Power bank for Galaxy S6

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am sure more that 60% will need a Power Bank for there phones

After you get your GS6, Please do mention which Power Bank you got
& how long does it take you to charge the phone fully drained

hoping to get one that charges the phone within 2hrs :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) NEVER fully drain the battery. Unless it's impossible, don't let it drop below 40%. Replacing the battery in an S6 isn't a $15 affair - you'll pay more than that just for the labor. Drain the battery all the way every time and you'll be replacing it in 6 months. (That's how lithium battries work. You want one you can drain all the way? You'll need a lead-acid battery - a storage battery of the type used in cars. One large enough for a cellphone weighs pounds.)

2) As long as the source of power - wall, power bank, tamed lightning - can supply as much current as the phone draws, it charges in the same amount of time. You don't push more current into the phone by using a larger power bank - electricity doesn't work that way. (At least it didn't back when I got my electrical engineering degree, and I haven't read about anyone discovering a new kind of electricity.) The phone draws what it's designed to draw. Put it on a 500,000mAh power bank and it'll charge just as fast as from a 5,000mAh power bank. The larger the power bank capacity, the more times you can charge the phone before having to charge the power bank (which you also shouldn't drop below 40% of its capacity), but the larger it is, the longer it usually takes to charge. (The ones with built-in chargers that are designed for a 1C charge, will all recharge in the same amount of time, regardless of their capacity - about 60 minutes. But if you're recharging a 10,000mAh power bank with a 2 Amp charger, it's going to take a minimum of about 4.5 hours if you charge it from 40%. A 10 Amp battery, with a 75% charging efficiency, needing a 6 Amp-hour charge, being charged at a 2 Amp rate equals 4.5 hours. 3rd grade arithmetic. Or do they wait until 4th grade to teach division?)

If the phone charges in 2 hours, the power bank will charge it in 2 hours. If the phone charges in 3 hours, the only way to put enough power into the phone in 2 hours would be to raise the voltage of the charger. But then you don't have an S6, you have a burned out phone. Again, Electricity 101. The power bank can't change the effective resistance of the phone, and that's what determines how much current it draws (which equates to how fast it charges - assuming that the phone is off; if it's on, running enough stuff [like a really weak phone signal and the screen turned up all the way] so it's using 1000mA, and it can only draw 1200mA, it's charging at a 200mA rate [0.2 Amps]) - and no power bank in the world is going to change that. (My phone charges just as fast from the 2 Amp OEM wall charger as it does from my 30 Amp bench supply. It draws 1200mA in either case. That's how it's designed. I could put it on a 500 Amp supply and it would still take the same time.)

Your house is a 200 Amp supply, but a 100 Watt light bulb still draws a little under 1 Amp. Connect it to a 5,000 Amp supply and it'll draw the same current. Put it on a 220 Volt supply and it'll draw 2 Amps? No, it'll act like a flash bulb. POP! (You'll actually hear that.) Then it'll be a burned out light bulb. A buck shot in an experiment. Put 10 Volts on your phone and it gets a little more expensive. What's the retail price going to be? $700? $800?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if there were one that supported Quick charge 2.0. I saw that there was one out that supported it but you have to buy it in bulk unfortunately.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
1) NEVER fully drain the battery. Unless it's impossible, don't let it drop below 40%. Replacing the battery in an S6 isn't a $15 affair - you'll pay more than that just for the labor. Drain the battery all the way every time and you'll be replacing it in 6 months. (That's how lithium battries work. You want one you can drain all the way? You'll need a lead-acid battery - a storage battery of the type used in cars. One large enough for a cellphone weighs pounds.)

2) As long as the source of power - wall, power bank, tamed lightning - can supply as much current as the phone draws, it charges in the same amount of time. You don't push more current into the phone by using a larger power bank - electricity doesn't work that way. (At least it didn't back when I got my electrical engineering degree, and I haven't read about anyone discovering a new kind of electricity.) The phone draws what it's designed to draw. Put it on a 500,000mAh power bank and it'll charge just as fast as from a 5,000mAh power bank. The larger the power bank capacity, the more times you can charge the phone before having to charge the power bank (which you also shouldn't drop below 40% of its capacity), but the larger it is, the longer it usually takes to charge. (The ones with built-in chargers that are designed for a 1C charge, will all recharge in the same amount of time, regardless of their capacity - about 60 minutes. But if you're recharging a 10,000mAh power bank with a 2 Amp charger, it's going to take a minimum of about 4.5 hours if you charge it from 40%. A 10 Amp battery, with a 75% charging efficiency, needing a 6 Amp-hour charge, being charged at a 2 Amp rate equals 4.5 hours. 3rd grade arithmetic. Or do they wait until 4th grade to teach division?)

If the phone charges in 2 hours, the power bank will charge it in 2 hours. If the phone charges in 3 hours, the only way to put enough power into the phone in 2 hours would be to raise the voltage of the charger. But then you don't have an S6, you have a burned out phone. Again, Electricity 101. The power bank can't change the effective resistance of the phone, and that's what determines how much current it draws (which equates to how fast it charges - assuming that the phone is off; if it's on, running enough stuff [like a really weak phone signal and the screen turned up all the way] so it's using 1000mA, and it can only draw 1200mA, it's charging at a 200mA rate [0.2 Amps]) - and no power bank in the world is going to change that. (My phone charges just as fast from the 2 Amp OEM wall charger as it does from my 30 Amp bench supply. It draws 1200mA in either case. That's how it's designed. I could put it on a 500 Amp supply and it would still take the same time.)

Your house is a 200 Amp supply, but a 100 Watt light bulb still draws a little under 1 Amp. Connect it to a 5,000 Amp supply and it'll draw the same current. Put it on a 220 Volt supply and it'll draw 2 Amps? No, it'll act like a flash bulb. POP! (You'll actually hear that.) Then it'll be a burned out light bulb. A buck shot in an experiment. Put 10 Volts on your phone and it gets a little more expensive. What's the retail price going to be? $700? $800?

Can we make this a sticky?

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Can you explain not charging below 40%? I've heard that but also heard you should try to limit the number of charging cycles which seems to run counter to this. Might make me reconsider what I consider an all day battery if you need to really consider 50% or so drained and needing to be on a charger. Thanks in advance.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you explain not charging below 40%? I've heard that but also heard you should try to limit the number of charging cycles which seems to run counter to this. Might make me reconsider what I consider an all day battery if you need to really consider 50% or so drained and needing to be on a charger. Thanks in advance.

Charge cycle is not number of times you charge it. An partial discharge and recharge is not one cycle.

@T-Mobile GN3

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Charge cycle is not number of times you charge it. An partial discharge and recharge is not one cycle.

@T-Mobile GN3

What constitutes a charge cycle then? And how many per battery? I've heard 300 - 500 cycles before the battery starts to degrade.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
What constitutes a charge cycle then? And how many per battery? I've heard 300 - 500 cycles before the battery starts to degrade.

A charge cycle is a full charge from almost empty. So 5x charches from 80% to 100% (20% charge X 5 = 100%) would be one charge cycle.

I always plug my phone in whenever I can, esp if it's going to be more than 15 minutes. I'd rather do a few top up charges rather then a longer charge (which I don't night regardless). I don't have a desk job so if I have a few minutes where I can charge I take advantage of it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

There is actually no clear answer to the definition of charge cycle, although above post makes alot of sense. Still, use and understand the concept of DoD (depth of discharge). read here Battery Discharge Methods – Battery University .

300-500 is commonly seen, but it does not mean battery is always good until 300-500 cycle runs out, as the battery capacity is always continuously degrading.

The number means, after 300-500 full discharge cycles, battery capacity reaches a predetermined threshold, which is normally 75% of original charge. read here How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Note, 300-500 is based on assumption of normal usage, you can actually increase that number, by following the link above. I have a write up here as well http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...w-realy-really-prolong-your-battery-life.html

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There is actually no clear answer to the definition of charge cycle, although above post makes alot of sense. Still, use and understand the concept of DoD (depth of discharge). read here Battery Discharge Methods – Battery University .

300-500 is commonly seen, but it does not mean battery is always good until 300-500 cycle runs out, as the battery capacity is always continuously degrading.

The number means, after 300-500 full discharge cycles, battery capacity reaches a predetermined threshold, which is normally 75% of original charge. read here How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Note, 300-500 is based on assumption of normal usage, you can actually increase that number, by following the link above. I have a write up here as well http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...w-realy-really-prolong-your-battery-life.html

Thank you, I'm going to read these. Very helpful...

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Thank+ that was very helpful :)

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Some interesting and insightful stuff posted here, thanks guys. But I'm still a little unclear as to what is good and what is bad for the battery? I see that draining it down to 0 is bad and keeping it between 30-80% is optimal, but what about for those of that want to go to 100%? Is it bad to leave the phone plugged in at 100% all night? Would it be better to leave my phone uncharged at night and then just charge it when I get to work and keep it in that 30-80% range when possible?

Obviously there are times when I'll be gone all day and will leave it on the charger all night so I can be at 100% in case I need the full battery the next day, but when I can, am I correct in reading that I shouldn't charge to 100% and if I do charge to 100% it is bad to leave the phone plugged in while its at 100%?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am sure more that 60% will need a Power Bank for there phones

After you get your GS6, Please do mention which Power Bank you got
& how long does it take you to charge the phone fully drained

hoping to get one that charges the phone within 2hrs :)

60%? I am curious where you got that number.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
1) NEVER fully drain the battery. Unless it's impossible, don't let it drop below 40%. Replacing the battery in an S6 isn't a $15 affair - you'll pay more than that just for the labor. Drain the battery all the way every time and you'll be replacing it in 6 months. (That's how lithium battries work. You want one you can drain all the way? You'll need a lead-acid battery - a storage battery of the type used in cars. One large enough for a cellphone weighs pounds.

Here we go with this again... I never understood this argument. I always let my phones drain to 10% or under... usually not necessarily by choice, just because that's what it ends up being when I go to bed at night. I always plug my phone in @ bed and charge over night. I have never once needed to replace any of my phone batteries, nor have I ever had any issue with my batteries holding a charge. The only problem I've ever had was a broken usb port, and that was due being stepped on. Basically, I very rarely see people with this actual issue, more just people freaking out over it for no reason...

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

There are so many theories on this idk what to believe...I here don't drain, I hear drain fully

Gorilla Gadgets say drain to 5% before filling up
Extended Battery

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Here we go with this again... I never understood this argument. I always let my phones drain to 10% or under... usually not necessarily by choice, just because that's what it ends up being when I go to bed at night. I always plug my phone in @ bed and charge over night. I have never once needed to replace any of my phone batteries, nor have I ever had any issue with my batteries holding a charge. The only problem I've ever had was a broken usb port, and that was due being stepped on. Basically, I very rarely see people with this actual issue, more just people freaking out over it for no reason...

I am unsure fact will change whether you understand or not. These are test-based, science driven conclusions. You don't need to understand completely, and your individual evidence doesn't overwrite vast experiment and test done.

Is it bad to leave the phone plugged in at 100% all night? Would it be better to leave my phone uncharged at night and then just charge it when I get to work and keep it in that 30-80% range when possible?

with rapid charging, why not charge it in the morning for half an hr instead lugged in all night long?

charging overnight would means the battery is near 100% all night, and high battery level/high voltage of the battery cell, is a negative factor for battery longevity.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am unsure fact will change whether you understand or not. These are test-based, science driven conclusions. You don't need to understand completely, and your individual evidence doesn't overwrite vast experiment and test done.

No need to be rude. I am simply saying PERSONALLY I've never experienced this issue, and I've never met anyone in real life that has. That's why it's never been important in my eyes whether I charge at 50% or if I just use my phone as usual, it drains during the day, and charge at night. I'm not discounting YOUR testing results. Was just stating personal experience.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
There are so many theories on this idk what to believe...I here don't drain, I hear drain fully

Gorilla Gadgets say drain to 5% before filling up
Extended Battery
I trust batteryuniversity.com much more than gorilla gadget, I have a 6400 mAh gorilla gadget battery, they sent me the wrong colored back! Now my phone has black front and white back, ridiculous! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae