Samsung Galaxy S6 Review up on GSMArena

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Review up on GSMArena

yeah, but nobody else conduct comprehensive battery test anymore. Engadget, Verge, BGR, AC, they keep doing this "oh, our light to medium usage last us throughout the day with xxx left", these type of vague statements never provide anything if you are trying to figure out 1) what this phone will last for YOU; 2) how does this phone compare to another.

I have to agree with you. While I understand why some websites refuse to benchmark phones, some things are still required. Battery tests being one of them.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

9 hours of continuous web browsing or 10.5 hours of looped video playback is more than enough battery to get me to a point where I can recharge.

except those are not numbers most people can achieve normally. Their numbers are great for comparison, not so good for telling you the real-life sot. Goto S5 forum and see if anybody ever got 9.5 hr web time. Most people got half of that.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

they run down talk/web/video seperately, then check standby. Then assume if one were to do 1hr talk, 1hr video, 1hr web every day, how many hrs it will take to get battery to zero. This number would be their rating.

They usually get similar results as Anand for each run down test. I like their rating because they also factor in the standby performance. This could be very important at times.

I have to wait to see their data, they only showed result right now.

If S6's problem is bad standby performance, there may be things users can do to alleviate that, such as disabling battery hog google services. If s6's problem is in every category of run down, then its hopeless.

OK. That's good explanation on how they rate battery. GSMarena is one of my favorite site actually. But I often had to take their battery results with some grain of salts. Sometimes phone with higher talk time gets good rating, and other times phone with poor talk time but higher video time gets even better rating. Things like that. And I think their browsing, video times are very optimistic on highly rated phones, way over 10h, even 15h+. I don't know what phone screen can last that long.

I didn't check in detail but Anandtech test numbers are more realistic in hours in my opinion. And they state things like screen brightness, data connection (WiFi vs LTE), cell carrier for comparison. GSMarena doesn't show that kind of details though they are better than many others.

Also they noted audio performance is poor while couple of others already noticed it's at least 50% better than S5. Something doesn't seem right with GSMarena this time.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

lets wait for more reviews. I am more of a battery guy so I am not really very sure about other aspect of their reviews.

btw, AMOLED does have phenomenal video play time, If I were to play video on my Note 3 for the entire battery test (I usually do 2-4 hrs of video play, mixed with other activities for my battery calibration process), it would last 15 hrs minimum (after Lollipop).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Wow, just don't understand how they can have an official review unit already??

Lucky I guess assuming the fact that we don't know the version of the preproduction model.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Wow, just don't understand how they can have an official review unit already??

They often hurry to get it out first. They usually update it after production unit comes out.

Though I don't like their rushing out for new review, I appreciate their review update after major Android update.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Not too happy about the Battery, but I guess I cannot be too surprised. I really want to see what the S6 Active will have in store, but I'm pretty sure they will remove wireless charging. Definitely not a deal breaker for me about the battery though

Also the sound quality is GOOD compared to the review, which is also a good sign. Louder than the S5 which is what Im really happy about

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The article seems very through. Thoughts on. Part1. The reboot is the next big thing for Samsung as one of the primary complaints has been build materials, display and other issues. Right from the jump the issue of the battery and storage are brought and seem to frame the article with a predetermined opinion of what a tragic move that Samsung made with these two design choices before launching into the review. A little objectivity would be great. On to the rest of the article.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Part 2 is fine. Pretty dry stuff. Part 3 battery obsessive but a s we don't know what version of a pre-prod too unit that they used. I would say that jury is still out.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

part 4 No issues. Part 5. From the benchmark tests using a device that we don't know what version the production unit is and what TouchWiz version it is running but overall the GS6 does quite well relative to its competion. With the final versions, some the benchmark test may improve especially where the GS6 was not the top performer . Still no surprises in either of these parts of the review.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

How do these 'Review Writers' get the device early?

Same way all the others do. Press samples. I tend to disagree that this was pre-production hardware. The firmware might not be 100% finalized but it's probably very close. Launch is in less than 30 days, they had to have been building them for a while by now in order to start stocking and distributing in time for April 10. A bunch of them will have to sit in customs for at least a week just to satisfy some inspector's whim.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The rest of the article is pretty fair and doesn't bring any issues of concern. Then, in the conclusion , the reviewer wants to take another slap at the two design choices that have generated so much discussion and furor. It's like the reviewer still couldn't embrace the realty that they are not included and did really concede that only time will tell. Who cares so much about dust and moisture intrusion or fm radio, really, that their purchase decision would be swayed due to their absence. Who listens to fm radio and make it part of their purchase decision or stereo speakers . These features are nice to have for the most part but have to evaluated in the context of the overall package presented to the consumer. The conclusion should have been more objective in terms of summarizing the key key features and performance of the device and let the reader draw their own conclusions to present their opinion bias. This is all my opinion only.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

Same way all the others do. Press samples. I tend to disagree that this was pre-production hardware. The firmware might not be 100% finalized but it's probably very close. Launch is in less than 30 days, they had to have been building them for a while by now in order to start stocking and distributing in time for April 10. A bunch of them will have to sit in customs for at least a week just to satisfy some inspector's whim.

That's what I'm thinking.
Samsung wouldn't make available to these Reviewers a device that wasn't very close to ready. They wouldn't give them a device they knew wasn't ready and would result in showing poor battery performance.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

Continuing my thought....
If I was sending out a device for review, I'd make sure it was the closest to final for a good review.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Continuing my thought....
If I was sending out a device for review, I'd make sure it was the closest to final for a good review.

That is exactly my point. We don't know how long they have working on this article which is eleven pages long, mainly due to oictures but they obviously spent some time. This might mean a device close to ready but as another post alluded, why send a reviewer a device with battery performance not up,to,par and give them the ammo which the author whined about in the article, the intro, part 3 and the beginning of the summary section. Summarize an objective review of the device and leave your opinion of the mistake not including the swappable battery and expandable storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary