03-15-2015 09:01 PM
98 1234
tools
    Wow, just don't understand how they can have an official review unit already??
    Before an HTC M9 review too :/
    03-13-2015 07:18 PM
    Lucky I guess assuming the fact that we don't know the version of the preproduction model.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-13-2015 07:20 PM
    They often hurry to get it out first. They usually update it after production unit comes out.

Though I don't like their rushing out for new review, I appreciate their review update after major Android update.
    03-13-2015 07:24 PM
    Not too happy about the Battery, but I guess I cannot be too surprised. I really want to see what the S6 Active will have in store, but I'm pretty sure they will remove wireless charging. Definitely not a deal breaker for me about the battery though

Also the sound quality is GOOD compared to the review, which is also a good sign. Louder than the S5 which is what Im really happy about
    03-13-2015 08:04 PM
    The article seems very through. Thoughts on. Part1. The reboot is the next big thing for Samsung as one of the primary complaints has been build materials, display and other issues. Right from the jump the issue of the battery and storage are brought and seem to frame the article with a predetermined opinion of what a tragic move that Samsung made with these two design choices before launching into the review. A little objectivity would be great. On to the rest of the article.
    03-13-2015 08:08 PM
    Lots of places do now. Russian sites are posting YouTube reviews already...too bad I can't understand what they are saying
    03-13-2015 08:11 PM
    I'm also a bit sketchy about this review...definitely need more....not sure why they said the S6 speaker is not as loud as the S5...I don't agree with that

Phillax likes this.
    03-13-2015 08:17 PM
    Part 2 is fine. Pretty dry stuff. Part 3 battery obsessive but a s we don't know what version of a pre-prod too unit that they used. I would say that jury is still out.
    03-13-2015 08:17 PM
    part 4 No issues. Part 5. From the benchmark tests using a device that we don't know what version the production unit is and what TouchWiz version it is running but overall the GS6 does quite well relative to its competion. With the final versions, some the benchmark test may improve especially where the GS6 was not the top performer . Still no surprises in either of these parts of the review.
    03-13-2015 08:22 PM
    How do these 'Review Writers' get the device early?
    03-13-2015 08:25 PM
    How do these 'Review Writers' get the device early?
    Same way all the others do. Press samples. I tend to disagree that this was pre-production hardware. The firmware might not be 100% finalized but it's probably very close. Launch is in less than 30 days, they had to have been building them for a while by now in order to start stocking and distributing in time for April 10. A bunch of them will have to sit in customs for at least a week just to satisfy some inspector's whim.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-13-2015 08:29 PM
    The rest of the article is pretty fair and doesn't bring any issues of concern. Then, in the conclusion , the reviewer wants to take another slap at the two design choices that have generated so much discussion and furor. It's like the reviewer still couldn't embrace the realty that they are not included and did really concede that only time will tell. Who cares so much about dust and moisture intrusion or fm radio, really, that their purchase decision would be swayed due to their absence. Who listens to fm radio and make it part of their purchase decision or stereo speakers . These features are nice to have for the most part but have to evaluated in the context of the overall package presented to the consumer. The conclusion should have been more objective in terms of summarizing the key key features and performance of the device and let the reader draw their own conclusions to present their opinion bias. This is all my opinion only.
    03-13-2015 08:35 PM
    Same way all the others do. Press samples. I tend to disagree that this was pre-production hardware. The firmware might not be 100% finalized but it's probably very close. Launch is in less than 30 days, they had to have been building them for a while by now in order to start stocking and distributing in time for April 10. A bunch of them will have to sit in customs for at least a week just to satisfy some inspector's whim.
    That's what I'm thinking.
    Samsung wouldn't make available to these Reviewers a device that wasn't very close to ready. They wouldn't give them a device they knew wasn't ready and would result in showing poor battery performance.
    03-13-2015 08:39 PM
    Continuing my thought....
    If I was sending out a device for review, I'd make sure it was the closest to final for a good review.
    03-13-2015 08:45 PM
    Continuing my thought....
    If I was sending out a device for review, I'd make sure it was the closest to final for a good review.
    That is exactly my point. We don't know how long they have working on this article which is eleven pages long, mainly due to oictures but they obviously spent some time. This might mean a device close to ready but as another post alluded, why send a reviewer a device with battery performance not up,to,par and give them the ammo which the author whined about in the article, the intro, part 3 and the beginning of the summary section. Summarize an objective review of the device and leave your opinion of the mistake not including the swappable battery and expandable storage.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-13-2015 08:58 PM
    As I commented on gizmodo review thread, I suspect they used MWC demo unit for this review. Camera pictures and videos samples are mostly from Barcelona near MWC, it seems. I guess reviews of final unit will flow in about week or so.
    03-13-2015 09:12 PM
    As I commented on gizmodo review thread, I suspect they used MWC demo unit for this review. Camera pictures and videos samples are mostly from Barcelona near MWC, it seems. I guess reviews of final unit will flow in about week or so.
    I agree. The device version was probably the most current in prep for MWC. The überizmo review posted in this sub-forum has higher benchmark scores which would imply improvements and changes versus the unit in the GSMArena review.
    03-13-2015 09:15 PM
    I'm also a bit sketchy about this review...definitely need more....not sure why they said the S6 speaker is not as loud as the S5...I don't agree with that
    Yeah that's one thing that confused me. I had also seen that video and thought the S6 was noticeably louder than the S5.

