Galaxy S6 Battery Review from a Real User

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The internals are better but early reports say the S6 has worse battery life than the S5 - at least that's what's coming out.

The key is early reporting based upon devices whose version were ready for MWC which would give Samsung plenty of feedback to fine tune the production devices. Other reviewer may have earlier device prototypes. At the MWC, it appeared that the Edge was closer to ready as benchmarks in the überizmo article versus the GS6 in the GSMArena article. We have around three weeks until release so hold your horses everyone.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
So I asked the guy about the battery and he says there will be a software update when released and that he only has a "training device" so it might not be a true reflection of the device

"Hi, the 'time on' only gives a reading from the last time the device was fully charged. UnfortunatelyI've been told to avoid battery testing because I have a a 'training device' and there will be new updated software on the retail version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 upon its release (April 10th in the UK). Therefore any tests I do wouldn't be a true reflection of the device. Everything else on the phone I should be able to test in full.

Who's to say GSMarena didn't do a battery test on the pre-production model of the S5 last year as well. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for Samsung here.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Who's to say GSMarena didn't do a battery test on the pre-production model of the S5 last year as well. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for Samsung here.
Well to me, at the end of the day, each user has his own individual experience so I don't take reviews too seriously anyways

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty horrible battery life, IMO. I take my Nexus 6 off the charger at 8 am and I still have ~70% battery life at 5 pm with the same amount of use as this gentleman.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty horrible battery life, IMO. I take my Nexus 6 off the charger at 8 am and I still have ~70% battery life at 5 pm with the same amount of use as this gentleman.

Let's wait and see what real life experience brings instead of relying on preliminary reviews based upon preliminary, non-production devices.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's a little phone with a little battery I don't know what everybody is expecting

Small is relative. I always thought the iPhone was too small but they increased to 4.7 inches which is small for me. The GS6 is just the right size at 5.1 inches. I don't really care for a phablet with or without a stylus or digitized pen. If I need that much real estate, I just pick up a mini-tab. Phablet a are a little klunky and awkward because of their size but are fine if you really like that much screen and/or have large hands needing a larger keyboard. Until we get a production device review, no definitive opinion on the battery size holds any weight.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
It's a little phone with a little battery I don't know what everybody is expecting

The possibility that the components are more efficient and compensate for the smaller battery.

I personally feel that, even if this is the case at launch, in 12 months time when there are more apps on the phone, and there have been more power demanding updates these efficiencies will be completely obsolete

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The possibility that the components are more efficient and compensate for the smaller battery.

I personally feel that, even if this is the case at launch, in 12 months time when there are more apps on the phone, and there have been more power demanding updates these efficiencies will be completely obsolete

Counter that with software updates that TouchWiz is tighter and Google pushes out a more unified streamlined update, battery life could remain the same or slightly better.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Counter that with software updates that TouchWiz is tighter and Google pushes out a more unified streamlined update, battery life could remain the same or slightly better.

I wish I could disagree, just so I didn't feel like we were going round in circles before the official reviews are out.

I'm borderline addicted to the speculation

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That battery will never get more than 3 hours screen on time browsing on LTE

Don't think so.

s5 can do 5-6 hrs, even if worse, s6 should do more than 3. My guess would be around 4-5hrs.

Also, AMOLED screen can help save battery, if you use primarily dark to black background for webpages (firefox for android has an addon to turn the background black).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci