable for me at this point. I would have wanted the 128 GB version but didn't want to pay for it. I'm happy with my choice. I've got a 32 GB phone and a 64 GB SD card. Plenty of room for music, pics and movies.
That's cool. Whatever works best for you.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit, I never thought of how an aluminum back might affect wireless charging.

As for the thickness of the phone ... I'd love to see Samsung figure out how to decrease the depth of the camera lens assembly, and then thicken the phone just enough to get the back of the phone "flat". I would gladly have a slightly "thicker" phone if it helped to get rid of the camera bump on the back.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I will never buy a glass backed phone. 75%+ of the iPhones I see are all cracked up in back. I expect to see the same in the S6. Make it out of plastic or aluminum. A true premium material would be carbon fiber.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't have had an issue that the glass was a little thicker. Whatever build material Samsung chooses next, I hope the device is thick enough so that we don't have a camera hump and that the camera is flush with the body, glass or aluminum.

I couldn't agree more with this. That camera hump is annoying and probably a target for damage. At least a case mostly corrects this issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I will never buy a glass backed phone. 75%+ of the iPhones I see are all cracked up in back. I expect to see the same in the S6. Make it out of plastic or aluminum. A true premium material would be carbon fiber.

I'm not sure who's phones you're looking at, but I carried an all glass iPhone 4S for nearly 3 years and it had exactly zero damage. I didn't use a heavy duty case like otterbox either.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this. That camera hump is annoying and probably a target for damage. At least a case mostly corrects this issue.

Agreed, if it didn't have the camera hump I wouldn't need a case at all. The lens is just asking to get damaged when the phone is naked.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Put the device in a rugged case to mitigate breaks. The chassis is aluminum. The glass is Gorilla Glass 4 so it might be more resistant to scratch and dings than the last generation iPhone. The choice I believe had something to do with wireless charging which is built in. There are always going to be those who are happy with anything Samsung tries to do to respond to customers needs.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, if it didn't have the camera hump I wouldn't need a case at all. The lens is just asking to get damaged when the phone is naked.

I think it may have been android authority (?), the S6 was leaning upright against something and slipped on to it's back, cracking the camera lens. That's like 7cm high or something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance