04-01-2015 09:53 PM
113 12345
tools
    The possibility that the components are more efficient and compensate for the smaller battery.

I personally feel that, even if this is the case at launch, in 12 months time when there are more apps on the phone, and there have been more power demanding updates these efficiencies will be completely obsolete
    Counter that with software updates that TouchWiz is tighter and Google pushes out a more unified streamlined update, battery life could remain the same or slightly better.
    03-14-2015 02:15 PM
    Counter that with software updates that TouchWiz is tighter and Google pushes out a more unified streamlined update, battery life could remain the same or slightly better.
    I wish I could disagree, just so I didn't feel like we were going round in circles before the official reviews are out.

I'm borderline addicted to the speculation
    03-14-2015 02:24 PM
    That battery will never get more than 3 hours screen on time browsing on LTE
    Don't think so.

s5 can do 5-6 hrs, even if worse, s6 should do more than 3. My guess would be around 4-5hrs.

Also, AMOLED screen can help save battery, if you use primarily dark to black background for webpages (firefox for android has an addon to turn the background black).
    03-14-2015 02:47 PM
    S5 really doess that well on LTE?
    That's more than the note 4.
    03-14-2015 02:52 PM
    S5 really doess that well on LTE?
    That's more than the note 4.
    sounds like you can use some tricks to improve your note 4!
    03-14-2015 02:58 PM
    Not mine a friends ,I have N6,
    Can't get past 4 1/2 on that ..hoping 5.1 helps it.
    03-14-2015 03:00 PM
    Not mine a friends ,I have N6,
    Can't get past 4 1/2 on that ..hoping 5.1 helps it.
    well, N6's battery is worse than both S5 and Note 4. Do let us know if 5.1 does anything for you.
    03-14-2015 03:06 PM
    Certainly will do that .
    03-14-2015 03:08 PM
    I would be happy if s6 would get 4 1/2.
    Looking to go smaller phone for the summer, but I can't do leas that
    03-14-2015 03:12 PM
    I would be happy if s6 would get 4 1/2.
    Looking to go smaller phone for the summer, but I can't do leas that
    Maybe a mini version is in the works. Active version was just announced.
    03-14-2015 04:42 PM
    Who's to say GSMarena didn't do a battery test on the pre-production model of the S5 last year as well. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for Samsung here.
    No they are comparing pre-production S6 to latest S5 test result after Lollipop update. They bumped up the S5 battery rating with Lollipop update recently. So it's not really apple to apple.
    jcp007 likes this.
    03-14-2015 10:27 PM
    No they are comparing pre-production S6 to latest S5 test result after Lollipop update. They bumped up the S5 battery rating with Lollipop update recently. So it's not really apple to apple.
    Great point. Waiting until we have production ready device reviews by credible site who are controlled and thought out are hard to wait for. Who knows, we might just get one soon. stay tuned.
    03-14-2015 10:32 PM
    My expectation level is basically 10% better than S5 after all is said and done. That's rather conservative, but here is why. S5 still has very decent pieces of hardware internally and it didn't catch on mainly due to boring design, plastic cover. It can last pretty long unless hampered by bad OS update. Most battery complaints on S5 I saw on forums were usually tracked down to some rogue apps. Now S6 has impressive list of hardware components that are even more efficient. But it has a little smaller battery than S5. If battery size is the same, my expectation would be 30% better or more. Unless samsung badly screws up firmware I don't see how S6 could be worse on battery life.
    jcp007 likes this.
    03-14-2015 10:57 PM
    My expectation level is basically 10% better than S5 after all is said and done. That's rather conservative, but here is why. S5 still has very decent pieces of hardware internally and it didn't catch on mainly due to boring design, plastic cover. It can last pretty long unless hampered by bad OS update. Most battery complaints on S5 I saw on forums were usually tracked down to some rogue apps. Now S6 has impressive list of hardware components that are even more efficient. But it has a little smaller battery than S5. If battery size is the same, my expectation would be 30% better or more. Unless samsung badly screws up firmware I don't see how S6 could be worse on battery life.
    That was a point that I was trying to make. Why would Samsung sabotage their own flagship devices with a less than perfect aspect like irregular battery life. I agree that the hardware that we saw is what we get and it makes sense from a production standpoint that there is no time for hardware changes especially the hopes for a swappable battery and expandable storage. Firmware however is something that could be tweaked and implemented prior to order fulfillment and shipping of millions of devices. Let's hope it gets done right.
    03-14-2015 11:07 PM
    That was a point that I was trying to make. Why would Samsung sabotage their own flagship devices with a less than perfect aspect like irregular battery life. I agree that the hardware that we saw is what we get and it makes sense from a production standpoint that there is no time for hardware changes especially the hopes for a swappable battery and expandable storage. Firmware however is something that could be tweaked and implemented prior to order fulfillment and shipping of millions of devices. Let's hope it gets done right.
    Because Samsung is not experienced in making all-metal phones. With changes in design like that, there had to be sacrifices made. They can't just suddenly start making the pinnacle of premium phones. This is where the difference in years of experience in making "premium" flagships will catch up to them. People ragged on HTC for the same thing back with the M7.
    03-15-2015 01:07 AM
    Because Samsung is not experienced in making all-metal phones. With changes in design like that, there had to be sacrifices made. They can't just suddenly start making the pinnacle of premium phones. This is where the difference in years of experience in making "premium" flagships will catch up to them. People ragged on HTC for the same thing back with the M7.
    I agree.

Ah yes, the consumers did rag on HTC with the m7 just 2 years ago. But the difference was 3 fold.

First HTC's m7 was not a metal slab sandwiched between two sets of glass and some components/battery. It was an all metal bowl that they had plenty of room to fit an SD card slot inside before the screen sealed up the top.
    Next, Google was trying real hard to get rid of the micro SD card at the time and at least here at AC the propaganda was that was one of the reasons why there was no SD card slot.
    Lastly, as much as I'd hate to think it, I'm sure greed had something to do with not having an SD card slot....no slot, more customers buying your 64gb phone.

As for the battery in the S6, had anyone ever thought how hard it must be to fit a large battery inside a thin phone that now has a metal slab running through it?
    And just think, next year the slab will be made thinner or have more holes to fit a larger battery in it and it will be a major selling point.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
    03-15-2015 04:53 AM
    But HTC One series don't have dual wireless charging and mobile payment features that S6 has. I think that surely takes some space that could be used for sd slot otherwise.

Regardless, I think S6 has solid hardware components to outlast S5 on battery easily despite a little smaller size. That would depend on how well final software is done for each carrier version. Going forward, there will be future OS updates that will affect positively or negatively if S5 is any indication. I can only hope they don't screw up any more in OS updates.
    03-15-2015 09:27 AM
    Don't think so.

s5 can do 5-6 hrs, even if worse, s6 should do more than 3. My guess would be around 4-5hrs.

Also, AMOLED screen can help save battery, if you use primarily dark to black background for webpages (firefox for android has an addon to turn the background black).
    Which begs to question. Why doesn't Samsung employ a dark theme like Sony and HTC to take advantage of that?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-15-2015 09:30 AM
    Which begs to question. Why doesn't Samsung employ a dark theme like Sony and HTC to take advantage of that?

They do.
    03-15-2015 09:38 AM

They used to, in JB, KK, TW always had dark theme, but there is no dark theme in LP. I don't know whose fault it is, sammy or google.

Good news is google is now making a AMOLED screen phone too (Nexus 6), so it also has some reason to push for things that benefit AMOLED screen devices.
    03-15-2015 10:10 AM

Pretty sure that they do.
    03-15-2015 10:18 AM
    Battery technology has NOT kept pace with the quest to be the thinnest phone on the market. I get it everyone wants to be thin, but sometimes being thin isn't a good thing. So did Samsung make a bad move on ditching the removable battery on the S6, I honestly don't know, its up to each user to determine if it is a detriment and if enough users tell Samsung no, then they will put those research dollars into finding a way to give us both.
    03-15-2015 01:36 PM
    Battery technology has NOT kept pace with the quest to be the thinnest phone on the market. I get it everyone wants to be thin, but sometimes being thin isn't a good thing. So did Samsung make a bad move on ditching the removable battery on the S6, I honestly don't know, its up to each user to determine if it is a detriment and if enough users tell Samsung no, then they will put those research dollars into finding a way to give us both.
    The density of Lithium-ion or polymer battery we have in phones are already pushed close to its limit for safety (avoiding overheating, explosion, etc). So that leaves bigger volume as the only option to increase capacity. Researchers around world are working on new material for next big jump in battery density, life. But this kind of new technology takes long time until it's employed in mass production. But thanks to advancements in semi-conductor design and manufacturing technology for lower power consumption, today's phones last way longer than 4~5 years ago.
    03-15-2015 01:57 PM
    But thanks to advancements in semi-conductor design and manufacturing technology for lower power consumption, today's phones last way longer than 4~5 years ago.
    But not as long as 10 years ago
    03-15-2015 02:01 PM
    But not as long as 10 years ago
    True if you meant flip, feature phones. But they do less than 1/10 of what smartphones do. Maybe even less.
    03-15-2015 02:05 PM
113 12345