I'm coming from a HTC One M8, so I don't expect the S6 to sound anywhere near as good as the M8, but I was hoping for something at least good as their previous device. The GSM Arena review suggests that it's not even as loud as the previous S5, which does concern me as I use speaker phone a fair bit.

Battery life is concerning though. I really don't want my next phone to have less battery life than my current one.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty awesome device. Though I do believe GSMArena are biased towards Samsung's phones.
    03-13-2015 09:21 PM
    I agree. The device version was probably the most current in prep for MWC. The überizmo review posted in this sub-forum has higher benchmark scores which would imply improvements and changes versus the unit in the GSMArena review.
    They were both done at MWC, which would imply they're the same device. Or at least the same revision.
    03-13-2015 09:24 PM
    They were both done at MWC, which would imply they're the same device. Or at least the same revision.
    Again, benchmark ranking pretty different between the two articles. Maybe überizmo not as thorough not testing as much as the other article?
    03-13-2015 09:31 PM
    Again, benchmark ranking pretty different between the two articles. Maybe überizmo not as thorough not testing as much as the other article?
    That's more likely, they've probably got different testing methodology. I seriously doubt there'd be much variance between devices as an event like MWC.
    03-13-2015 09:39 PM
    Having Subject Zero in the title should have been a clue to the number of times he talks about the battery and storage design choices. It also looks like they used a GS6 and not the Edge.
    03-13-2015 09:39 PM
    well, looking at the numbers given (s5 # in parenthesis),

talk 17.5 (27.5)
    video 10.5 (11.25)
    web 8.75 (9.5)
    rating 64 (83)

If I use 2.5 day of talk/video/web battery consumption for s6 (because 48<64<72) and 3.5 day of talk/video/web battery consumption for s5 (because 72<83<96), I can deduct the standby battery life as follows (relatively, roughly, as I don't have time to figure out more precisely the formula they used):

s6: 0.52%/hr
    s5: 0.23%/hr

This is significant. As bad standby can be improved. Through rigid and careful care, users can improve standby battery to same level as s5. When that happens, the rating can be changed to ~75. Though still not as good as s5, it is much improved.

So my preliminary conclusion is, s6's battery performance is hampered by bad talk time and bad standby time. They can be alleviated to certain degree. Disabling sync, turning off data when not in use could greatly improves its battery performance.

btw, it would be good to check its OS's version, It is known that Lollipop 5.0 may have bad standby problem, it is possible a 5.01/5.02/5.1 update can be pushed right out of the door and improve standby to some degree.
    03-14-2015 04:23 AM
    Having Subject Zero in the title should have been a clue to the number of times he talks about the battery and storage design choices. It also looks like they used a GS6 and not the Edge.
    I think you'll find that updated benchmarks will be had at gsm.
    I think we all know that this is final hardware, but software is nowhere near final. This is normal. Same happened with the S5 and the S4 that I had. Improved battery life after the first update, my S4 by an hour screen on time.

Also, don't take anything personal that might seem negative on any review. If flaws aren't addressed how else is Sammy to know what the fans have said on the forums?
    We will hear more on the lack of SD cards and replaceable battery. As well as the loss of water resistant too. But in the end, we all know that is damb good and will just get better once the next update arrives.

I'm also sure that whoever is testing here at AC with the S6, will cover the battery life in depth as well to help end any controversy... And will be talked about to death on the podcast.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
    03-14-2015 04:25 AM
    Let's see
    A phone which can record 4K videos but does not have expandable memory. I don't even...
    Also a small battery capacity coupled with non removable battery.. Again i don't even..
    Pretty much all of these issues could have been overlooked had the phone been significantly cheaper than the iPhone 6.
    Remember Apple can get away with any damned thing coz they are Apple but Samsung is not Apple... yet.
    What's the most important thing to me in a smartphone? Amazing specs? Awesome camera? Best design? Nope its the battery life. I want an amazing battery life first and foremost which as of now only Sony Z3/Z3 Compact provides.
    But i agree that the S6 is the best galaxy S series phone since the S2 so its still worth buying i guess.
    But then there are better options out there like Droid Turbo and Z3 but S6 is still a good phone just not the best.
    03-14-2015 04:39 AM
98 1234