Verizon S6 - For Those With An Unlimited Data Plan...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
These newer phones are getting very expensive when you've got a UDP and you're off contract and have to pay full price.

What are you folks doing? Paying full retail to keep your UDP?

I just received a warranty replacement for my S4 from Verizon/Asurion due to my previous S4 breaking down and operating horribly.

I can't see dropping $900 or more on a new phone. Maybe others can... just to keep UDP.

If I have to, I'll buy new. But...

Your thoughts? Your secrets?

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: For Those With An Unlimited Data Plan...

If you current phone works there is no need to get a new phone. Also phones have different prices from high to low. It's your choice to either spend $900 or $200 on a phone. My phone purchases since 2012

Note 1 ..$300 contract
HTC m7...$650 unlocked
IPhone 5s...$750 unlocked
Lg g2 ....$230 used
iPhone 6plus...$850 unlocked.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

If you call the carrier you are with. You can ask them how much data are you using in a month.
I did . And I was using nowhere I thought I was. Asked if it wouldn't benefit me to go on a family plan. I really saved money every onth and got to add Hotspot where I can set up phone up and use my computer.
Both the wife and me share 10gb and we live on the phone and have never came close to 10gb a month.

Something to think about.
In the long run the unlimited plan may hurt you.
Some carries has said they were gonna discontinue it.
And its making you pay more for new phones.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm on sprint with unlimited everything and I've been upgrading under contract and have not lost my unlimited. Who is your carrier and why are they forcing you to give up unlimited?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It depends on your data needs ... to me $900 for a phone is way less than the monthly cost of my data usage. I would be paying around $900-2k a month in data overage (even if I had the max plan) lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm on sprint with unlimited everything and I've been upgrading under contract and have not lost my unlimited. Who is your carrier and why are they forcing you to give up unlimited?

Posted via the Android Central App

He is talking about Verizon. Added it to the title to prevent confusion.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes... Verizon, been with them long time. Use 10 to 20 gb depending on travel requirements. Sometimes 5 gb if I'm at home working on secured wifi.

Have been on these threads since S6 was talked about months ago. And yes, the refurbished S4 is working well now that the old one was replaced.

VZ offered me 6 gb and on contract with subsidized phone. That's big come down from UDP.

Might just stay on insurance like I've always carried... and replace defective phones with whatever Samsung they have available.

Just asking you folks as you might have better insight than me.

Appreciate.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You could always wait a bit after launch and wait tor the re-sells to hit the Marketplace here or Swappa. You'll be able to get a mint device for less than full retail. I'll probably spring for the S6 Edge and pick up the M9 from Swappa if the camera pans out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You could always wait a bit after launch and wait tor the re-sells to hit the Marketplace here or Swappa. You'll be able to get a mint device for less than full retail. I'll probably spring for the S6 Edge and pick up the M9 from Swappa if the camera pans out.

This is an excellent idea! I would keep an eye out @Climb14er.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Climb14er...how did you get VZW to offer you 6gb and go on contract for a subsidized phone?

I currently have a S4 but want to upgrade to the S6, but since I have unlimited data, the outright cost will probably be astronomical. I'm thinking about going ahead and selling my S4 on Swappa now before the glut of phones hit, but since I sold my last phone (S3) to pay for the S4, will have to revert back to the original Galaxy Fascinate until the new phones become available. However I really need to look at switching -- hubby is transitioning from a company phone to paying for his own and we could go on a shared plan if it was cost beneficial. I've just been extremely reluctant to give up unlimited data...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Climb14er...how did you get VZW to offer you 6gb and go on contract for a subsidized phone?

I currently have a S4 but want to upgrade to the S6, but since I have unlimited data, the outright cost will probably be astronomical. I'm thinking about going ahead and selling my S4 on Swappa now before the glut of phones hit, but since I sold my last phone (S3) to pay for the S4, will have to revert back to the original Galaxy Fascinate until the new phones become available. However I really need to look at switching -- hubby is transitioning from a company phone to paying for his own and we could go on a shared plan if it was cost beneficial. I've just been extremely reluctant to give up unlimited data...

The reps and supervisors offered me 6 gb and subsidized pricing if I switch and give up UDP. I had them put this in my notes. Btw... I've got a business acct... don't know if this matters.

They WANT us to give it up! Making us pay full retail is one way they're pushing us.

The 6gb was a 'teaser' to get me back on contract and pay less for phone.

I, like you and many others... do not want to give up UDP. VZ doesn't like this... but they like the monthly bill we pay and our loyalty. Right?

Good luck... and be firm with them! They want to keep our business... albeit at a higher cost to us.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am soooo confused. I have had a single plan with unlimited data forever, but now that I'm trying to figure what is more cost effective with having to add my husband into the mix, I am thrown for a loop. I just got off the phone with the VZW Loyalty Department but she was of NO HELP...talked so fast that she couldn't even understand herself!

I guess I am confused if it would be better for me to keep my own plan and let him have his own plan, or if we would be better off by going with something like a More Everything Plan and sharing about 6gbs of data...but then when you throw in the added mix of something she called Verizon Edge to further reduce things, she totally lost me. Bottom line is that I want to upgrade to the new S6 and my husband will probably want a new iPhone. I typically keep a phone and upgrade every couple of years, he's been at the whim of his employer as far as upgrades, but he will probably stay on a new phone every 2 years now that he is responsible for his phone.

Any thoughts from someone who has experience in dealing with all of this? They make it so much harder than it needs to be...

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was with Verizon and had unlimited. Needed a new phone, 3 Droid 4's in the last year of using. If you upgrade without saying you're on unlimited, they will kick you off, happened to my cousin who was told it was for life when she first got it, and now she has a huge bill.

I had two choices with Verizon Unlimited. Buy a new phone and add a monthly amount to my contract or pay out right for the new phone. Or buy a used phone. Either way my monthly amount wouldn't go down even though I didn't "upgrade".

A family plan that offers more GB might work for those with more then one person. When I was thinking of upgrading, last I heard you had to ask for 6GB and go to a corporate store. I use up to 10gb a month and sometimes more.Currently I've used 6.2GB and my billing ends on the 15th.

I ended up going to T-Mobile. My dad had it and a coworker had it (both had Samsung Galaxies), so I felt okay with it. They have unlimited. I now pay for my phone in monthly installments added to my bill, which is still less then Verizon. Only time I get lagging or no data is on Sundays. I guess when everyone is home watching Netflix. But that's just maybe once a month. By the way, I had to go to the Verizon store for my account number and the guy, looking at my account, offered me 2 gb and I had used 10gb that month. :D

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

If you call the carrier you are with. You can ask them how much data are you using in a month.
I did . And I was using nowhere I thought I was. Asked if it wouldn't benefit me to go on a family plan. I really saved money every onth and got to add Hotspot where I can set up phone up and use my computer.
Both the wife and me share 10gb and we live on the phone and have never came close to 10gb a month.

Something to think about.
In the long run the unlimited plan may hurt you.
Some carries has said they were gonna discontinue it.
And its making you pay more for new phones.
Who??

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Just be aware that UDP is not a guarantee for life so even if you pay full retail for your phone, don't be surprised at some point if Vz pulls the plug on you (and everyone else with an UDP). Look at your paperwork and you'll see that this is not guaranteed for the future. It just states that that is what you have right now.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I looked at my data use and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and expense to keep unlimited. With available WiFi I think it is difficult to go over 10GB for a plan but that is just music calls and checking email. If you watch a fair amount of movie and YouTube all bets are off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Just be aware that UDP is not a guarantee for life so even if you pay full retail for your phone, don't be surprised at some point if Vz pulls the plug on you (and everyone else with an UDP). Look at your paperwork and you'll see that this is not guaranteed for the future. It just states that that is what you have right now.

That's true. All carriers have that in their contact. They can change any plan at any time. However UDP has been unavailable for 2 years. People are dropping off and I doubt Verizon cares at this point. Since they haven't canceled it, you may not need to worry. If the do stop it, and you've bought a phone outright and don't renew a contact, you can leave Verizon or get a suitable plan for your needs.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
until Best Buy goes out of business, anyone with UDP can continue to upgrade at contract prices and keep UDP.
This is what I plan to do. Although my upgrade isn't until May so if it comes out before then, I'll just buy it full price and then when my upgrade comes around I'll go through Best Buy and just sell that one to recoup the costs.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
There's no more keeping the UDP option at Best Buy. If you buy on any subsidized plan. Went there earlier. Gone away for good.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally if I want a new phone (Galaxy s6 edge to replace HTC M8) I just pay the piper. Then I sell the "old" phone and usually get half or more than what I paid up front. So really I am only paying about half of what a new phone costs. Lost UDP long ago and never really needed it. Don't watch anything on a 5" screen but rather on my 82" DLP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair