Samsung Galaxy S6 Review up on GSMArena

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Review up on GSMArena

Because there is no way they can churn out 20 million devices from the reveal to the launch.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

So...there's not a circumstances with prep time for the MWC that other version more,tuned up we're not already in production?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

You know this how? Why would devices that performed at different benchmark scores and battery performance levels were irregular at best? Why would Samsung sabotage it's own product in this way?
Ever work in manufacturing?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

So...there's not a circumstances with prep time for the MWC that other version more,tuned up we're not already in production?
Honestly no, there isn't. They haven't had time to QA and implement new production changes yet, not with a manufacturing process as complex as theirs. There may be hardware revisions down the road but that's the launch hardware. Though not necessarily the launch firmware, there may be a zero day update for that.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Ever work in manufacturing?

Not on the line. It just doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't put your best foot forward. I would then question methodologies and device set ups of the reviewers. How could they glean all the scores and information including about battery life in such a short time ? Components probably set and in the production process I would agree, there's more,to assembly that just snapping things together and stuffing them in a box.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Honestly no, there isn't. They haven't had time to QA and implement new production changes yet, not with a manufacturing process as complex as theirs. There may be hardware revisions down the road but that's the launch hardware. Though not necessarily the launch firmware, there may be a zero day update for that.

Firmware could be fine tuned on a more up to date basis according to you. I agree that the hardware we saw is the hardware we get but the firmware is being tuned after feedback from research data and comments at the. MWC. That's what I would have thought would happen before we buy them in april

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Firmware could be fine tuned on a more up to date basis according to you. I agree that the hardware we saw is the hardware we get but the firmware is being tuned after feedback from research data and comments at the. MWC. That's what I would have thought would happen before we buy them in april
Just keep in mind that firmware can only do so much. Especially if the issue turns out to be a hardware one.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Like with HTC and their camera woes. :)

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

I gotcha you both. Great,points. I think that it would be safe to say that because humans wrote the reviews that there are number of variables that effected the evaluations beyond their control and knowledge that may have affected benchmark results. I am guessing their reviews were not under controlled and structured circumstances.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Firmware improving battery is much more likely than improving camera. Camera is basically more hardware limited by lens, sensor quality though image processing algorithm can be tweaked. But battery depends on variety of factors like radio firmware, how multi-taking is done, how Wifi/GPS is managed, how basic apps are optimized, etc. This is why often major android update can hurt battery life than improving it when not done properly. I don't think the firmware in MWC unit would be the same one that will be on production unit.

Also how did they test talk time on international S6 unless it's somehow activated on local carrier? Still no one has seen carrier specific version of S6 yet. So their talk time number is just useless to most of us. Another issue with GSMarena review is that they are comparing preliminary demo unit of S6 to latested S5 result after Lollipop update, not prelimnary S5 at last year's MWC.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Firmware improving battery is much more likely than improving camera. Camera is basically more hardware limited by lens, sensor quality though image processing algorithm can be tweaked. But battery depends on variety of factors like radio firmware, how multi-taking is done, how Wifi/GPS is managed, how basic apps are optimized, etc. This is why often major android update can hurt battery life than improving it when not done properly. I don't think the firmware in MWC unit would be the same one that will be on production unit.

Also how did they test talk time on international S6 unless it's somehow activated on local carrier? Still no one has seen carrier specific version of S6 yet. So their talk time number is just useless to most of us. Another issue with GSMarena review is that they are comparing preliminary demo unit of S6 to latested S5 result after Lollipop update, not prelimnary S5 at last year's MWC.

Glad someone that I am on the same page with after getting clobbered recently for my over exuberant comments.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

There seems to be a typo in their conclusion.

In the conclusion, they said s6 is quieter than s5.

In the audio portion of the review, they said its quieter than HTC one.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Rapid charge is nice, but I don't want to be a wall hugger, even for 15-20 minutes to get a 4 hour standby charge or longer to get a full charge. Plus battery cases are bulky and ruin the beauty of the device. My opinion has changed over the last few days about the removable battery, there has to be a way to build with "premium" materials and still achieve a removable battery. Also there has to be a way to still offer microSD they offer a SIM Card slot so why can't the microSD go with it, but just under or on top?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Rapid charge is nice, but I don't want to be a wall hugger, even for 15-20 minutes to get a 4 hour standby charge or longer to get a full charge. Plus battery cases are bulky and ruin the beauty of the device. My opinion has changed over the last few days about the removable battery, there has to be a way to build with "premium" materials and still achieve a removable battery. Also there has to be a way to still offer microSD they offer a SIM Card slot so why can't the microSD go with it, but just under or on top?

Having re-read the review again, I am less concerned about preliminary battery performance findings as they weren't great but would be enough to get through a day but not some folks and not me on a heavy use day. Firmware changes prior to commercial release should improve battery to be comparable to the GS5 even with a smaller battery. If it gets 5-10% more life, that's great.

For the expandable storage folks, this may not be for the US but I read that 100GB on OneCloud is being offered for free. So with the 64 GB GS6 you could be fine even with the 32GB.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

HTC used to build unibody devices with a slide in battery pack, I don't recall why they stopped though.

Borbor Carzola

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Having re-read the review again, I am less concerned about preliminary battery performance findings as they weren't great but would be enough to get through a day but not some folks and not me on a heavy use day. Firmware changes prior to commercial release should improve battery to be comparable to the GS5 even with a smaller battery. If it gets 5-10% more life, that's great.

For the expandable storage folks, this may not be for the US but I read that 100GB on OneCloud is being offered for free. So with the 64 GB GS6 you could be fine even with the 32GB.

IMO, software is not going to make this device catch with the battery life of GS5. Naturally, this is going to be a disappointment for a lot of GS5 (and other) fans. With that said, the battery life is greater than the IP6, which is what most consumers have and is the industry leader. Samsung has little to worry about if the battery life is greater than the IP6.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I am waiting to hear what real people say about the battery... from you guys and gals.... in this forum.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am waiting to hear what real people say about the battery... from you guys and gals.... in this forum.

I am just a interested visitor who learns from others. Well-known sites like this have folks that live, breath and eat this stuff.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I am just a interested visitor who learns from others. Well-known sites like this have folks that live, breath and eat this stuff.

Exactly. I learn from reading these forums. I expect to learn a ton about this battery life in the posts that happen around April 14th - April 17th. That is when everyone's device will settle in the "Android Groove". We should get a solid idea around that time.