What's the S6 got the others don't?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be worried about the battery absorbing the impact instead though...busted battery leaking caustic chemicals all over the phone = bad scene.

Good point. Carry the external chargers and get a rugged case. Although for limited models, I believe Otterbox has a case similar to the Mophie Juicepack cases. With Otterbox I would feel more confident in its impact protection.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the fascination that very few people have with removable batteries. There are external chargers the size of a credit card that can charge your phone all the way in about an hour. It's more convenient to use those than to dismantle and reassemble the back of your phone and battery. OEM's aren't in the business for making phones/options for the vast minority. That's why the two biggest phone manufacturers have done away with removable batteries.

I'm not against people having options but I also think that people should realize when there is a solution just as convenient out there..

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the fascination that very few people have with removable batteries. There are external chargers the size of a credit card that can charge your phone all the way in about an hour. It's more convenient to use those than to dismantle and reassemble the back of your phone and battery. OEM's aren't in the business for making phones/options for the vast minority. That's why the two biggest phone manufacturers have done away with removable batteries.

I'm not against people having options but I also think that people should realize when there is a solution just as convenient out there..

Exactly. Could not have said it better myself. I'm perplexed as well. Maybe when you are so set in your ways that it's difficult to adapt. They need to get past the mental wall that comforts them.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Could not have said it better myself. I'm perplexed as well. Maybe when you are so set in your ways that it's difficult to adapt. They need to get past the mental wall that comforts them.

I used removable batteries intermittently when I had a galaxy nexus but that's because there wasn't as much quality and variety of external chargers as there is today. I understand that there are some people who may have a real use for removable batteries but it's just not a viable solution to the average user..

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I used removable batteries intermittently when I had a galaxy nexus but that's because there wasn't as much quality and variety of external chargers as there is today. I understand that there are some people who may have a real use for removable batteries but it's just not a viable solution to the average user..

What brand is the credit card sized one?

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be worried about the battery absorbing the impact instead though...busted battery leaking caustic chemicals all over the phone = bad scene.

Caustic chemicals? Yeah that's a problem too - but I'd be more worried that a Lithium Ion battery bursts into flames upon exposure of the innards to air. That's why they won't allow Lithium Ion batteries to be shipped by air - though plenty of devices with Lithium Ion are carried on planes or in luggage. Suppose they figure the device generally protects the battery.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The M9 has so many drawbacks it's not even in the conversation. Assuming it's at least the same size as the G3, the G4 screen will be too large for comfortable one handed use. The Z4 is typically not available for CDMA carriers. The iPhone? Yuck. Whatever issues I have with the S6 (mainly the glass back), it's basically my only option other than sticking with the S5.

I won't miss the SD card too much because I use my tablet for games and video, and I'd rather have 32gb on board standard because I am struggling with only 16gb on the S5. I will miss the swappable battery, but it's worth having a smaller and thinner form factor with built-in wireless charging. The S4 was the absolute perfect size, and after10 months, I still think the S5 is a skosh too big. The S6 is closer to the S4 in size, so that will be a huge plus. A 2mm reduction in width doesn't sound like much, but you can totally feel it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Unobtainability, and therefore fascination and awe.

In three months people will be griping or cooing, impressed or unimpressed, or wondering how to do things on an S6 they achieved differently before.

In a year they will be saying the S7 has lost features that made the S6 so great.

I am getting old! :-\

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The S6 has a 2550mAh the S6 Edge has a 2600mAh

If memory serves, the topic may have related to external charging devices when you don't have access to a wall plug as opposed to removing a case, the back cover, swap a battery, replace the back cover and case as opposed to the charger.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow very busy now i have delved further into this device
From a S5 then it still is not worth going to
From a S4 then yes
But people are still saying there not bothered about the Battery well many iphone users no re sale value is a issue
Apple charge £125 for the battery out of warrenty to be changed
now in the S6 manual it telles you how to change the battery by taking the phone in bits so if you could get a battery and you were electronic savey it could be don but how does the person no its been replaced, this has left many people buying a iphone second hand down harted as they were conned
the S5 also has water proofing and stopped for samsung the water ingress issues
the S6 has no water proofing
i don't need a bolt on charger i just change the battery
as for the looks even samsung has come out with a range of protective covers to save the phone if its dropped, so what is the point of the design
if were going to cover this
Imaging the S6 with a removerble battery a sd water proofed and the edge screen and the rest of the S6 specs, Now were talking !!
samsung has removed alot of its bloated apps the question is why ???possible memory use
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7N6UVi_Mg

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
so what is the point of the design
if were going to cover this
Imaging the S6 with a removerble battery a sd water proofed and the edge screen and the rest of the S6 specs,

What's the point of any design if it's going to get a case? Apparently people care because it drives sales...because you don't care doesn't mean is not a valid business strategy.

Water proofing? I don't care...I won't read my phone while I'm whizzing. Don't care about the other stuff either. Don't care about resale too, nobody would buy one of my abused phones anyway.

Sooo...bottom line, what's best for you isn't the same for someone else.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What's the point of any design if it's going to get a case? Apparently people care because it drives sales...because you don't care doesn't mean is not a valid business strategy.

Water proofing? I don't care...I won't read my phone while I'm whizzing. Don't care about the other stuff either. Don't care about resale too, nobody would buy one of my abused phones anyway.

Sooo...bottom line, what's best for you isn't the same for someone else.
They might be happy with the rumored Active version but I am betting that the design choices will be scaled back.