S6 radio frequency support for US carriers

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I put this together based on the FCC filings. If you see any errors, please let me know.

Attachments

• S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Carrier spectrum.jpg
    Carrier spectrum.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 313

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they're going to the Turbo way (Verizon that is) ... VoLTE required for voice and data. I believe someone was asking about that... The Note 4 was the last device to have Voice and Data without VoLTE needed right dpham?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they're going to the Turbo way (Verizon that is) ... VoLTE required for voice and data. I believe someone was asking about that... The Note 4 was the last device to have Voice and Data without VoLTE needed right dpham?

Yes, AFAIK, this is the case. I suspect that future Verizon phones will continue this trend as it saves them money.

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This is unfortunate, as it's the same reason (one of the primary ones anyway) that I cancelled my Droid Turbo order. Seeing as I run a business and am frequently in situations where I am on the phone with a client and using the internet (navigation, ordering equipment for the client, etc.), this is essentially a deal-breaker for me, at least until VoLTE becomes more reliable and there is no reason to continue using CDMA.

Guess I'm sticking with the S4 still for the near future...

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
First, I have to say, dpham00 is a most excellent individual for putting that together.
And, Almeuit, that was me mentioning this in the thread you had participated in.

I'm absolutely horrified by this development.

My RMHD has sustained me even today as I've rode shotgun, talking and hotspotting my laptop literally all day from Flint, MI to Kalamazoo.

Can't do that with anything new. Seems bizarre to even say that.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is unfortunate, as it's the same reason (one of the primary ones anyway) that I cancelled my Droid Turbo order. Seeing as I run a business and am frequently in situations where I am on the phone with a client and using the internet (navigation, ordering equipment for the client, etc.), this is essentially a deal-breaker for me, at least until VoLTE becomes more reliable and there is no reason to continue using CDMA.

Guess I'm sticking with the S4 still for the near future...
I am in the exact same situation with my business. I guess I will stick with the note 4 until Verizon gets all the bugs worked out of volte. what a huge bummer. I was really hoping Samsung wouldn't go this route

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am in the exact same situation with my business. I guess I will stick with the note 4 until Verizon gets all the bugs worked out of volte. what a huge bummer. I was really hoping Samsung wouldn't go this route

I don't think it is Samsung causing them to go down this route .. It is Verizon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone that understands all of this say how well it is set up for TMobile?

T-Mobile is fine. GSM (HSPA) can handle voice and data with one radio .. so we are fine. Verizon has an issue since CDMA can only handle a call, or data -- not both. That is why they need VoLTE to use the LTE for voice + data at the same time.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is fine. GSM (HSPA) can handle voice and data with one radio .. so we are fine. Verizon has an issue since CDMA can only handle a call, or data -- not both. That is why they need VoLTE to use the LTE for voice + data at the same time.

your probably right . but to me its a step back from what we had.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
your probably right . but to me its a step back from what we had.

Verizon did it for at least these 2 reasons.

1 - It is cheaper to make the phone

2 - They want everyone to shift to VoLTE. This way they can eventually (not for years to come I am sure) shut down the CDMA network.

road_kill

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
May i ask how, i mean when i had sprint with the palm pre i was able to do voice+data on that device so i dont see how it cant be done. Just saying :)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess I don't get this whole thing, my GS3 can handle call and I can look up stuff on the internet at the same time...you mean the S6 can't?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
May i ask how, i mean when i had sprint with the palm pre i was able to do voice+data on that device so i dont see how it cant be done. Just saying :)

I guess I don't get this whole thing, my GS3 can handle call and I can look up stuff on the internet at the same time...you mean the S6 can't?

Easy.

The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio .. because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now a days they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) and .. data will be data. So it is technically then all data.

Make sense? :).

road_kill

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Easy.

The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio .. because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now a days they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) and .. data will be data. So it is technically then all data.

Make sense? :).

Yep.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is "they" Verizon, Samsung?

I can almost say with certainty that Verizon is telling Samsung to remove it so they can push people to VoLTE -- and Samsung will listen since they want their phone to be approved on Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
First, I have to say, dpham00 is a most excellent individual for putting that together.
And, Almeuit, that was me mentioning this in the thread you had participated in.

I'm absolutely horrified by this development.

My RMHD has sustained me even today as I've rode shotgun, talking and hotspotting my laptop literally all day from Flint, MI to Kalamazoo.

Can't do that with anything new. Seems bizarre to even say that.
Best bet would be the note 4, if you need svlte.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles