Samsung Galaxy S6 Review up on GSMArena

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Review up on GSMArena

Android central never conduct battery test, they only do "battery feels", phonearena claimed S5 battery is twice as good as s4, and 20% better than Note 3 and iPhone 6+. anandtech claimed HTC ONE X ( I had one) can surfing web for 10 hrs (complete bs obviously).

None the less.

This review is real early. If we see other reviews pop up this weekend... I'll consider them all... Like always.

Just curious why they got their review up so quickly.

Posted via the Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

None the less.

This review is real early. If we see other reviews pop up this weekend... I'll consider them all... Like always.

Just curious why they got their review up so quickly.

maybe their automated publishing system mistakenly got triggered early... lol, surprising indeed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

maybe their automated publishing system mistakenly got triggered early... lol, surprising indeed.

The two reviews used different GS6 models with each one a little different in terms of being closer to market ready that both were only up to MWC launch status as the differences in benchmark rankings would seem to suggest. While we can't glen anything truly helpful,to,allow us to evaluate the device for our selves, they offer a microcosm or the current debate over the GS6 design. GSMArena seemed to be in the Samsung purist camp that can't let go of the battery issue instead of an objective preliminary evaluation of the device. On the plus side, it was thorough especially for a preliminary first look. überizmo was concise and more objective focusing on taking a more,patient approach to make a judgment on the success of the design choices. I agree that we need to wait a little longer for AC, AA, mobile tech review, PhoneArena, and phonedog as well as other more widely known review sites publish.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

The two reviews used different GS6 models with each one a little different in terms of being closer to market ready that both were only up to MWC launch status as the differences in benchmark rankings would seem to suggest. While we can't glen anything truly helpful,to,allow us to evaluate the device for our selves, they offer a microcosm or the current debate over the GS6 design. GSMArena seemed to be in the Samsung purist camp that can't let go of the battery issue instead of an objective preliminary evaluation of the device. On the plus side, it was thorough especially for a preliminary first look. überizmo was concise and more objective focusing on taking a more,patient approach to make a judgment on the success of the design choices. I agree that we need to wait a little longer for AC, AA, mobile tech review, PhoneArena, and phonedog as well as other more widely known review sites publish.

They're not the only ones having trouble with objectivity here. ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

They wanted to be like iPhone ,looks like they nailed it.

The only true similarities exist at the bottom of the device but they pretty much end there. GS6 has the following.

Better display with greater pixel density and energy efficiency.
On multi-core, faster more energy efficient chipset.
Better LTE radio standard.
Dual wireless charging standards in the same device requiring additional modification.
Dual mobile payment standards.
Better camera and video with 4k video .
IR blaster to use your phone as a remote control.
True functional widgets.
True multi-tasking.
All this powered by a smaller battery and thinner.

The I6s will want to be the GS6. Best of luck to them nailing that goal.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

They're not the only ones having trouble with objectivity here. ;)

I will admit that my affinity for Samsung is pretty strong but I was merely trying express my opinion that we need to take both preliminary reviews with a grain of salt and take a wait and see approach. The GSMArena reviewer interjected the battery opinion no les,than three times,devoting a great deal,of print on an issue that is quite hot at the moment. These preliminary reviews are just that preliminary. Devices in both reviews were clearly advanced prototypes not ready for market. If you also take in context,my previous,posts about embracing change, I have been more,objective than you think as also been advocating patience and tolerance.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I will admit that my affinity for Samsung is pretty strong but I was merely trying express my opinion that we need to take both preliminary reviews with a grain of salt and take a wait and see approach. The GSMArena reviewer interjected the battery opinion no les,than three times,devoting a great deal,of print on an issue that is quite hot at the moment. These preliminary reviews are just that preliminary. Devices in both reviews were clearly advanced prototypes not ready for market. If you also take in context,my previous,posts about embracing change, I have been more,objective than you think as also been advocating patience and tolerance.

The point is that your affinity for Samsung here is coloring your opinion of their evaluations. Now you're back to saying that the units at MWC were prototypes. I'm just wondering what you'll say when the reviews of off-the-shelf units come in, if they have similar issues.

I will grant that I got caught up into launch excitement as well, though I have always been cautious about the battery due to the announced, relatively small size, I didn't think it would be quite so long lasting as the GS5 battery. Now with these initial evaluations my skepticism is growing on that front. I may end up buying the device anyway, and just keeping a QuickCharge unit in my laptop bag as well as my car...probably at my desk at work too, just because all the other features on the device are so game-changing in comparison, and my Z3 rarely goes below 40% anyway.

They probably shrunk the battery to stick to a particular price point but personally I'd pay an extra $50 for a larger battery. I won't go the Mophie route because I'd be looking to use a Lifeproof case instead. But I may end up relying heavily on QuickCharging, and I'm wondering what that will do to battery longevity long-term.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The point is that your affinity for Samsung here is coloring your opinion of their evaluations. Now you're back to saying that the units at MWC were prototypes. I'm just wondering what you'll say when the reviews of off-the-shelf units come in, if they have similar issues.

I will grant that I got caught up into launch excitement as well, though I have always been cautious about the battery due to the announced, relatively small size, I didn't think it would be quite so long lasting as the GS5 battery. Now with these initial evaluations my skepticism is growing on that front. I may end up buying the device anyway, and just keeping a QuickCharge unit in my laptop bag as well as my car...probably at my desk at work too, just because all the other features on the device are so game-changing in comparison, and my Z3 rarely goes below 40% anyway.

They probably shrunk the battery to stick to a particular price point but personally I'd pay an extra $50 for a larger battery. I won't go the Mophie route because I'd be looking to use a Lifeproof case instead. But I may end up relying heavily on QuickCharging, and I'm wondering what that will do to battery longevity long-term.

Aren't all device that are not commercially available prototypes by definition. Going to take a step,further back to wait and see., if the issues persist, fine as I will adapt and change either buying the device or passing on it totally. Right one, there is very little that would do so. I will also rely on testing them in person before making my decision. In any event, I am not making any value judgment on anyone's opinion and if I have not made that clear before, I hope it is clear now. Hysteria and emotion overriding good judgment and patience always leads to a bad result.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Wireless charging tends to have lower efficiency and takes longer time to charge. The wasted energy will be emitted as heat, obviously not that good for battery longevity. Users will need to balance wired and wireless charging to keep both battery and charging usb port safer (I noticed some reports saying the charging port getting loose or unstable).

Its too late now for sammy to do-over the hardware. Right now, they should work really really really hard to get software updated so standby performance, if not overall battery consumption, can be significantly improved, preferably, as 0-day update.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I took a step back to reflect on your post and decided to add some clarity on my views in a sincere way. I came from a long time user of RIM devices having owned half a dozen models since 2006. I thought I could never give up the physical keyboard and proprietary communications platform. Then, seeing the GS3 announcement and having passed on the iPhone, I took a leap of faith and got the GS3 with no physical keyboard and a totally different OS. After getting the GS4, I took a look at the GS5 after it was announced and decided to pass on it as well as two iterations of the iPhone which brings us to where we are now with the GS6.

As far as the reviews are concerned, both were thorough and fair for the most part, with the GSMArena being more detailed and the überizmo was more concise. The primary difference in my opinion having read both reviews were twofold. The battery issue was interjected as commentary three times in the midst of an otherwise thoughtful and objective yet highly preliminary review of a device not ready for market but ready enough to demo and genre rate buzz. I thought the überizmo article tried harder to point out the improved features and new ones in the context of its predecessor the GS5 and it's competition. I also thought it took the approach that controversial design choices while impressive needed some time to tell if they were successful. I hope this clears things up a bit.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I know....if true this is really bad news.

I think it's safe to say that since no one has tested a unit ready for sale that any evaluations of battery life are best highly preliminary at best an probably subject to revision.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

We might get a updated review now that, according to PhoneArena, April 11th has been tipped as the US GS6 release date.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

The only thing that concerns me is the worse battery life than S5. I'll wait for more reviews.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The only thing that concerns me is the worse battery life than S5. I'll wait for more reviews.

We have been over this in other threads. Take the highly preliminary views of devices evaluated at the MWC with a grain of salt. When released,,we should get reviews of devices that are more tuned up for sale, which in the US according to PhoneArena is April 11th.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

No, it doesn't work that way. You think Samsung/HTC wasn't churning out phones prior to MWC? The manufacturing processes doesn't turn on/off overnight. The phones you saw at MWC is what you will get. They have phones sitting in warehouses. Phones that are not updated, but sitting and waiting for preorders. Phones aren't cars that can be tuned up by going into a service center.

You know this how? Why would devices that performed at different benchmark scores and battery performance levels were irregular at best? Why would Samsung sabotage it's own product in this way?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

You know this how? Why would devices that performed at different benchmark scores and battery performance levels were irregular at best? Why would Samsung sabotage it's own product in this way?

Because there is no way they can churn out 20 million devices from the reveal to the launch.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey