Samsung Galaxy S6 The headphone port has finally moved to the bottom

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: One feature new to the Galaxy S6 model that no one is talking about

For you wired fans, there are the Bose QC20 earbuds that I use at the office.

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the link!

What do you think of the headphones so far? I'm no audiophile too so your experience would be relatable. I could barely find any reviews of it on YouTube.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

They're remarkable, especially so for the price. They paired in a snap and I've never had to re-pair them since. They connect as soon as you turn the headphones on, and I typically use them for three or four days between charges. The best part is that the mic is right under your jaw, so the sound quality on calls is fantastic, even better than wired headphones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I personally prefer it on the top.

Note that I said "personally". It's perfect for me, but might not be for you.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I personally prefer it on the top.

Note that I said "personally". It's perfect for me, but might not be for you.
It would be nice to see two rows of machine drilled holes for a top-mounted speaker resulting in great stero sound. So glad now for the aluminum unibody for what it makes possible going forward.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I don't think engineering department puts much thought into things like this. Viewed from am engineer's perspective.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

They absolutely do think about this. In fact, there are entire companies built around making sure mics in devices work properly and cancel out unwanted noise.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

They absolutely do think about this. In fact, there are entire companies built around making sure mics in devices work properly and cancel out unwanted noise.

Samsung isn't known for quality mic on phones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Samsung isn't known for quality mic on phones.

Having had a few Samsung phones I can't say that mic quality has ever been bad for me.

Besides, the specific issue that was brought up was "the other person hearing themselves" due to the proximity of the mic and speaker. I have definitely NOT had that happen on a Samsung before. Maybe others have.....

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Having had a few Samsung phones I can't say that mic quality has ever been bad for me.

Besides, the specific issue that was brought up was "the other person hearing themselves" due to the proximity of the mic and speaker. I have definitely NOT had that happen on a Samsung before. Maybe others have.....

Never had an issue either.

Marzzo66p

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I have had the S3&S4 but was not into the S5,but I have to say that all your phones I buy over the last year or two were the 3.5mm jack is,or has been, on top of each phone, as I prefer it that way, now that the S6 is showing in previews and videos,I like the looks and spec's of the S6,as the phone and tablets I have are the nexus5, and nexus7 and are Qi Compatible, so most of the bloat of the S6,is taken out by Samsung,and it is 1of the top 3 phones I am thinking about buying the LGG4,is the second phone, and the 3d is the premium LG phone out by august or second half of this year!?

Posted via the Android Central App

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

Never had issues with the mic.
However, one time the other party said they couldn't hear me. I googled bad mic note 2, and the solution was to take a pin and slightly poke the mic hole.
Yep, it was plugged.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

It's new for the s6 because they moved the speaker to the bottom and now it's right next to the microphone. That's why I brought it up. Before now, the speaker has been on the back side.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's new for the s6 because they moved the speaker to the bottom and now it's right next to the microphone. That's why I brought it up. Before now, the speaker has been on the back side.

How many complaints have you heard about the iPhone 6/6+? The mic isn't that much farther away. The 5s is in the same boat. I'm not seeing any real complaints.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Big difference but what do I know.

Attachments

• 1425953075129.jpg
    1425953075129.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 22

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Big difference but what do I know.

Two rows of speaker grill. Better place than the back. I like having the charging port, headphone jack and external speaker as well as mic on the bottom. It gives the phone an overall cleaner, more unified look.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I do too I am pumped they moved the speaker to the bottom I just asked if having the speaker that close to the mic would hurt. 😂

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I do too I am pumped they moved the speaker to the bottom I just asked if having the speaker that close to the mic would hurt. ??????
I don't see the conflict. Play music. External speaker. Phone on speaker phone. mic. My point is that the design unification is not restricted to the slimmed down TouchWiz with the unfied color scheme for call and for texts as an example.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

So you think that little bit of extra distance would make a huge difference? The speaker is loud enough to be heard on any part of the phone at any given time. The G3, for example, has a 1 watt speaker that gets pretty darn loud. Never had issues with it. The M7/M8 have front facing stereo speakers that are also pretty loud, again no issues. The S5 was measured to have a pretty loud speaker too IIRC.

Phone speakers are loud enough when used to be heard by you, and you're a few feet away. Even on the largest phones the mic is only ~6" away from the speaker at most. Looking at it from that perspective leads me to believe that it will not be an issue at all (actually, I went from maybe a little bit of a possibility to doesn't seem like a possibility at all​).