Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Review up on GSMArena

Some interesting points from their review:

-Battery life "is noticeably worse than the S5"
-Note 4's camera is "still ever so slightly better"
-Loudspeaker is "average loudness and quieter than the S5"
-Screen showed to be slightly brighter than Note 4, but still far behind LCD offerings (just something I personally look at)

That's not a good sign. Regardless, I'll wait for other reviews. I've been turned off of GSMArena for poor writing, blatant bias/modification of results and some laughable articles.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

They might have been in a hurry, they seem to have scooped everyone. I did notice the battery life was significantly down from the GS5, though they still refer to it as above average. The screen also isn't quite as bright as the GS5 on max.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'll grab the TL;DR from it for everyone:
Key test findings
  • Excellent build quality, premium finish, very good grip, size easily pocketable.
  • Best in-class Quad HD Super AMOLED display with the highest pixel-per-inch density to date. Its contrast ratio, viewing angles, and sunlight legibility are all chart-toppers.
  • Battery life is above average but turned out noticeably worse than the S5.
  • TouchWiz has gotten leaner and more customizable (theme downloads), less features, but also less clutter
  • Excellent overall performance, probably the fastest Android smartphone around
  • The loudspeaker is average in loudness and quieter than the Galaxy S5
  • Excellent multimedia package out of the box
  • Solid audio quality
  • 16MP main camera is among the best in terms of resolved detail, noise and sharpness, as well as features, but our test charts show that the Galaxy Note 4 is still ever so slightly better
  • Video quality is excellent both in 2160p and 1080p resolution, but again, the Galaxy Note 4 video feed is marginally sharper

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I think someone posted that the Active is only coming to AT&T

Initially it's going to be an AT&T exclusive..it might eventually come to other carriers, but then again it might not. T-Mobile never got previous Actives, don't know offhand about Verizon or Sprint.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Oh my

gsmarena is pretty much the only one nowadays conducting comprehensive battery test. Although absolute numbers means little due to usage pattern variations, the relative performance is a great base for comparison.

So there you go, worse than s5 battery, and nonremovable. it is shocking to say the least.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

For reference, GSMArena rates the iPhone 6 at 61 hours, so the GS6 is competitive with that at 64 hours. But yeah, I wish they'd stuffed a 3000 mAh battery in there.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I just find it hard to believe this is what Sammy made, knowing the design change, with all the power saving hardwares.

S6 also seems to have dimmer brightness than s5, this agrees with displaymate test.

I have to say, s5 looks like an attractive option now.

I'm shocked that a 2550 mAh battery and a QHD display would produce bad battery life. Shocked!

/s

screen was tested to consume less battery, was hoping 14nm exynos can compensate smaller battery. Apparently not.

For reference, GSMArena rates the iPhone 6 at 61 hours, so the GS6 is competitive with that at 64 hours. But yeah, I wish they'd stuffed a 3000 mAh battery in there.

Android OS tends to mess up battery, unless you turn the sync off, and data off when not in use (which I do), its very hard to get the number close to those in the test.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Of course, this is only one review.

yeah, but nobody else conduct comprehensive battery test anymore. Engadget, Verge, BGR, AC, they keep doing this "oh, our light to medium usage last us throughout the day with xxx left", these type of vague statements never provide anything if you are trying to figure out 1) what this phone will last for YOU; 2) how does this phone compare to another.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure how they determine the battery rating and it often seems quite inconsistent on how three times are factored in.

They recently upped S5 rating on battery after Lollipop update mainly for increased talk time of 27.37h! I have S5 but honestly that's hard to believe. S6 seems mainly affected by lower talk time. Also not sure if they tested final production version. I guess Anandtech testing is more reliable.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure how they determine the battery rating and it often seems quite inconsistent on how three times are factored in.

They recently upped S5 rating on battery after Lollipop update mainly for increased talk time of 27.37h! I have S5 but honestly that's hard to believe. S6 seems mainly affected by lower talk time. Also not sure if they tested final production version. I guess Anandtech testing is more reliable.

they run down talk/web/video seperately, then check standby. Then assume if one were to do 1hr talk, 1hr video, 1hr web every day, how many hrs it will take to get battery to zero. This number would be their rating.

They usually get similar results as Anand for each run down test. I like their rating because they also factor in the standby performance. This could be very important at times.

I have to wait to see their data, they only showed result right now.

If S6's problem is bad standby performance, there may be things users can do to alleviate that, such as disabling battery hog google services. If s6's problem is in every category of run down, then its hopeless.

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

9 hours of continuous web browsing or 10.5 hours of looped video playback is more than enough battery to get me to a point where I can recharge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude