I'm wondering how many fingerprints can the S6 save. I'd like to be able to save both my thumbs and index fingers as I think I would use those the most. I'd also like to have my wife store at least her thumbprint so should could get in as well. I haven't seen any mention of this yet and I believe at least the iPad 2 Air can save 10 fingers.
    03-05-2015 02:05 PM
    I'm wondering how many fingerprints can the S6 save. I'd like to be able to save both my thumbs and index fingers as I think I would use those the most. I'd also like to have my wife store at least her thumbprint so should could get in as well. I haven't seen any mention of this yet and I believe at least the iPad 2 Air can save 10 fingers.
    The iPad Air 2 can have 5 fingerprints saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-05-2015 02:27 PM
    The iPad Air 2 can have 5 fingerprints saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought it was more since my wife actually let me store one of my prints on it.
    03-05-2015 02:35 PM
    So i read the title and thought this was a "pun" thread of some kind since now both the front and back were made of glass and will most likely ridden with finger prints.

But i'm hoping a few. I'd love to try it out especially if each finger could access something different upon unlock.

EX. Index = Home Screen. Middle = Text app, Ring = Email, Pinky = Chrome

That would be cool
    03-05-2015 03:12 PM
    LOL, I wasnt even going to look at this thread because I thought the title was referring to the phone being a finger print magnet! Anyway, I would also like to know how many prints the phone will hold, I still don't know the answer but in this video at the 1:53 mark there is one registered print and an option to add another. So it will hold at least 2!

deeb215 and unashamedgeek like this.
    03-05-2015 05:43 PM
    Seems faster than the iPhone 6 on the fingerprint part.
    03-05-2015 08:24 PM
    I'm happy to know that at least two can be stored.

I started this thread and I guess I should have put in the title something about it not being a troll thread. I couldn't care less if the device gets fingerprints on it, if it really bothers me they have cases and skins.
    03-06-2015 08:21 AM
    My Galaxy Alpha can save 3. I hope the S6 can store more than that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-06-2015 08:38 AM
    Despite the change in the fingerprint sensor, how is it secured and stored? I know that they are stored digitally or a some sort of token? One of the reasons I passed on the GS5 was my concern for security. Once someone gets your fingerprint, it would be difficult to disprove with a merchant or bank. I would love to stop carrying a physical wallet and go totally digital.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-07-2015 12:42 PM
    The S6 can save hundreds of fingerprints.... all clearly visible on the glass back. Every photo or video that I saw showed lots and lots of fingerprints on the back, so I guess S6 owners need to wear gloves or wash their hands prior to use?
    Hahaha that was the smartest trolling I've heard on the galaxy s6 forum so far.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    03-07-2015 01:02 PM
    I wonder if anyone has ever tried to hack the fingerprint scanner on the iphone and soon on the S6 by taking thumb prints off the bottom of the phone near the home button. I'd imagine there are very clear prints on that smooth surface that could be lifted with tape and transferred to another media to try to fool the scanner. Based on the one mythbusters episode where they fool some print scanners, I'd say it's doable.
    03-08-2015 09:08 AM
    It's only a matter of time before a way to defeat the fingerprint encryption. No has yet to answer how fingerprint security is going to work on the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-08-2015 11:39 AM
    or a group of hackers to figure out how to collect the fingerprings of EVERYBODY who owns a smartphone with fingerprint scanning. how hard can it really be? all the fingerprints are saved on the phone. the phone is connected to the internet. the internet is connected to Russia or China. It's only a matter of time.

worse yet, perhaps the NSA has already implemented this and is actively collecting fingerprints around the world. one scenario... they have the fingerprint of some terrorist. the NSA matches the fingerprint to its database of fingerprints secretly collected from ALL smartphones in the world. the location of the terrorist can be easily identified within seconds. (another half hour to send a drone to his/her house?)

Tin foil hat off.
    China and Russia aren't the only nexus for hacking. Skimmers get data off ATMs and POS terminals all the time.
    03-08-2015 01:11 PM
    or a group of hackers to figure out how to collect the fingerprings of EVERYBODY who owns a smartphone with fingerprint scanning. how hard can it really be? all the fingerprints are saved on the phone. the phone is connected to the internet. the internet is connected to Russia or China. It's only a matter of time.

worse yet, perhaps the NSA has already implemented this and is actively collecting fingerprints around the world. one scenario... they have the fingerprint of some terrorist. the NSA matches the fingerprint to its database of fingerprints secretly collected from ALL smartphones in the world. the location of the terrorist can be easily identified within seconds. (another half hour to send a drone to his/her house?)

Tin foil hat off.
    I will start off saying that I don't know how Samsung is storing/using the fingerprint data, but I do know in general how a number of fingerprint systems work. They don't typically actually store your fingerprint, but instead pick out a number of specific points of your fingerprint. That information is then run through an algorithm that includes creating a one-way hash and that hash is what gets stored. Then when it attempts to read your fingerprint, it pulls from the same data points, runs it through the algorithm, and compares it to the saved hash. This hash is one-way which means if the hash were to be compromised, your fingerprint couldn't be recreated from it; however, your phone would still be compromised.

That is assuming things are implemented properly and securely. The weaknesses come in with things like does the scanner check for body heat, how many data points are being tested (1 data point could be easily defeated, 200 data points is much harder to defeat, but more open to failing when a valid print is used), etc.
    03-09-2015 08:34 AM
    It can support upto 4 fingerprint
    07-04-2016 08:06 AM