Samsung Galaxy S6 The headphone port has finally moved to the bottom

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The headphone port has finally moved to the bottom. I had an ipod which was my music device until I moved to a HTC One device where the headphone port is at the top. Everytime I put my phone in to my pocket, I had to flip my hand and put it top first and always had to be careful where putting it in because of the headphone wire. Now that the Galaxy S6 has put the headphone port on the bottom, it is much more natural for my hand movement and easier to put in to my pockets. Even the Note 4 which is what I am considering does not have the port on the bottom.

Not only did Samsung get the design right, their placement of the headphone port has gotten ideal for a lot more users.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: One feature new to the Galaxy S6 model that no one is talking about

Of course, if you shove the phone into your pocket, you'll break the plug. If you use a flat plug, the bottom of your pocket is going to keep moving the wire, eventually breaking it. The top is the better place for it. That was a design decision made about 35 years ago, and it's still valid.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The headphone port has finally moved to the bottom. I had an ipod which was my music device until I moved to a HTC One device where the headphone port is at the top. Everytime I put my phone in to my pocket, I had to flip my hand and put it top first and always had to be careful where putting it in because of the headphone wire. Now that the Galaxy S6 has put the headphone port on the bottom, it is much more natural for my hand movement and easier to put in to my pockets. Even the Note 4 which is what I am considering does not have the port on the bottom.

Not only did Samsung get the design right, their placement of the headphone port has gotten ideal for a lot more users.
It's on the bottom because that's where it is on the iPhone.

jk

♻from the Note III🍶

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Of course, if you shove the phone into your pocket, you'll break the plug. If you use a flat plug, the bottom of your pocket is going to keep moving the wire, eventually breaking it. The top is the better place for it. That was a design decision made about 35 years ago, and it's still valid.

Are you sure?

People hold their phones at the bottom because they need to have access to the home and other buttons with their thumbs. Since the hand is already at the bottom, one can just slide the phone in with the top part of the phone going straight in to the pocket being untouched and then the hand at the bottom of the phone nudges the full phone in to the pocket. If the button is on top(this is what I do now) I have to first adjust my hand so it is on the top of the phone instead of being on bottom, then I have to use the other hand to reach in to my pocket and then create space for my phone to go in bottom first.

Since I have had my current phone for more than two years now, I have gotten used to this cumbersome way to put my phone in but I am excited that I am finally able to go back to the ways of the past when one hand and less movement can get my hand in to the pocket.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

I actually prefer it on the top.
But that's only because the dash holder in my car covers the bottom.
I guess I could just turn the phone upsidedown and the screen would rotate anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

The Galaxy nexus had it on the bottom a few years ago, and I liked it. I put my phone it my pocket top down, so for me it's more natural to have the port on the bottom. Due to the way I put my phone in my pocket, I will also get less lint in the port, which has in the past occasionally caused connection problems with headphones .

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

People get used to these things very quickly.

@T-Mobile GN3

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

People get used to these things very quickly.

@T-Mobile GN3

If this is true, why all the moaning and complaining about the non-removable battery and lack of SD Card? :D

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

If this is true, why all the moaning and complaining about the non-removable battery and lack of SD Card? :D

because loss of major functions can't be overcome by "getting used to"?

you asked, so don't blame others for discussing battery and sd card slot again :)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

because loss of major functions can't be overcome by "getting used to"?

you asked, so don't blame others for discussing battery and sd card slot again :)

I don't blame others but I do find it amusing that the battery and sd card is causing such an uproar.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Ergonomically, the bottom is the best place, especially when the speaker is also there. The phone should go into the pocket top first, so the speaker points towards your ears instead of your feet. Then the headphone port is up towards the open pocket.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Ergonomically, the bottom is the best place, especially when the speaker is also there. The phone should go into the pocket top first, so the speaker points towards your ears instead of your feet. Then the headphone port is up towards the open pocket.

Good point. Or go wireless.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Having unified all the major ports as well as relocating speaker grill is a great idea. It gives the device a cleaner look. The speaker grill with two rows not one of machine-drilled holes will hopefully lead to better volume output and base response. I can't tell you how many times I have asked someone to speak when using the speaker phone or listening to a video. The sound quality was muffled and tinny sounding.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Two words: Bluetooth headphones.

Good point. I have some but the price differential might be a bit much for some. I use BT in my vehicle. It's great.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

There are BT headphones on Amazon for $12 shipped. They are rebadged LG HV-800's.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

There are BT headphones on Amazon for $12 shipped. They are rebadged LG HV-800's.

Sounds like a bargain. I prefer to spend a little more and also get noise cancelling as well. Sennheiser makes a great one for the business traveler as well as Beats which I have not tried.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Never liked BT headphones, the sound quality just isn't quite there in most of them. BT speakers always have a little bit of a delay too, noticeable when watching movies, though the better ones aren't quite as bad. But generally I'd rather use wired headphones. Mostly because I've got a set of Xiaomi Pistons that few BT headphones can match. :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Never liked BT headphones, the sound quality just isn't quite there in most of them. BT speakers always have a little bit of a delay too, noticeable when watching movies, though the better ones aren't quite as bad. But generally I'd rather use wired headphones. Mostly because I've got a set of Xiaomi Pistons that few BT headphones can match. :)

Have you tried Sennheiser or Beats?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Do BT headphones trail in sound quality to the best wired headphones? Yes. Is there audio delay when watching videos? Yes. Do the blinking lights scream, "NERD!"? Absolutely. But not being tethered trumps all of those things for me. Plus, most video players have audio offsets to compensate for the delay. I'll never go back to wired.