Debating Whether to Sell my S4 Prior to Release of S6

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't decide if I want to gamble and sell my S4 ahead of the S6 release. I sold my S3 to pay for my S4, decided against the S5 to wait for the S6. However, if I sell my S4 now...how long will I really end up waiting for Verizon to release the phone...all the while having to revert back to the original Galaxy S phone (Fascinate) I still have... I am a grandfathered unlimited data holdout on Verizon, so I have to pony up and full price for a phone.

Decisions, decisions...

What is everyone else doing?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
While there is no way to tell when the Red Devil will actually release, I'm betting since they are starting pre-orders on April 1st, they are going to release on the 10th - right in line to what Sammy has said.

Now, that being said, once the S6 releases, the market will flood with everything to include the S3, S4 and S5's and other makes and models. If you can sell now, do it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Also consider it's not a bad idea to have a decent spare smartphone. You may want to consider just keeping the S4.

♻from the Note III🍶

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
yeah, keep it for now.

I can understand selling of s5 before s6 arrives, because the price will be affected, for s4, there is little to no effect, since its already quite low.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am planning on selling my GS4 to Best Buy or the AT&T third-party reseller. Last time we got a better price from Best Buy when we got a fruit based phone for my son who got fed up with his GS4 which he felt lagged too much and wasn't up to his expectations.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on selling my GS4 to Best Buy or the AT&T third-party reseller. Last time we got a better price from Best Buy when we got a fruit based phone for my son who got fed up with his GS4 which he felt lagged too much and wasn't up to his expectations.

Swappa!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I could kick myself for the drawer full of dead phones. Planning on selling my old BB slider as well. The sale of the old device the same day as getting the GS6 as I have only one daily driver. Don't forget to back up the device and remove expandable storage. Factory reset and charge it. Bring the device and charger to third-party seller.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Believe it or not I miss my bb slider lol, so did best buy actually buy back your phone? Did they give you a fair price?

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not I miss my bb slider lol, so did best buy actually buy back your phone? Did they give you a fair price?

Posted via the Android Central App

Unfortunately that answer will have to wait as my upgrade opportunity is a week after the release. I believe that since we have been customers for 20 years with AT&T, I may be able to get it on release. When we got my son's phone, we got a great price from Best Buy for my wife's iPhone 4s.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Well it's a done deal...I sold my S4 today and shipped it out to the buyer.

Until the S6 comes out I am stuck using my original Galaxy S (Fascinate) phone which was reactivated today. It is going to be a loooong wait I fear...

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Until the S6 comes out I am stuck using my original Galaxy S (Fascinate) phone which was reactivated today. It is going to be a loooong wait I fear...

mind telling us the price? approximately?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

You poor soul. I would rather use AT&T and Best Buy as I can resell and buy the same day.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I sold my phone for $250 on Swappa....looks like there is already starting to be a glut of phones on there. To the poster who said they would use AT&T/Best Buy and sell the same day, just don't see how you can get that much $$$ doing it that way. I realize I am in different position from some since I will have to pay for my phone upfront to keep the VZW UDP, but if this phone is going to be as expensive as I fear it might, better to recoup something from S4 to use toward the new phone than wait until its value drops even more...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I sold my phone for $250 on Swappa....looks like there is already starting to be a glut of phones on there. To the poster who said they would use AT&T/Best Buy and sell the same day, just don't see how you can get that much $$$ doing it that way. I realize I am in different position from some since I will have to pay for my phone upfront to keep the VZW UDP, but if this phone is going to be as expensive as I fear it might, better to recoup something from S4 to use toward the new phone than wait until its value drops even more...

Mine is probably more convenience than anything else. I will take a look at other sites but I am a bit ambivalent as I can but don't want to do without a deivce.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
And that convenience is costing you money.

Convenience always has a price. Our family situation necessitates that each member have a phone. Buying a burn phone as a stop gap measure might outweigh the convenience premium.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just for humor sake I checked Best Buy's trade in calculator for the A&TT S4 Black in "good" condition and fully reset, they offered $75. For $75 I would keep it as a spare phone or gaming or media player for kids in the car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol