Galaxy S6 Battery Review from a Real User

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If the screen-on time he stated was really 1:58, that's poor, imo, especially considering how it seems to be dimmer screen-wise than the S5 (if DisplayMate is to be trusted). My new M7 and GS4 were able to push six when brand new, and regularly over 5.

But there are too many variables. Background syncing, signal strength (perhaps the biggest culprit), screen brightness, apps installed/refreshing. We need much more data to see how it really performs.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, according to GSMArena, the battery life is significantly down from the GS5, though still above average (they rate it as 64h versus 83h on the GS5).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, according to GSMArena, the battery life is significantly down from the GS5, though still above average (they rate it as 64h versus 83h on the GS5).

This is weird. PRODUCTION devices are not even out yet with the final software and hardware tweaks. Usage depends upon the user. Are we to believe that more energy efficient displays and processors as well as a lighter TouchWiz and faster storage is going to result in comparable battery life? Regardless of the device, there will be no battery configuration based upon what we know. When tests of released devices are available, we will see.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This is weird. PRODUCTION devices are not even out yet with the final software and hardware tweaks. Usage depends upon the user. Are we to believe that more energy efficient displays and processors as well as a lighter TouchWiz and faster storage is going to result in comparable battery life? Regardless of the device, there will be no battery configuration based upon what we know. When tests of released devices are available, we will see.

It does have a smaller battery than the S5.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

GSMArena runs the same test on all their devices, so at least it's an apples-to-apples comparison under the same use case. Personally I can probably live with it, but yeah, I wish the battery was bigger, coming from a Z3 they rate at 85h.

What we don't know is if their device that they tested was pre-production or finalized.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
GSMArena runs the same test on all their devices, so at least it's an apples-to-apples comparison under the same use case. Personally I can probably live with it, but yeah, I wish the battery was bigger, coming from a Z3 they rate at 85h.

What we don't know is if their device that they tested was pre-production or finalized.

My bet is on a pre-production device as their article was probably in the making between the MWC and now.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My bet is on a pre-production device as their article was probably in the making between the MWC and now.

I am unsure what possible difference that would be. I was predicting s6 will "definitely have better battery than s5", I am retracting that now. I think Sammy messed up this one.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am unsure what possible difference that would be. I was predicting s6 will "definitely have better battery than s5", I am retracting that now. I think Sammy messed up this one.

Again, based upon what? So there won't be any derive tune up before release? Come on. Battery life will be marginally better is my prediction.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I, myself, can't really make any prediction.
But I have to go back to my initial concern. It goes all the way back to my treos, then TYTN, then some other window device, to some android device, then to the Thunderbolt, then Note2.
I survive by knowing if I'm running low, I do a simple battery swap.
I know... Its been beat to death, but very relevant to my concern about battery life.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It does have a smaller battery than the S5.

Smaller is not an accurate indicator of performance as there are other moving parts to consider than the amount of discharge capacity. Big things come from small packages. No puerile comments or potty humor please.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Smaller is not an accurate indicator of performance as there are other moving parts to consider than the amount of discharge capacity. Big things come from small packages. No puerile comments or potty humor please.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

That is true the internals matter but so does the battery size.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The device GSM arena tested might be pre-release, and certainly that could impact things slightly, but it won't account for GSM's findings that the battery lasts 25% less than the s5. Comments here hoping this all related to pre-production issues are the same as those in the m9 forum about the camera. Maybe that's some of the problem but I think the battery is going to be an issue here. Glad I didn't wait for this and got a note instead.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I have never ever checked my phones battery life or bought a phone based on the battery. I expect to charge my phone every night and when I'm low on juice I just plug In my 5200 mah power bank.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have never ever checked my phones battery life or bought a phone based on the battery. I expect to charge my phone every night and when I'm low on juice I just plug In my 5200 mah power bank.

how long, usually, do you keep your phone before upgrade?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
how long, usually, do you keep your phone before upgrade?

Exactly, as non-removable batteries are not new and since most people replace their phones often enough that this a total non-issue except the fanbase got used to it as a differentiating feature and an almost badge of honor that they are still clinging to. The GS6 gives them so many more great features to be proud of.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Screen on time is stated to be 1:58. That's fairly poor if we are to look at a full charge discharging linearly, that only equates to roughly 4 hours of screen on time.

Of course, battery life varies between individual devices and users themselves so I wouldn't take this result as the definitive truth regarding battery life. I'm looking forward to user accounts here on the forums and standardized testing performed by the major review sites.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

So I asked the guy about the battery and he says there will be a software update when released and that he only has a "training device" so it might not be a true reflection of the device

"Hi, the 'time on' only gives a reading from the last time the device was fully charged. UnfortunatelyI've been told to avoid battery testing because I have a a 'training device' and there will be new updated software on the retail version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 upon its release (April 10th in the UK). Therefore any tests I do wouldn't be a true reflection of the device. Everything else on the phone I should be able to test in full.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
2800 compared to like 2550. Why change such a good thing? Jesus...

Energy efficiency gained from better display, chipset, UFS 2.0, slimmed down TouchWiz means that a smaller battery will be needed. Less efficient energy consumption from a power hungry display and chipset as well as the heavy footprint of TouchWiz needs a larger battery which does not mean a better device. Add rapid charging and dual wireless technology as well as external charging devices. Battery size and swappability? Things df the past. Devices have had sealed batteries for years. Think Apple. Having one won't affect resale value and people change phones often enough that battery degradation a non-issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante