S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The changes for the S6 have made me very confident i'll be getting an S6 or S6 Edge this year…if you asked me a month ago, Samsung was at the bottom of my list. Looks like they sold me.

I really didn't have much hope in them, even though I did like the Note. There was just some feeling inside that it would be a let down. But I liked everything I saw and I'm sold now without even trying it out.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
are you trying to tell me that a bunch of us on here have more experience in this sort of thing than Samsung? Hell no. I'm sure they did their research, and the average consumer doesn't need the swappable battery or SD card.

hard to tell, big businesses make mistake all the time. Years back I vigorously argued at now defunct webOS nation forum that the HP Touchpad is way overpriced and has no chance to succeed against iPad, apparent HP market researchers though otherwise. Guess who was right in the end?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hard to tell, big businesses make mistake all the time. Years back I vigorously argued at now defunct webOS nation forum that the HP Touchpad is way overpriced and has no chance to succeed against iPad, apparent HP market researchers though otherwise. Guess who was right in the end?

They do, there's no denying that. But we're a bunch of armchair quarterbacks here. And I could venture a guess that the lack of removable battery or SD card has ever hurt the sale of any iPhone, or probably any other smartphone on the market.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
They do, there's no denying that. But we're a bunch of armchair quarterbacks here. And I could venture a guess that the lack of removable battery or SD card has ever hurt the sale of any iPhone, or probably any other smartphone on the market.

i don't think we can ignore apple's cult following. Apple can make mistakes in the product and still sell a ton, think first gen iPhone w/o any native apps, think iPhone 1-5s with tiny screens., while no other phone makers can survive that long.

If you look solely within android-sphere, Sammi is doing best, which has always had removable battery and SD slot as differentiation factors.

So exactly what will happen when sammi abandon its past "advantage" and try to play in Apple's court with an improved design (some may even say it looks the best)? Maybe it will succeed, maybe it will not.

Only time will tell. Only one thing is for sure, sammi is taking a significant chance here.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S6 is going to sell awesomely, assuming there no design flaws that get highly publicized (like the touchscreen not being responsive around the bezels or something wild like that). The general reaction to the device has been largely positive except for the tiny minority that are (rightfully?) upset about the lack of removables. ... and when the S6 sells incredibly well Samsung is going to affirm that they made the correct design decisions to sell the most phones at the lowest manufacturing costs.

♻from the Note III🍶

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's been five days of venting about the exclusion of the swappable battery and expandable storage being excluded. Accept the reality that they aren't going to be included. No matter how more posts about them, it won't change the reality of the situation. Embrace change and reality and vote with your wallet. When the GS7 comes up in the rumored or upcoming devices forum late this year, fire away. I would hazard to say that a growing chorus of those who would rather take a forward looking approach and see more topic posts that generate excitement about the GS6. The secret to failure is trying to please all the people all of the time. Samsung is taking a much more focused, forward looking approach. Jump on the moving train to the future and don't forget to mind the gap.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
i don't think we can ignore apple's cult following. Apple can make mistakes in the product and still sell a ton, think first gen iPhone w/o any native apps, think iPhone 1-5s with tiny screens., while no other phone makers can survive that long.

If you look solely within android-sphere, Sammi is doing best, which has always had removable battery and SD slot as differentiation factors.

So exactly what will happen when sammi abandon its past "advantage" and try to play in Apple's court with an improved design (some may even say it looks the best)? Maybe it will succeed, maybe it will not.

Only time will tell. Only one thing is for sure, sammi is taking a significant chance here.
Samsung has almost the same cult following. Most of the "common" tech folk associate Samsung with Android. This phone won't fail, at least not because of the lack of removable battery or SD card. The quick charging and wireless charging, to the vast majority of people, will replace the need for a replaceable battery. And the storage options (with much more reliable on board storage) will reduce the need for an SD card for most users. An S5, which only came in 16gb has around 22gb of usable storage if you added a 16gb SD card. The lowest option of S6 will have more storage than that available to the user.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has almost the same cult following. Most of the "common" tech folk associate Samsung with Android. This phone won't fail, at least not because of the lack of removable battery or SD card. The quick charging and wireless charging, to the vast majority of people, will replace the need for a replaceable battery. And the storage options (with much more reliable on board storage) will reduce the need for an SD card for most users. An S5, which only came in 16gb has around 22gb of usable storage if you added a 16gb SD card. The lowest option of S6 will have more storage than that available to the user.

Samsung's cult following is seriously underrated. "Common folk" know Galaxy.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
and when the S6 sells incredibly well Samsung is going to affirm that they made the correct design decisions to sell the most phones at the lowest manufacturing costs.

â™»from the Note III??????

Here's some food for thought...an industry giant Samsung ditches the removables, the product sells like crazy, Samsung sets precedent, many of the other manufacturers ditch removables since Sammy proved they're a thing of the past.

Hmmm....

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The changes for the S6 have made me very confident i'll be getting an S6 or S6 Edge this year…if you asked me a month ago, Samsung was at the bottom of my list. Looks like they sold me.

You and me both. A month ago I could't wait to ditch my GS3 and Samsung all together and was really looking forward to the M9 release only to realize just how lost HTC is and how Sammy hit a potential home run despite the hard core types grumbling. It's now at the top of my list unless LG hits a homer with their G4. Interesting times for sure.

Prediction: HTC fires its CEO after almost tanking with the M9.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's some food for thought...an industry giant Samsung ditches the removables, the product sells like crazy, Samsung sets precedent, many of the other manufacturers ditch removables since Sammy proved they're a thing of the past.

Hmmm....

But...

Sony = non-removable battery
HTC = non-removable battery
Motorola = non-removable battery

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is always near the top of my list. I was waiting to see the intro of the M9. Sad to say it just seems to be a minute refresh of M8.Thankfully, Samsung took the bold steps in the right direction. As another post in another thread points out correctly, all maker sometimes fall into another trap of incremental refreshes. Samsung seem only to have taken a ground up approach with the GS6 but as a corporate culture within the mobile division, a move that will go a long way to dominating the smartphone landscape.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the new features and feel of the Galaxy S6, but whats keeping me from upgrading is the glass back..

Recall iPhone4 failure with Glass backed phones..

if Sammie would simply do metal/alu uni-body design or a metal/alu removable back cover I would be sold....

Maybe the S6 active will have that sacrificing the finger print scanner & loading loads of Bloat.

I am still on an S3 and it has been a Solid phone with 0 issues. little lag on a rare occasion.. but a good all around phone..

The S6 is the best upgrade since the Galaxy S3 IMHO..still the glass back is enough to keep me on the fence and likely waiting for the upgrade

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I love the new features and feel of the Galaxy S6, but whats keeping me from upgrading is the glass back..

Recall iPhone4 failure with Glass backed phones..

if Sammie would simply do metal/alu uni-body design or a metal/alu removable back cover I would be sold....

Maybe the S6 active will have that sacrificing the finger print scanner & loading loads of Bloat.

I am still on an S3 and it has been a Solid phone with 0 issues. little lag on a rare occasion.. but a good all around phone..

The S6 is the best upgrade since the Galaxy S3 IMHO..still the glass back is enough to keep me on the fence and likely waiting for the upgrade

I upgraded to the GS6 from the GS4 and have been happy ever since especially given the fact that the M9 and G4 have and will launch below expectations in terms of overall functionality and performance. On AT&T, mine is lightning fast and super smooth with no noticeable lag. Thin and light with a solid and premium feel.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The current trend in mobile devices is twofold: 1) cloud storage, and 2) quick charging.

Those two things are working to take the place of a need for both on-board device storage, and for removable/replaceable batteries.

I absolutely love my S4 for being able to do the battery swap and add an SD card to expand storage capacity ... especially because I don't like being dependent on a charger or on internet connectivity for data stored in a cloud. I have found myself numerous times where I did not have a good cellular/internet/wifi signal, and was unable to retrieve data in the cloud. However, as technology improves, those things are getting better. Phones are getting slightly better with battery efficiency, and cellular connections are getting stronger/faster/more prominent.

That said, I got an S6 and am dealing fine with it. My battery suffers no issues of "quick drain", and the 64gb of on-board storage is what I had in my S4 (32 + 32). I swapped batteries in my S4 often, and never found it tedious. But, if I can charge my phone completely in a short period of time, the only thing I have to worry about is an all-day excursion where i won't have access to a charger. BUT ... there are two options there now... a Mophie style case for "backup" in case I need it for an all day excursion ... or one of those battery pack things from Samsung that you can charge and just plug into your phone to transfer power to your phone's battery. In fact, one of them is a 9500 mAh battery pack, good for 3 full charges to your phone. Might not be THE most convenient thing in the world, but more than sufficient to keep extra power around in a pinch.

Progress is not always as we would design, but it IS still progress. Things change ... no way around that. Just embrace the new stuff and work with the options given to you. I think we'll all find that there are plenty of viable options just in the Samsung line of phones ... not to mention other brands if you just can't find what you want with Samsung.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The current trend in mobile devices is twofold: 1) cloud storage, and 2) quick charging.

Those two things are working to take the place of a need for both on-board device storage, and for removable/replaceable batteries.

I absolutely love my S4 for being able to do the battery swap and add an SD card to expand storage capacity ... especially because I don't like being dependent on a charger or on internet connectivity for data stored in a cloud. I have found myself numerous times where I did not have a good cellular/internet/wifi signal, and was unable to retrieve data in the cloud. However, as technology improves, those things are getting better. Phones are getting slightly better with battery efficiency, and cellular connections are getting stronger/faster/more prominent.

That said, I got an S6 and am dealing fine with it. My battery suffers no issues of "quick drain", and the 64gb of on-board storage is what I had in my S4 (32 + 32). I swapped batteries in my S4 often, and never found it tedious. But, if I can charge my phone completely in a short period of time, the only thing I have to worry about is an all-day excursion where i won't have access to a charger. BUT ... there are two options there now... a Mophie style case for "backup" in case I need it for an all day excursion ... or one of those battery pack things from Samsung that you can charge and just plug into your phone to transfer power to your phone's battery. In fact, one of them is a 9500 mAh battery pack, good for 3 full charges to your phone. Might not be THE most convenient thing in the world, but more than sufficient to keep extra power around in a pinch.

Progress is not always as we would design, but it IS still progress. Things change ... no way around that. Just embrace the new stuff and work with the options given to you. I think we'll all find that there are plenty of viable options just in the Samsung line of phones ... not to mention other brands if you just can't find what you want with Samsung.

Samsung design choices were made based a rapidly shrinking market of diehards. It's ironic when they get hammered for responding to the needs of a vastly overwhelming majority. Thought the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few or the one.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I really like the design, although to be honest, I don't care if the back was plastic or not. In some ways, I actually prefer the plastic. Less chance of breakage, easier to repair, etc. Besides, I always use a case, so the back is covered up anyway.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I really like the design, although to be honest, I don't care if the back was plastic or not. In some ways, I actually prefer the plastic. Less chance of breakage, easier to repair, etc. Besides, I always use a case, so the back is covered up anyway.

It has to come out of the case sometime. The feel in the hand is more solid and premium with the glass and aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel