04-01-2015 09:53 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    GSMArena runs the same test on all their devices, so at least it's an apples-to-apples comparison under the same use case. Personally I can probably live with it, but yeah, I wish the battery was bigger, coming from a Z3 they rate at 85h.

What we don't know is if their device that they tested was pre-production or finalized.
    My bet is on a pre-production device as their article was probably in the making between the MWC and now.
    03-13-2015 06:21 PM
    My bet is on a pre-production device as their article was probably in the making between the MWC and now.
    I am unsure what possible difference that would be. I was predicting s6 will "definitely have better battery than s5", I am retracting that now. I think Sammy messed up this one.
    03-13-2015 06:25 PM
    I am unsure what possible difference that would be. I was predicting s6 will "definitely have better battery than s5", I am retracting that now. I think Sammy messed up this one.
    Again, based upon what? So there won't be any derive tune up before release? Come on. Battery life will be marginally better is my prediction.
    03-13-2015 06:34 PM
    I, myself, can't really make any prediction.
    But I have to go back to my initial concern. It goes all the way back to my treos, then TYTN, then some other window device, to some android device, then to the Thunderbolt, then Note2.
    I survive by knowing if I'm running low, I do a simple battery swap.
    I know... Its been beat to death, but very relevant to my concern about battery life.
    KJ78 likes this.
    03-13-2015 06:45 PM
    It does have a smaller battery than the S5.
    Smaller is not an accurate indicator of performance as there are other moving parts to consider than the amount of discharge capacity. Big things come from small packages. No puerile comments or potty humor please.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-13-2015 07:04 PM
    Smaller is not an accurate indicator of performance as there are other moving parts to consider than the amount of discharge capacity. Big things come from small packages. No puerile comments or potty humor please.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    That is true the internals matter but so does the battery size.
    03-14-2015 06:40 AM
    The device GSM arena tested might be pre-release, and certainly that could impact things slightly, but it won't account for GSM's findings that the battery lasts 25% less than the s5. Comments here hoping this all related to pre-production issues are the same as those in the m9 forum about the camera. Maybe that's some of the problem but I think the battery is going to be an issue here. Glad I didn't wait for this and got a note instead.
    03-14-2015 08:17 AM
    I have never ever checked my phones battery life or bought a phone based on the battery. I expect to charge my phone every night and when I'm low on juice I just plug In my 5200 mah power bank.
    03-14-2015 08:24 AM
    I have never ever checked my phones battery life or bought a phone based on the battery. I expect to charge my phone every night and when I'm low on juice I just plug In my 5200 mah power bank.
    how long, usually, do you keep your phone before upgrade?
    03-14-2015 08:28 AM
    That is true the internals matter but so does the battery size.
    Battery size should in an ideal world be designed to match in terms of allowing the internals to function as designed.
    03-14-2015 09:26 AM
    Exactly, as non-removable batteries are not new and since most people replace their phones often enough that this a total non-issue except the fanbase got used to it as a differentiating feature and an almost badge of honor that they are still clinging to. The GS6 gives them so many more great features to be proud of.
    03-14-2015 09:30 AM
    Screen on time is stated to be 1:58. That's fairly poor if we are to look at a full charge discharging linearly, that only equates to roughly 4 hours of screen on time.

Of course, battery life varies between individual devices and users themselves so I wouldn't take this result as the definitive truth regarding battery life. I'm looking forward to user accounts here on the forums and standardized testing performed by the major review sites.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    So I asked the guy about the battery and he says there will be a software update when released and that he only has a "training device" so it might not be a true reflection of the device

"Hi, the 'time on' only gives a reading from the last time the device was fully charged. UnfortunatelyI've been told to avoid battery testing because I have a a 'training device' and there will be new updated software on the retail version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 upon its release (April 10th in the UK). Therefore any tests I do wouldn't be a true reflection of the device. Everything else on the phone I should be able to test in full.
    03-14-2015 10:11 AM
    It does have a smaller battery than the S5.
    2800 compared to like 2550. Why change such a good thing? Jesus...
    KJ78 likes this.
    03-14-2015 10:13 AM
    Energy efficiency gained from better display, chipset, UFS 2.0, slimmed down TouchWiz means that a smaller battery will be needed. Less efficient energy consumption from a power hungry display and chipset as well as the heavy footprint of TouchWiz needs a larger battery which does not mean a better device. Add rapid charging and dual wireless technology as well as external charging devices. Battery size and swappability? Things df the past. Devices have had sealed batteries for years. Think Apple. Having one won't affect resale value and people change phones often enough that battery degradation a non-issue.
    03-14-2015 10:37 AM
    The internals are better but early reports say the S6 has worse battery life than the S5 - at least that's what's coming out.
    03-14-2015 10:45 AM
    The internals are better but early reports say the S6 has worse battery life than the S5 - at least that's what's coming out.
    The key is early reporting based upon devices whose version were ready for MWC which would give Samsung plenty of feedback to fine tune the production devices. Other reviewer may have earlier device prototypes. At the MWC, it appeared that the Edge was closer to ready as benchmarks in the überizmo article versus the GS6 in the GSMArena article. We have around three weeks until release so hold your horses everyone.
    03-14-2015 10:58 AM
    2013- 4s, HTC one, 5s
    2014 - G2, 6 plus

Not long.
    03-14-2015 12:49 PM
    So I asked the guy about the battery and he says there will be a software update when released and that he only has a "training device" so it might not be a true reflection of the device

"Hi, the 'time on' only gives a reading from the last time the device was fully charged. UnfortunatelyI've been told to avoid battery testing because I have a a 'training device' and there will be new updated software on the retail version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 upon its release (April 10th in the UK). Therefore any tests I do wouldn't be a true reflection of the device. Everything else on the phone I should be able to test in full.
    Who's to say GSMarena didn't do a battery test on the pre-production model of the S5 last year as well. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for Samsung here.
    03-14-2015 12:57 PM
    Who's to say GSMarena didn't do a battery test on the pre-production model of the S5 last year as well. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for Samsung here.
    Well to me, at the end of the day, each user has his own individual experience so I don't take reviews too seriously anyways
    03-14-2015 01:00 PM
    That's pretty horrible battery life, IMO. I take my Nexus 6 off the charger at 8 am and I still have ~70% battery life at 5 pm with the same amount of use as this gentleman.
    03-14-2015 01:13 PM
    That's pretty horrible battery life, IMO. I take my Nexus 6 off the charger at 8 am and I still have ~70% battery life at 5 pm with the same amount of use as this gentleman.
    Let's wait and see what real life experience brings instead of relying on preliminary reviews based upon preliminary, non-production devices.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-14-2015 01:24 PM
    It's a little phone with a little battery I don't know what everybody is expecting
    KJ78 likes this.
    03-14-2015 01:49 PM
    It's a little phone with a little battery I don't know what everybody is expecting
    Small is relative. I always thought the iPhone was too small but they increased to 4.7 inches which is small for me. The GS6 is just the right size at 5.1 inches. I don't really care for a phablet with or without a stylus or digitized pen. If I need that much real estate, I just pick up a mini-tab. Phablet a are a little klunky and awkward because of their size but are fine if you really like that much screen and/or have large hands needing a larger keyboard. Until we get a production device review, no definitive opinion on the battery size holds any weight.
    03-14-2015 02:10 PM
    The possibility that the components are more efficient and compensate for the smaller battery.

I personally feel that, even if this is the case at launch, in 12 months time when there are more apps on the phone, and there have been more power demanding updates these efficiencies will be completely obsolete
    03-14-2015 02:12 PM
    That battery will never get more than 3 hours screen on time browsing on LTE
    03-14-2015 02:13 PM
113 1234 ...